CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Radiator replacement

Hi!

I bought a used radiator for my 2002 STS. The one I found was from a -00 STS. I was planning to replace it last weekend but I discovered that it had an extra connection (Ø10.5 mm / ~13/32" on the right side, perhaps it is for a water-cooled alternator?

Besides that the radiators looked the same so the obvious question is if anyone knows if they are the same besides the "extra" pipe?

Going by part numbers only: the # for the 2000 is different than the # for the 2002. The 2000 # fits '98-00 models and the 2002 # fits 01-04 model years.

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

Going by part numbers only: the # for the 2000 is different than the # for the 2002. The 2000 # fits '98-00 models and the 2002 # fits 01-04 model years.

Hmm, it looks like it is the same except from the extra connection. I have the extra coolant capacity option i.e. engine oil cooler/automatic transmission cooler. The 2002 radiator has a molding at the location where the extra connection is on the 2002 radiator.

I guess I'll have to try and see!

My radiator seems to have been taking some beating..propably from a service. I didn't want to buy a new one because the $$$ involved. The only used one with a fair mileage on it was this one (also an extra coolant capacity cooler).

Didn't think there were changes made between 2000-2002.

You can try plugging the connection that you dont need with some hardware at your local hardware store. Just make sure the threads match.

I'll try that. My work takes all my time at the moment :(

Some photos of what you are describing might be helpful.........

I'll take some pictures, but the main question still remains. Are the radiator a direct swap except from the odd connection that needs to be plugged?

I can't see any reason why the fittings shouldn't have the same dimensions 1998-2004 (i.e for the tranny and engine oil end tanks) but many times reason has nothing to do with the real world ;)

I was hoping that someone here could tell me what that extra connection is for and if the radiator fittings have the same dimensions.

I could order a new one from the states even a none OEM one, but I prefer OEM and that would cost me about 700$..versus this one with 50000 miles on it and a 300$ price tag.

I have FSM:s for quite a few years for Cadillac Seville among others on CD :ninja:

This is thanks to a friend on the Swedish sub-forum who luckily found a CD on E-bay! :)

I verified that the extra connection is for the water-cooled generator on earlier Sevilles but unfortunately the fitting dimensions aren't mentioned for the other connections, beeing a mechanical engineer I obviously assume that they are the same, no reason for other dimensions over the years with the same engine and transmission right?...but I really would hate to have the car apart just to discover that those been-counters saved a dime making something smaller etc..this is the main reason I'm asking.

And please don't tell me to buy the right one ;)

I'm always very adamant with that on the Swedish sub-forum, buy right parts..and here I am..well ;)

Haven't spent a lot of time with my wife lately so the radiator change is postponed to next weekend. I realise that my question is a tough one but next weekend we'll have the answers! A worst case senario would be to change the radiator end tanks between the radiators but that would also include new gaskets to the end tanks.

I'll keep everyone updated!

Haven't spent a lot of time with my wife lately so the radiator change is postponed to next weekend. I realise that my question is a tough one but next weekend we'll have the answers! A worst case senario would be to change the radiator end tanks between the radiators but that would also include new gaskets to the end tanks.

I'll keep everyone updated!

Please do keep us updated.

I have been following this, and I am interested in the outcome.

Posted Image

Haven't spent a lot of time with my wife lately so the radiator change is postponed to next weekend.

Hmm......priorities

Haven't spent a lot of time with my wife lately so the radiator change is postponed to next weekend.

Hmm......priorities

Well the radiator leaks about 1/4 of a gallon/months so it is really no hurry but I still want to be on the safe side.

Wifey though needs immediate attention :P

An update on the radiator replacement! First of all this wouldn't be a thread at all if I had bought the right radiator but I thought I'd try anyway. Yesterday I started the change but it seems I have to make a halt because I can't get the oil cooler lines loose. They are stuck with rust...I'll give it one more shot then if it doesn't work I'll have to cut the lines and order new ones (or a set of used ones).

The work will hopefully continue at Thursday next week...

I had similar rust/corrosion problem. I shot the fittings with liquid-wrench a number of times to soak the fittings. Tapped on them every so often to set-up a vibration. I would have used a palm-sander for the vibration, but I wasn't in a hurry. I really didn't think these fitting would ever come out, but lo/behold each loosened both at the radiator and adapter! Upon reinstalling I coated the fitting threads with pipe-thread sealant.

