CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

ac compressor 3rd time 95sts

Hi all:

Anybody have issues that keep occurring like this....my a/c compressor has fried the clutch for the 3rd time in about 1 and a half years now. I tried a rebuilt the first time, new the second...I am installing everything right, replaced the dryer orifice tube, put a vacuum pump on the system for an hour before putting in the 134. There was a mention of the condenser fan, or a relay. I just don't know?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance

Scott

With the accessory belt off, turn the clutch by hand. You should feel some resistance but it shouldn't bind. Check the accessory belt for excessive wear on the ribs - if excessive wear is found, that may indicate binding in the compressor. Also check the wiring from the clutch - the wires could have worn through and causing the issue.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Just a thought...

Could an incorrect AIRGAP on the clutch cause any of this?

Note likely but anything is possible. Usually, if the air gap is too wide, the clutch won't pull in all the time. If it is too narrow, the pulley will grind/squeal when the A/C is turned off.

on 3 different compressors???

This reply contradicts the information you provided earlier. Are you replacing the clutch only or the whole compressor? If you could post a picture of the damaged pulley assembly, it would help in diagnosing the problem.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

A seized compressor will scrap the clutch...something has to give. If the first clutch blew up

due to a seized compressor, chances are the system was full of crud. If you DIDN'T replace

the condensor, after the first failure, the second and third compressor are eating dirt, caught in the unflushable condensor.

My '96 clutch blew apart. The compressor was seized. There wasn't much crud on the orifice

tube.

rek

OK........now I am completly confused.

In the very first post, he says he is replacing the CLUTCH for the 3rd time in a year and a half.

Then in a couple of post before this post, he says he is replacing the entire compressor.

I am now wondering...the OTHER TWO TIMES...was the whole compressor replaced or was just the CLUTCH replaced.

Posted Image

A seized compressor will scrap the clutch...something has to give. If the first clutch blew up

due to a seized compressor, chances are the system was full of crud. If you DIDN'T replace

the condensor, after the first failure, the second and third compressor are eating dirt, caught in the unflushable condensor.

My '96 clutch blew apart. The compressor was seized. There wasn't much crud on the orifice

tube.

That was the reason I asked it he replaced the compressor or just the clutch in the first place. I was suspecting debris in the condenser and accumulator, not to mention the lines.

Out of curiousity, when you replace the compressor, what brand are you using?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I'm not sure, not AC Delco though, I bought the first one (rebuilt) from Blend Air out of Texas, and after that one went, I bought a new one from the same.

I'm not sure, not AC Delco though, I bought the first one (rebuilt) from Blend Air out of Texas, and after that one went, I bought a new one from the same.

That could be part of the problem. It is possible there is trash in the condenser from previous compressor failures that keeps taking out subsequent compressors. It is strange that you do not see any debris on the orifice tube though.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived