CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1990 eldorado

bilzshop1

my 1990 eldorado cuts off,but restarts instantly.I might drive 30 feet or 2 miles before it quits.I replaced the pickup in the distributor,the fuel filter and did a tune up,but nothing changed..the computer gives no info on what the problem is,any suggestions?thanks

:welcomesmiley:

I'm not the expert on the 4.5 liter so others will check in with expert knowledge of that drivetrain. Everything I say here is predicated on there being no codes, and I'm assuming that you know how to pull the codes, not just look for them on the driver's information center.

First, make sure that the spark plugs are not really old. Other than that, the first things that come to mind are water in the gas and the fuel pump. Since you've changed the fuel filter and it didn't help, I would look at the fuel pump. If it helped even temporarily, I would look for water in the gas first, then the fuel pump.

Another thing that can cause these symptoms is a clogged exhaust, most often a clogged catalytic converter. Nearly always there are other symptoms including codes for catalytic converter efficiency, though, and you didn't mention these. Months or weeks before a clogged exhaust causes stalls, the gas mileage will decrease, and the torque at lower RPMs will increase while the torque at higher RPMs will decrease. These get worse and worse, and in extreme cases the engine can't achieve high RPMs and the car won't pull hills. You may be able to hear a hiss out the exhaust from outside the car. Without any of these symptoms, even slightly, a clogged exhaust isn't likely your problem.

One thing you can do if it is save and convenient when the car stalls: hop out and sniff the tailpipe. If it smalls like gas, the ignition is cutting out. If it it odorless, it's the gas that's cutting out. If it's a loose connector on the ignition that survives your inspection under the hood, this can flag that and save you the money of a fuel pump.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons on the climate control panel. Write down the codes that are displayed and post back. If any codes are stored, they will provide a clue on where to begin troubleshooting.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 months later...
Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons on the climate control panel. Write down the codes that are displayed and post back. If any codes are stored, they will provide a clue on where to begin troubleshooting.

I got a load of codes...ro26-r033-r061-eo41-eo52-b448-and b552.......the e041 is the one that for no cam signal from the ign.control module is the one that probally is causing the trouble......any ideas will be appreciated,thanks

I got a load of codes...ro26-r033-r061-eo41-eo52-b448-and b552.......the e041 is the one that for no cam signal from the ign.control module is the one that probally is causing the trouble......any ideas will be appreciated,thanks

The only related code is E41 - Cam Sensor Signal Problem. Your Hall effect switch went south. It is inside of your distributor. There is a procedure to test it. The symptoms you described point to that sensor as well.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The only related code is E41 - Cam Sensor Signal Problem. Your Hall effect switch went south. It is inside of your distributor. There is a procedure to test it. The symptoms you described point to that sensor as well.

Archived