CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Leaky fuel rail...

hello all, last couple days, i've noticed a faint smell of gas around my car...today i discovered a tiny pinhole leak in the hard plastic nylon tube on the fuel rail...the leaking tube is the one closest to the FPR...i searched the archives, but didn't find an answer to my question, which is: is it possible to remove that piece of tubing and replace it with a rubber hose...if so how is it removed...if i can't use a rubber hose, is the original style tube available at the dealer...i have a feeling that this is going to end up being a little more difficult & expensive than i hope...well guys, let me know...thanks, bob

I just went/still going through a fuel rail problem. I'm not sure if you can use any type of fuel line or a dealer specific one. I do know that I had to replace the o-ring and retainer where the fuel comes in and they had a seperate repair kit containing 4 rings, two clips and the retainer, so maybe the say a seperate kit to do the lines. Good luck, let us know what you find out if you talk to the dealer.

Eric

If I remember right we have touched on this subject not too long ago. Try a search of this board. The fuel rail is serviced as one piece and is expensive. Bbobnski has mentioned a material to repair it with, but I can not remember what it is. Keep your receipts though because everyone is waiting for an upcoming recall.

The fuel line are being recalled right now. They are being replaced with stainless steel lines.

There really is not a good way to fix the plastic lines. The system is running about 40 psi....most backyard repairs will fail...

Logan,

What do you know about the recall? Last I heard it was only for the Olds 4.0. I have not received any recall from Cadillac..... yet. What years is it supposed to include? All Northstars?

Also, would it not be a good idea for Eldorado Bob to report this to the NTSA to reenforce the problem or is the recall well under way and needs no more documentation?

Eldorado Bob,

You should discuss this with your local dealer. The recall on the Olds 4.0 may cover the Cadillac and if you start talking now, that may help get their attention. Good luck. You may also want to talk to NTSB if the dealer shuts you down.

Phillip, yeah, i saw the recall info for the olds northstars..i called three dealers in my area and none were much help...basically all said the same thing...they all asked for my vin# and since no fuel rail recall showed up for my car, they don't want to hear anything...i also called cadillac(thier headquarters, i guess, i got the number from the NHTSA website), and they are right in line with the dealers, i got the exact same bulls*** from them...i guess i will try the NTSB next....i'll keep you posted...thanks, bob

Larry, to try and answer your question, i typed in my vehicle info on the NHTSA website and a recall did show up, but only talks about the 4.0 V8, BUT it says that the potential number of units affected are 483,477 which obviously includes more than just the Oldsmobiles...BTW, the summary of the recall is exactly my problem and even tells hoew the 1995 model uses a "unique underhood fuel rail line that may crack at unusually high rates".....i will continue to be on top of this as much as possible...bob

This should get your dealers attention:

NHTSA Action Number : EA04003 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : 04V110000

Make : CADILLAC Model: DEVILLE

Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Year : 1995

Component : FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE

Date Investigation Opened : February 3, 2004

Date Investigation Closed : April 23, 2004

Summary:

ON MARCH 3, 2004, GENERAL MOTORS NOTIFIED ODI THAT IT WAS RECALLING APPROXIMATELY 94,000 MY 1995-97 OLDSMOBILE AURORA VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.0L V8 ENGINES (RPO L47 - VIN8 "C") TO ADDRESS CONCERNS WITH UNDERHOOD FUEL LEAKAGE FROM CRACKED FUEL RAILS AND, IN SOME OF THE VEHICLES, CRACKED FUEL RETURN LINES. ACCORDING TO GM, THE NYLON TUBING (PA12) USED IN THE FUEL RAIL CONSTRUCTION IN THESE VEHICLES MAY DEGRADE AND CRACK. GM'S SUPPLIER ATTRIBUTED THE CRACKING TO THE COMBINED EFFECTS OF HEAT, TIME, ALCOHOL FUEL, FUEL PRESSURE CYCLING, AND DESIGN STRESSES. IN ADDITION, GM STATED THAT THE MY 1995 AURORA USES A UNIQUE UNDERHOOD FUEL RETURN LINE THAT MAY ALSO CRACK AT UNUSUALLY HIGH RATES. GM DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW FUEL RAIL CONSTRUCTED OUT OF STAINLESS STEEL IN ALL OF THE RECALLED VEHICLES AND WILL ALSO INSTALL A REVISED CHASSIS FUEL RETURN LINE IN THE MY 1995 AURORAS. ON APRIL 16, 2004, GENERAL MOTORS NOTIFIED ODI THAT IT WAS ADDING APPROXIMATELY 389,000 MY 1995-97 CADILLAC SEVILLE, DEVILLE AND ELDORADO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.6L V8 ENGINES (RPO'S LD8 AND L37 - VIN8 "Y" AND "9") TO RECALL 04V-110. THE RECALLED CADILLACS WILL RECEIVE THE NEW STAINLESS STEEL FUEL RAILS. THIS ENGINEERING ANALYSIS IS CLOSED.

So why haven't I recieved a recall notice yet? How long does it take? Is it a "recall" or a "campaign"? What is the difference?

OK, maybe I partially answered my own question. I did a search on the NHTSA web site and up came campaign no.04V110000. It said notification "began" tomorrow 06/02/04. Guess I'll wait a bit and see if a recall shows up in the mail in the next month or two.

Your GM dealer doesnt know?...hhhhmmmm imagine that. They dont know about 10 year old TSBs.

I am sure people will post when the letters come in.

Anyways....pretty hard to build 500,000 stainless steel fuel lines overnight.

It will take maybe 12-14 months or more to fix them all.

If your system is currently leaking. Just have it replaced with a new plastic one. Save the bill...and submit it for a refund. Have GM pay for the repair.

Wish I was in the stainless steel fuel rail business.

Anyone recall That I said I was going to raise wholly smell about it when I discovered that my fuel rail was leaking?

Anyone recall that I siad I would not stop until they did something?

Never underestimate a Marine in action, on a mission! A lot of people though I was over - reacting, thought that it was a joke, Then I posted about someone being killed in a fire here after their CADDY caught fire in the garage when they returned home from a long trip. No one replied to that post.

Obviously GM now thinks it's warranted to recall and replace the defective part.

I have a 49 chevy Pickup that has been in the family since new, it still has all the factory fuel lines in it and none leak! Same for my 72 Impala. Fuel lines should only leak when damaged , not just sitting there.

My back yard repair has held for like 6 months now, I used regular fuel line of a magic length and a rubber based pad to keep it from rubbing and special clamps from a inprt shop, the clamps we the magic of the repair as they are specific to fuel lines and were the only ones that would hold the right pressure to the fuel line. I tried to use high pressure fuel line, but it would not stretch onto the plastic nipple, no matter what.

I can't wait to get my new fuel rails as I pull the top off and check for leaks every time I change oil. And it's getting old. Plus, I carry the tools and supplies for another repair.

MC

Archived