CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rear Shocks or Struts??

mike33

Hello Gentlemen, a couple questions.

1. What does my 2002 Deville DHS have on the rear? Shocks or Struts or both?

I'm getting some noise and leaking at the left rear.

Are these real expensive to have replaced at the dealer? If I used http://www.strutmasters.com/ would that be a good way to go.

Also, anybody (caddy person) in the Rockford IL area know how to replace these, and could use some cash? Or recommend someone other than Cadillac to do the install?

Thanks!

Struts in the front, shocks in the back.

Anything can be expensive to have done at the dealer; you'd have to ask them how much too expensive.

This is not something that HAS to be done at the dealer, but is something a competent mechanic can do.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it turns out my rear shocks are fine. The leak is coming from a ruptured air line going to the shock. The dealer said it creates a vacuum and water get blown in blah blah... I guess I tuned him out when he metioned $$$.

So, is the line rubber? Can I just use a duct tape? What are anybody's thoughts for patching this?

Tks! Mike

ote name='mike33' date='Feb 21 2009, 10:01 PM' post='142078']

Are these real expensive to have replaced at the dealer? If I used http://www.strutmasters.com/ would that be a good way to go.

Also, anybody (caddy person) in the Rockford IL area know how to replace these, and could use some cash? Or recommend someone other than Cadillac to do the install?

Thanks!

Well, it turns out my rear shocks are fine. The leak is coming from a ruptured air line going to the shock. The dealer said it creates a vacuum and water get blown in blah blah... I guess I tuned him out when he metioned $$$.

So, is the line rubber? Can I just use a duct tape? What are anybody's thoughts for patching this?

Tks! Mike

Tape is the last thing I would use for a permanent repair.

Two simple and inexpensive ways to repair a ruptured rubber hose after you cut the hose and remove any damaged rubber.

1) Use a short (1 or 2 inch) section of small OD copper line that will fit inside the existing rubber plumbing.

2) Use a short section of rubber hose that will fit over the OD of the existing rubber plumbing.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks Jim.

Tks! Mike

Tape is the last thing I would use for a permanent repair.

Two simple and inexpensive ways to repair a ruptured rubber hose after you cut the hose and remove any damaged rubber.

1) Use a short (1 or 2 inch) section of small OD copper line that will fit inside the existing rubber plumbing.

2) Use a short section of rubber hose that will fit over the OD of the existing rubber plumbing.

One source of small OD hose would be a hobby shop. You might get lucky and find a RC engine fuel line that would do the job.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I think they make kits to repair those air lines. Basically a simple splice. Tape would never hold.

Thanks Ranger, I have to find out what diameter hose I'm dealing with first. Anybody know of hand?

I don't, but check with a dealer. They may have a kit. Otherwise you can make something up after you get the size. I'd just get under it and measure it with a caliper.

I think they make kits to repair those air lines. Basically a simple splice. Tape would never hold.

Thanks Ranger, I have to find out what diameter hose I'm dealing with first. Anybody know of hand?

The dealer will have or can order a splice kit - I think it was $2.00 when I purchased one to repair a level control line on a '94 Fleetwood a few years back. Much easier than trying to come up with a repair that might not leak...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everybody know this repair is complete now. Turns out the air line was routed so close to the body that over the years it rubbed enough to cut half way thru it. By the way, the factory airlines are hard plastic very narrow with about a pinhole inside diameter for air travel.

I wanted to share with the board the type of hose I used to make the repair:

"Parker Parflex Series U 3/16 OD X 1/32 Wall"

Thanks. Mike

Thanks!

Archived