I had similar rust/corrosion problem. I shot the fittings with liquid-wrench a number of times to soak the fittings. Tapped on them every so often to set-up a vibration. I would have used a palm-sander for the vibration, but I wasn't in a hurry. I really didn't think these fitting would ever come out, but lo/behold each loosened both at the radiator and adapter! Upon reinstalling I coated the fitting threads with pipe-thread sealant.

They are really soaked with WD-40, have tapped and managed to loosen one about 1 mm at the circumference...stop. And thats the easy one ;)

Looks like wife will get herself a new Jeep after all..had convinced her that we didn't need 2 cars :P

wd-40 and liquid wrench aren't the same. WD isn't much good for anything in my experience.

I'll try to get my hands on that kind of stuff! Don't really feel to use heat in that area...and besides that I don't have any fire extinguisher..that alwys works as a last resort.

The technique I used was: tap, with authority, the end of the correct size wrench with a rubber mallet.

The technique I used was: tap, with authority, the end of the correct size wrench with a rubber mallet.

I always do that...and tap the lug itself to to make the threads come loose.. It seems like anything else than 5-56 and WD40 is hard to get here in Sweden..The good stuff is always hard to get over here.

But finally! The upper one came loose! Just the bad one left :P

Liquid Wrench is a GUNK brand product. It's a penetrating-oil spray. There are other similar brands that prolly do the same job......

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Long time no see...

I'll give you an update! Today I finally laid my hands on the engine oil cooler line that was missing for the "project" so this weekend the car will be back on the road..hopefully ;)

It all started when the radiator blew because of severe injuries originating from a repair shop that I visited 2 years ago..at least that is what I think.

I ordered a used one from a junkyard because I didn't like the idea of spending a lot af $$$ for a new one. The one I got had an extra connection for a water-cooled generator otherwise it seems like it will be a direct replacement for the one that blew.

The next step was to remove the radiator whitch was quite easy and straight forward. Only thing was that I had to ruin one of the oil lines for the engine oil cooler because the pipe and the nut had corroded.

What took me all this time was mainly two things:

1) a LOT of work for the last two months or so..I have never been so encumbered with work in my entire life..weekend work, overtime, long travel times etc etc.

2) I'm stubborn..I didn't want to buy the pipe at the general parts distributor here in Sweden (because of long delivery time and twice the price comparing to buy it in USA)..so I had to find a place in the states which had the pipe. That wasn't hard to do but since I didn't have a lot of time to spend at the moment I was planning to buy one of the pipes for the automatic transmission too, just in case I wouldn't be able to disconnect it. So the plan was to find a parts supplier who had both the pipes (to reduce freight costs and taxes) and that seemed impossible. After spending time trying to find them I called the Swedish parts suplier and they said I had to wait for 14 days..no way I said and continued to search for the pipes on the internet and finally I called the Swedish parts supplier back an ordered the oil cooler pipe. What I have learned is that if I don't find the item I want on the internet (Rock-Auto etc.) I'll order from the local parts supplier..that will be a lot faster

Of course I could have asked you Body, but I thought this would be the easiest way since it would take some time to transfer money between my bank and Pay-Pal etc...that would also have been a lot faster..It always takes twice the time to save time and for every day the time went I was thinking "a transfer will take 2-3 days but if I find a supplier I can buy right away" ...yea stubborn..By the way, any news on the mirror glass? I would like your help in getting one...must find my Pay-Pal login information first :)

So here I am 1,5 months later and I still haven't replaced the radiator, but I least have the parts..I'll just have to find some time too!

I discovered that the radiator I bought isn't a direct fit. The lower automatic transmission cooler line hole has a different design on the older radiator (same diameter, different shape in the bottom). Now the options are to try with a cooler line to an older STS or change the plastic tank on the radiator to the one on my radiator or buy a new radiator..I can honestly say that I am so tired on myself at this moment. I should have bought a new one..that would have been much faster and without the problems that I have gone through..

I thought I could save some money but it surely wasn't worth it. I like to drive the car, not to have it standing still in the garage :(

Hi!

I bought a used radiator for my 2002 STS. The one I found was from a -00 STS. I was planning to replace it last weekend but I discovered that it had an extra connection (Ø10.5 mm / ~13/32" on the right side, perhaps it is for a water-cooled alternator?

Besides that the radiators looked the same so the obvious question is if anyone knows if they are the same besides the "extra" pipe?

Is this the extra connection your are talking about?? its on the right-bottom side of the radiator???

im currently leaking water from here when my car gets hot. I tried calling the dealer and they said its for the water-cooled alternator, but my car doesnt have that.

ughh. this really sucks...i will be calling the dealer again later on. hopefully i can get an answer.

post-10243-1245170139_thumb.jpg

Archived