CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1991 el dorado coupe

adlcadi

hey guys. im new here and i need some help. i dont know if im on the right section so please help me out. well my dad has this 1991 el dorado coupe and it has a starting problem. well whenever you put the key in the ignition and you start it, it wont start and write on the display screen wait 3 mins. its the engine imbolizer (i dont know the write spelling) and it keeps doing that for like 3 or 4 times then it will start. i dono y this takes place. any ideas? thanx

Welcome to the forum! The theft deterrent system has two very fine wires attached to the ignition lock. They are used to read the resistance of the pellet in the key. These are known to break or come loose causing a no start condition. Sounds like your dad's car has a wire coming loose. You can get a factoryshop manual and fix it or have the dealer look at it. I have a 1991 shop manual that I tried to sell on eBay a couple of times. Let me know if you are interested.

Charles

hey guys. im new here and i need some help. i dont know if im on the right section so please help me out. well my dad has this 1991 el dorado coupe and it has a starting problem. well whenever you put the key in the ignition and you start it, it wont start and write on the display screen wait 3 mins. its the engine imbolizer (i dont know the write spelling) and it keeps doing that for like 3 or 4 times then it will start. i dono y this takes place. any ideas? thanx

Welcome to caddyinfo.com! You are on the right section. Your ignition key has a resistor with certain resistance which is supposed to complete an electrical security circuit. When it does not happen your car will act up as it does. First, spray some WD-40 on the key and into ignition lock cylinder. See if it helps. In the worst case scenario (that's what I believe is going on) the tiny wires inside the lock cylinder are moving south and will leave your dad stranded some day. You can bypass the security system by integrating a resistor bought at Radio-Shak in the circuit on the car's side. You should measure the resistance of your key and buy something close. Anothrer possibility is replacing the ignition lock cylinder.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

thanx alot guys for ur quick replies...well i was thinking the same thing about replacing the ignition. the main problem i have now is that i live in Egypt and no one over here knows how to deal with those old models coz they r not found anywhere.....so i am guess if i can fix that lock or change it. i am hoping i can fix it 1st b4 i can buy a new one. if possible can anyone help me with how to do that fixing.

thanx alot guys for ur quick replies...well i was thinking the same thing about replacing the ignition. the main problem i have now is that i live in Egypt and no one over here knows how to deal with those old models coz they r not found anywhere.....so i am guess if i can fix that lock or change it. i am hoping i can fix it 1st b4 i can buy a new one. if possible can anyone help me with how to do that fixing.

If the wires inside lok cylinder are about to fail, do not repair them. That repair is not going to last, because wires bend when you turn the key. Iwould recommend foling the system with inserted resistor. That's what I and many others have done.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

There is a fair amount of work in replacing the lock cylinder. You will need to take the new lock cylinder to a locksmith to have him re-key it to your existing keys. That will be cheaper than buying new keys at the stealership.

Also, you will need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate compressor in order to take apart the column far enough to access the cylinder.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived