CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1994 Fleetwood Brougham..... head gasket?

mademan

I took a 94 fleetwood brougham for a test drive yesterday, its in GREAT shape, interior is mint, body is great, all original o damage. Chrome is excellent. But the motor has 298,000 KILOMETERS (canadian) and the first thing I noticed is that the Coolant reserviour and Rad are full of oil. The car runs smooth, drives great, doesnt burn any oil, doesnt smoke, or leak......

Im wondering if the Elderly man that traded it in may have just accidentally filled the reserviour with oil??? or is it mabey the head gasket, or cracked block?

for the price im really not too concerned with it, as it will be a long term project (as with my 64 deville convertible 429 buckets/console car) I have an air suspension set up and everything already.

I have a 1994 roadmaster wagon with the lt-1 with 130Km on it lined up for $200.00. Im thinkin I may just do an engine swap as it is 1/2 the KM on it.

my only question really is.... Head gasket?... or?

sorry for the long readd, any help is much appretiated!

DSCF8207.jpg

DSCF8209.jpg

and a pic of my 64,.... just `cause :)

DSCF6965.jpg

thanks,

Mike

My guess would be the oil cooler in the radiator side tank is leaking. Oil pressure being higher than cooling system pressure will put oil in the cooling system. However, when it gets shut down, cooling system will still be under pressure and oil pressure will be zero so now coolant will mix with the oil. If it where a head gasket you might see coolant in the oil, but not vice versa.

Ranger's advice is right on. Check the oil cooler line in the radiator side tank for leaks. Head gasket failures in the LT1 engine are extremely rare. I wouldn't swap engines until when or if anything happens to the Cadillac engine. That's just my opinion though.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

NICE 64 Cadillac, is that a Hydramatic or Turbo-Hydramatic tranny. If my memory is correct, 64 is when the Turbo-hydramatic come our and some had it.

Ours had the Hydramatic. Our 65 had the Turbo Hydramatic with variable stator.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

NICE 64 Cadillac, is that a Hydramatic or Turbo-Hydramatic tranny. If my memory is correct, 64 is when the Turbo-hydramatic come our and some had it.

thanks! its the turbo hydromatic.

I also checked over the fleetwood.... turns out it is the oil cooler!!! thanks much to everyone who offered help! it is much appretiated. and by monday the fletwood will be in my driveway!

I also checked over the fleetwood.... turns out it is the oil cooler!!! thanks much to everyone who offered help! it is much appretiated. and by monday the fletwood will be in my driveway!

Does that have a sunroof?? Is it stock? Dang, that's rare.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Does that have a sunroof?? Is it stock? Dang, that's rare.

yes that is a stock sunroof

what makes it rare? factory option?

I've seen a lot of Cadillacs and to have a stock sunroof in the older ones is pretty rare. I've never seen one in a fleetwood.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Archived