CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'94 Eldo Trunk Will Not Close

Ion

Just noticed today that the little motor that grabs the lid and closes it is not doing it's job (trunk will no longer close all the way). Trouble-shooting advice? Might it be as simple as a blown fuse or might it be the motor?

What switch, next to what? Do you mean the plastic paddle next to the ring, that when the trunk hits it, it activates the circuit and causes it to pull the lid down?

I'll check that in the am. BTW...found an old post re: this same subject and the poster said he was able to do something along the lines of "wind it all the way down", and make it latch like a conventional trunk does. Since the key-fob activated servo has been dead for years and now this motor might be as well, I have no problem with conventionality. Will this work with my '94 if all else fails?

I'll check that in the am. BTW...found an old post re: this same subject and the poster said he was able to do something along the lines of "wind it all the way down", and make it latch like a conventional trunk does. Since the key-fob activated servo has been dead for years and now this motor might be as well, I have no problem with conventionality. Will this work with my '94 if all else fails?

Absolutely. I have done that to my 91 Seville and do not see why it would not work on your car.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Most of the time, the culprit is the upper latch switch. $14 at the dealer. But sometimes the lower switch gets confused. Try moving the paddle on the lower switch.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Absolutely. I have done that to my 91 Seville and do not see why it would not work on your car.

Can you describe how to do this? From first glance, it appears I have to take apart the little motor and disengage it from the shaft connected to the latch ring, then re-insert it when latch is all the way down, to prevent it from moving back up.

Can you describe how to do this? From first glance, it appears I have to take apart the little motor and disengage it from the shaft connected to the latch ring, then re-insert it when latch is all the way down, to prevent it from moving back up.

I did it seven years ago, so do not remember all the details. I took the part off the trunk and manually moved it to the desired position. I remember it was straight forward. I disabled the pulling motor but the release was still operational.

Got 'er done.

Had to disassemble the motor, pull out the rotor / screw from the stator, then insert it back into the shaft leading to the gear attached to the pulldown ring's shaft, then manually rotate it, in order to lower it into position. Bottom line...it worked. Thanks for the suggestion.

Got 'er done.

Had to disassemble the motor, pull out the rotor / screw from the stator, then insert it back into the shaft leading to the gear attached to the pulldown ring's shaft, then manually rotate it, in order to lower it into position. Bottom line...it worked. Thanks for the suggestion.

Good. At least you know it is not going to fail again.

Archived