CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Motor Switch

anna44

Isn't the '85 Fleetwood FWD? What Chevy FWD engine would you want to replace the 4.1 with?

From time to time people ask questions about switching the 4.9L with a Northstar and the answer is always to forget about it because even assuming the engine will fit, there are electronics issues to consider. You would of course buy the engine and trans combo, right?

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to switch a 4100 motor to a chevy motor in an 85 cadillac fleetwood brougham?

Anna, so a search for EldoCountry or something like that. That site has all the info/photos you want about installing a GM V-8 in place of the 4.1L engine.

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to switch a 4100 motor to a chevy motor in an 85 cadillac fleetwood brougham?

Most anything is possible - it all depends on how much time and money you want to spend. If it would bolt up, you could install a Chevy 350 in the car but I would be concerned about the longevity of the existing 200-4R transmission...

Why do you want to change engines?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Most anything is possible - it all depends on how much time and money you want to spend. If it would bolt up, you could install a Chevy 350 in the car but I would be concerned about the longevity of the existing 200-4R transmission...

Kevin, have you ever had a 4100? They are dogs that can't get out of their own way.

Kevin, have you ever had a 4100? They are dogs that can't get out of their own way.

My Dad had a '85 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance. 20+ years ago. Beautiful car - In my opinion, the d'Elegance leather interior was the most beautiful interior of ANY automobile. He put almost 200,000 trouble free miles on that car and the guy who bought it drove it at least another 100,000.

True, they were underpowered but maintained properly, they would last.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived