CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Friend just bought a Cadillac!!

Marika

For $2,500, a dear friend of mine just picked up a nearly mint condition, white, 1975 Cadillac Hearse with the old "500" engine under the hood. I believe Eldorado had the same engine.

I'ts got about 79,000 miles on it, nearly mint condition, inside and out, and the engine runs "like a clock".

I saw it upclose and it's GIGANTIC. :lol:

I'm going to be photographing the car soon. I'll let everyone know the link to the images once they are uploaded to the Internet.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Seems like a great price for that type of car; I thought there was quite a market for former professional cars. Which company did the hearse conversion? What does you friend plan to do with it? Hopefully restore and enjoy.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I had a 74 Eldorado Conv. that had a 500 ci engine in it. I did a valve job on it, and the heads weighted a ton. Canary Yellow with a black conv top that car attracted a lot of attention no matter where it went. Once drove it to Florida, and had to replace a front hub bearing that nearly seized. 8 to 10 miles per gallon. The car was so big that when you jacked it up, the body flexed so much that the spaces at the door opening closed up! Mike

That really looks more like an aircraft carrier! :D

I remember as a kid how awesome it was to ride in a Cadillac Sedan DeVille!

Was like I was royality or something...Do seem to recall that it required

stopping for gas way more often than my STS ever does!

500ci-does anyone know the horsepower rating on that? :blink:

The horsepower was about 210 if I recall pretty poor, it was a low compression design and took regular. It was 4,960 pounds. I changed the valve guides to allow unleaded gas to be used.

Your statement about air craft carrier is accurate and cracked me up. If the street was too narrow you could not parallel park as the front bumper would hit the car across the street. I took it to chinatown, and could not park it on the street I had to put it in a lot! The hood weighted a ton! Everything on that car was massive but it was plush. However it was so cool riding down the New Jersey turnpike with the top down at 70, I can not tell you how much attention it got! Mike

I think the '74 500 engine was rated 365 HP.

Kevin, How is that measured SAE or the old method, check this site for the statistics:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/2...c/cadindex.html

Mike

The 365 HP was the method with all the accessories. The 500 engine was rated 400HP under the old system.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I think the '74 500 engine was rated 365 HP.

Kevin, How is that measured SAE or the old method, check this site for the statistics:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/2...c/cadindex.html

Mike

The 365 HP was the method with all the accessories. The 500 engine was rated 400HP under the old system.

If you look at that link I sent you it was 365 in 1971 then dropped to 180 in 77-78, it shows 210 in 1974, this change in measurement always confused me. What would the NS put out on the OLD method.... :unsure: Mike

My mistake. '71 must have been the model year when they switched rating methods.

The '77 & '78 Eldos had the 425 engine so that explains the 180 HP rating.

I would suspect that if you added 35-40 HP to the currrent rating, you'd be close to the old method.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

One of my father's friends was just given a 1989 Fleetwood from his brother. After the dealer only offered $500 for a trade-in, he figured he might as well give it to family. It has a whopping 183K and is in MINT condition. No rust, no cracks in the real wood interior. I was quite impressed

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

One of my father's friends was just given a 1989 Fleetwood from his brother. After the dealer only offered $500 for a trade-in, he figured he might as well give it to family. It has a whopping 183K and is in MINT condition. No rust, no cracks in the real wood interior. I was quite impressed

-Eric

Nice!

Seems like a great price for that type of car; I thought there was quite a market for former professional cars. Which company did the hearse conversion? What does you friend plan to do with it? Hopefully restore and enjoy.

I don't know yet who did the hearse conversion, when I find out, I'll post it. And for sure, it doesn't need much restoring.

There are clubs all over the world where members own a hearse, apparently, it's very popular. I think she's already joined such a club.

She's going to be using it as part of her business and part of her club membership.

http://www.tinkerswitchcrafts.com/

She makes all her items completely by hand using antique materials and all natural dyes and colors. She sells them at her website and on e-bay and they move, she really sells a lot of them.

The car is getting detailed now at a different shop. The original shop, some of the workers didn't want to touch it out of superstition.

I'm looking to buy a really nasty devil's mask to wear while she and I drive around town in it. Will make some people gasp, some people laugh, and others...well....I can expect at least a few will be calling the cops. LOLOL!!!!!!!!

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Thar she blows!

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B)

I had a 74 Eldorado Conv. that had a 500 ci engine in it. I did a valve job on it, and the heads weighted a ton. Canary Yellow with a black conv top that car attracted a lot of attention no matter where it went. Once drove it to Florida, and had to replace a front hub bearing that nearly seized. 8 to 10 miles per gallon. The car was so big that when you jacked it up, the body flexed so much that the spaces at the door opening closed up! Mike

The car is: Classic 1975 Cadillac Superior Crown White HEARSE

I don't know if Superior Crown was the converter or not. You would know better.

(By the way, she also owns an Escalade)

Archived