CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Adding remote CD player

Dave in Texas

My OEM radio is a tape player type. Radio system is great, but tapes are a pain. I've been using a personal single CD player, but that too is a pain. I'm wanting to buy/install a remote player in the trunk and use the radio system. If anyone has done this, I'd appreciate some advice. Recent long road trips has brought this back to mind. Thanks

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

My OEM radio is a tape player type. Radio system is great, but tapes are a pain. I've been using a personal single CD player, but that too is a pain. I'm wanting to buy/install a remote player in the trunk and use the radio system. If anyone has done this, I'd appreciate some advice. Recent long road trips has brought this back to mind. Thanks

On my 95 Deville I used to own, I bought a used universal remote cd changer off of ebay. I mounted it in the trunk, and put the remote unit on the dash. It was the fm modulator type. Worked great for 5 years until I got rid of the car. On the 98 that I have now I would like to install the gm unit, since the wiring is already in the trunk for it.

Thanks for the reply. I have no clue what "It was the fm modulator type" means. It had a fm radio in it too?

FM modulator type, means that it uses a tiny FM transmitter to broadcast the music to your existing radio.

You set your radio on a specific frequency and the remote CD player then plays thru your existing radio.

Some of them work pretty good. :D

Posted Image

Thanks for the reply. I have no clue what "It was the fm modulator type" means. It had a fm radio in it too?

FM modulator type, means that it uses a tiny FM transmitter to broadcast the music to your existing radio.

You set your radio on a specific frequency and the remote CD player then plays thru your existing radio.

Ah Ha! Turn the radio On, turn the player On, select the FM frequency......it plays? So...wires to the unit for power only? If so, it would be a simple install.

Ah Ha! Turn the radio On, turn the player On, select the FM frequency......it plays? So...wires to the unit for power only? If so, it would be a simple install.

Yep...the only wires you would need..would be to the CD player itself.

Some of them now have a wireless remote control (like your home TV) that you would keep up front to control it with.

Posted Image

I found a Bose for $96 with all the installation pieces/parts. FM modulation/anti-skip/remote and other do-dads. I need a new project.

I found a Bose for $96 with all the installation pieces/parts. FM modulation/anti-skip/remote and other do-dads. I need a new project.

Not a Bose, but a Boss brand(should always wear my glasses). It will arrive next week. Found the unit on ebay(suggestion from bigtone, thanks). Still 2 for sale, if anyone is interested....

Rec'd unit Friday. Install seems simple enough except for getting the control cable from the dash area into the trunk. Not sure where the unit should be mounted in the trunk to be accessible and out of the way too. Well, I'll figure something out....

My advice would be to forget about installing a CD player because they are essentially obsolete. Instead buy a MP3 player. You can buy an inexpensive MP3 player for autos on ebay. For example, here is a MP3 player that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. I bought this one but only the 1GB version. It works perfectly for an inexpensive MP3 player. In fact, songs are clearer on this little MP3 player than on my trunk-mounted CD player. Here is an MP3 with 4GB of memory. If you want, you can buy a regular MP3 that needs to be wired into an electrical source and simply mount it with Velcro, like my CD player remote is, or you can place it in a MP3 mount.

And transferring songs on CDs onto a MP3 is easy. Just copy the CDs to your computer and then use Apple iTunes (which is free to download) to convert them to MP3s. Then simply copy and paste them into the MP3 players memory.

My advice would be to forget about installing a CD player because they are essentially obsolete. Instead buy a MP3 player. You can buy an inexpensive MP3 player for autos on ebay. For example, here is a MP3 player that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. I bought this one but only the 1GB version. It works perfectly for an inexpensive MP3 player. In fact, songs are clearer on this little MP3 player than on my trunk-mounted CD player. Here is an MP3 with 4GB of memory. If you want, you can buy a regular MP3 that needs to be wired into an electrical source and simply mount it with Velcro, like my CD player remote is, or you can place it in a MP3 mount.

And transferring songs on CDs onto a MP3 is easy. Just copy the CDs to your computer and then use Apple iTunes (which is free to download) to convert them to MP3s. Then simply copy and paste them into the MP3 players memory.

Have no interest whatsoever in mp anything. CD player is fine for my needs......

Have no interest whatsoever in mp anything. CD player is fine for my needs......

OK! Then I suggest buying one from Best Buy and have them install it.

DAVE..........My Delco trunk mounted unit was bolted to the floor of the

trunk on the right side. The cable was run under the carpet.

The dealer had it installed by a outside vendor.

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

DAVE..........My Delco trunk mounted unit was bolted to the floor of the

trunk on the right side. The cable was run under the carpet.

The dealer had it installed by a outside vendor.

Thanks. I installed it and it works fine. Easy job!

The most difficult part was removing the rear-seat cushion and then getting the thing back in. Very tight fit. The sound insulation mat was all balled-up, from the factory install, too. I cemented that mess back properly to cover what it's supposed to cover. I have always thought the interior was more noisy than a Cadillac should be, now I know where that tire noise was coming from.

Archived