CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Radiator replacement

I discovered that the radiator I bought isn't a direct fit. The lower automatic transmission cooler line hole has a different design on the older radiator (same diameter, different shape in the bottom). Now the options are to try with a cooler line to an older STS or change the plastic tank on the radiator to the one on my radiator or buy a new radiator..I can honestly say that I am so tired on myself at this moment. I should have bought a new one..that would have been much faster and without the problems that I have gone through..

I thought I could save some money but it surely wasn't worth it. I like to drive the car, not to have it standing still in the garage :(

Jan,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the radiator.

Hope you get it sorted out real quick so you can get back to driving your car and having fun.

Posted Image

I discovered that the radiator I bought isn't a direct fit. The lower automatic transmission cooler line hole has a different design on the older radiator (same diameter, different shape in the bottom). Now the options are to try with a cooler line to an older STS or change the plastic tank on the radiator to the one on my radiator or buy a new radiator..I can honestly say that I am so tired on myself at this moment. I should have bought a new one..that would have been much faster and without the problems that I have gone through..

I thought I could save some money but it surely wasn't worth it. I like to drive the car, not to have it standing still in the garage :(

Jan,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the radiator.

Hope you get it sorted out real quick so you can get back to driving your car and having fun.

I ordered a new one from Rock-Auto but they are telling me that the AC-Delco one is discontinued. There is a new one from AC-Delco but they haven't added it to their catalouge yet. I've always been happy with AC-Delco parts but I guess I'll have to try some other brand. Hopefully I won't have to do the brakes after having the car sitting this long. <_<

Hi!

I bought a used radiator for my 2002 STS. The one I found was from a -00 STS. I was planning to replace it last weekend but I discovered that it had an extra connection (Ø10.5 mm / ~13/32" on the right side, perhaps it is for a water-cooled alternator?

Besides that the radiators looked the same so the obvious question is if anyone knows if they are the same besides the "extra" pipe?

Is this the extra connection your are talking about?? its on the right-bottom side of the radiator???

im currently leaking water from here when my car gets hot. I tried calling the dealer and they said its for the water-cooled alternator, but my car doesnt have that.

ughh. this really sucks...i will be calling the dealer again later on. hopefully i can get an answer.

Yes it is! It seems like you have the "extra capacity cooler" but don't use it (because you have the recesses on the sides of the threaded hole for the engine oil cooler lines but no lines..) so it seems like someone had your radiator replaced once? You should be fine replacing that hose with a new one and put in some kind of plug. I made one from a Ø12 mm round bar (Ø15/32"). That should do the trick!

Yes!! I've just been in contact with the charming people at Rock-Auto and they are telling me that the new part number from AC-Delco seems like a direct replacement for for the old one. They will send me a new one..thats service! It seems like it won't be that expensive either! Keeping my finger crossed though <_< The best part is that I don't have to pay a cent to those rude, inpolite, offensive, ignorant xxx at Klintberg & Way in Stockholm :fighting0025:

Yes!! I've just been in contact with the charming people at Rock-Auto and they are telling me that the new part number from AC-Delco seems like a direct replacement for for the old one. They will send me a new one..thats service! It seems like it won't be that expensive either! Keeping my finger crossed though <_< The best part is that I don't have to pay a cent to those rude, inpolite, offensive, ignorant xxx at Klintberg & Way in Stockholm :fighting0025:

Jan,

Glad to hear that it is working out for you.

Good Luck. :D

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Finally back on the road again!! I picked up the radiator yesterday (by bus).

Removed the used one that I bought that didn't fit and installed the proper one today! Tabs and Dex, started and stopped when thermostat opened, waited and topped with Dex and took a nice trip (44 miles). No dragging brakes or something like that everything is just fine :)

I tested the car in a rather spirited manner, people was flashing their headlamps and waving with their hands ...or rather shaking their fists :P

I live on this little island (the next biggest in Sweden) known as a big vacation resort. Tourists driving at 30-35 mph when the sign says 55 deserve to be blown by when doing a Cadillac WOT, not my business that they can't handle that :P

That sounds like you were having fun.

Good for you.

I am glad you have it fixed right and can now enjoy your automobile.

Are you on Aland. or Gotland?

Posted Image

Good for you.

Öland. It is wonderful here if you like dry sunny weather, compared to Lund where whe lived for 3 years it is amazing! I was born just 45 miles from here, hard to get work as a mechanical engineer though. I am employed but it would be nice to change job and boss ;) We're planning on getting a house on the main land though, shorter distance to work and less tourists ..

Good for you.

Öland. It is wonderful here if you like dry sunny weather, compared to Lund where whe lived for 3 years it is amazing! I was born just 45 miles from here, hard to get work as a mechanical engineer though. I am employed but it would be nice to change job and boss ;) We're planning on getting a house on the main land though, shorter distance to work and less tourists ..

Here is Texas, we are having dry, sunny weather also. :D

For the last couple of weeks, it has been over 100 F every day.

The hottest temp, so far this year, has been 105F.

That is a little TOO dry and sunny. :D:D:D:D

On my map, LUND is just west of Skelleftea.

That is WAY farther north than where you are now.

I would imagine that it would also be much colder and more snowy in Lund, than where you are now.

Posted Image

Lund is actually in the souther part of Sweden, just 12 miles from Malmö, about the same latitude as Copenhagen (Köpenhamn) :) In Lund there is almost never a real winter, just rain. It seemed to rain all the time when we lived there.

Me and my wife was driving home after visiting my parents and the sky was all blue except from a pile of black clouds in the horizon. My wife asked me in what direction Lund was in I said "Follow the clouds"

105F! The highest temperature ever recorded in Sweden is 102 F. I was complaining about the heat here yesterday...79 F :lol:

Here in the souther parts of Sweden it's rather unusual to get snow that lasts for longer than a couple of days. Usually it snows and melts away in a couple of days. Last winter though we had about 12" for a couple of weeks. It's great fun to use the STS before the snow plows ruins the roads ;) Adaptive ABS (brake frequency varies with the grip), traction control and Stabili-trac on a FWD STS (with spiked winter tires) makes the car run like it was summer.

Lund is actually in the souther part of Sweden, just 12 miles from Malmö, about the same latitude as Copenhagen (Köpenhamn) :) In Lund there is almost never a real winter, just rain. It seemed to rain all the time when we lived there.

Me and my wife was driving home after visiting my parents and the sky was all blue except from a pile of black clouds in the horizon. My wife asked me in what direction Lund was in I said "Follow the clouds"

105F! The highest temperature ever recorded in Sweden is 102 F. I was complaining about the heat here yesterday...79 F :lol:

Here in the souther parts of Sweden it's rather unusual to get snow that lasts for longer than a couple of days. Usually it snows and melts away in a couple of days. Last winter though we had about 12" for a couple of weeks. It's great fun to use the STS before the snow plows ruins the roads ;) Adaptive ABS (brake frequency varies with the grip), traction control and Stabili-trac on a FWD STS (with spiked winter tires) makes the car run like it was summer.

OK...I found LUND on my map.

East of Copenhagen and just I little NE of Malmo.

The other one...up by Skelleftea..may actually be a part of Skelleftea...what we call a SUBURB.

I don't like constant rain.

In the NW area of the US...it rains a lot. I am glad I don't live there.

Hope you are enjoying your STS now.

Driving it in snow sounds like fun. :D:D:D

Today is Independence Day for America. July the 4th.

Me and Darling Wife are going to my brothers house later today.

He lives across on the other side of town.

He is cooking traditional July 4th beef brisket and beef ribs on the propane powered outdoor grill.

His daughter, son-in-law and their 5 year old are also coming to his house, along with our son.

He lives only two blocks from a large park where the city puts on a pretty spectacular fireworks display each year.

We will eat dinner at his house...visit for a while, then sit in his front yard and watch the fireworks display. It usually lasts for AT LEAST a half hour, sometimes more.

Then we go back inside my brothers Air Conditioned house for about an hour, to cool off and wait till all the spectator traffic clears out..then we go home. :D:D

It is usually a very enjoyable way to spend the evening, except for the heat.

Temperatures at fireworks time are forecast to be in the upper 90's.

Posted Image

Sounds like a great way to spend the evening! I think the Swedish people are about the only ones not knowing how to celebrate their own national holiday, it was just a couple of years ago when it became a holiday, before that you had to go to work as usual so you could really not tell the difference from any other day :(

Yesterday we were on a party (one of my wifes friends at her work through a party because she got this new apartment) and because we are not allowed to drive when over 0.02% alcohole concentration in the blood here in Sweden (which amounts to only one light beer) we took the bus just to be able to at least have some wine to the meat and sallad ;)

We could have taken a cab but then you'll have to pay $62.50 for a 15,5 mile trip (with a dollar equaling 8 swedish crowns) and have to ride in an old Volvo 960 or VW Passat diesel...never!

About the only thing I really would like besides a proper garage when buying a house would be air conditioning! It is rather rare to have in the houses because the temperatures usually never passes 80F in the summer, but I think it is hot enough when you're trying to sleep, had to buy a BIG fan just to be able to sleep :P

Archived