CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trunk Release

JACK

Any ideas why trunk release will not operate with remote or under dash switch, fuel door release and all other functions with remote o.k. Thanks in advance for any help. By the way it's a 99 s.t.s.

Did you have work done recently, or overstuff the trunk?

check for a pinched/ broken wire/connector

Or it could be a bad solenoid in the trunk. Disconnect the connector in the trunk, and either check the resistance of the solenoid, or connect a test light, and see if it lights when the button is pressed. Hopefully it's just a loose connection.

a more involved diagnostic:

There is a test that can be run from the off/warmer diagnostic sequence, but I don't have it. it reports when the trunk release button is pressed, and it can open the trunk also. from what I remember, it was under the PZM options.

In the fuse/relay box under the rear seat bottom cushion, there is a relay identified as TRK RELAY. Swap in a similar style relay and see if that cures the problem.

Otherwise, you have a wiring problem or a failed solenoid.

(pg 8-1620)

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Any ideas why trunk release will not operate with remote or under dash switch, fuel door release and all other functions with remote o.k. Thanks in advance for any help. By the way it's a 99 s.t.s.

I had the identical problem with mine except it was highly intermittent and would not act up within two miles of my mechanic.

When last serviced, for an entirely different issue, it finally acted up and the trunk solenoid was found to be defective. What a relief to have that annoyance behind me!

Your solution may be different, but the solenoid failure is fairly common.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Thanks Warren, my problem seems to be the same as yours as it was intermittent for awhile before it quite altogether. I am going to have it checked out today, thanks again for your help.

Good luck finding your solution; let us know how you make out.

Feedback is how the members here profit from other folks' experience.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Went to my mechanic, and he worked his magic, now it works everytime. He did say that he has changed his trunk solenoid two or three times and that if it quit again that is what I would need. Thanks everyone for your help.

I had a similar issue a few years ago with my Fleetwood Brougham - The trunk release would work intermittently with the remote and the button in the glove box. It seemed as if it would only act up when someone was with me...

I started to troubleshoot it and when I unplugged the solenoid, I noticed the connecte pins on the solenoid were very loose. A new solenoid was $55.00 so I decided to drill out the rivets and have a look inside - I had nothing to lose. The pins were loose on the circuit board so I resoldered them, pop riveted the solenoid case back together and reinstalled it. It has worked fine ever since and it only cost me three pop rivets.....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived