CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

NO BATTERY CHARGE

notch8

Hey guys

Car was fine this morning for church. Started it 1/2 hour ago-NO BATTERY CHARGE- in BOLD letters! Won't go away either.

Car has 78k, original alternator, has ALWAYS shown 13.2-13.5vdc on the display, 2year old batt. that;s good.

Will get the FSM out-just looking for advice from the pros!

Thanks-Roger

Get the OBD II codes and post them here. Here's how:

That will likely tell whether it is the alternator or whatever.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Current battery reading: 11.85VDC with engine off & acc. off, 11.53VDC with engine running & acc. off.

Codes: pc0603-history

IP1911-history

Under the IPC section:

96 DIM POT

IP D01.

I don't have ANY idea what the readouts under the IPC section mean, the wife was playing with the buttons!

The ONLY display on the DIC, with engine running is: BATTERY NO CHARGE. With key on, engine off-11.4VDC on DIC.

It appears my generator is going or has gone south! Thoughts?

Roger

Current battery reading: 11.85VDC with engine off & acc. off, 11.53VDC with engine running & acc. off.

Not good.

It appears my generator is going or has gone south! Thoughts?

Roger

I agree. It would be worth checking the "major" terminal connections for corrosion before you purchase your replacement parts.

And if you plan to keep the car for any length of time, DO NOT buy an aftermarket parts house rebuilt alternator. Best approach is either a rebuilt unit from a GM dealer OR have your alternator rebuilt by a reputable shop in your area.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

JimD

Rog-O on the "not good"! I'll check the connections in the morning. FSM says to check for batt. voltage @ L terminal with engine running. It couldn't be something as simple as worn out brushes? Anybody ever rebuild their own? I'm game!

Thanks-Roger

ps Wifey will just have to drive the ole 91 f150 for awhile,lol.

B1911 Generator L-Terminal Problem

If you could get it to start, this code would likely be Current. As for the IPM "codes," it sounds like you were looking at the IPM data, not the trouble codes. The L-terminal problem likely means a bad alternator, or, as I sometimes call them when they get my attention this way, the altercator. Brushes usually go far over 100,000 miles, but in a 96, it is possible.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Update: After wasting time at Advance & Autozone, I found an old time alternator/starter repair shop ran by 2 guys, 60ish, fix these things in their sleep, parts stacked 4' high everywhere, I immediately fell in love with the place. My alt. output was sticking around 11.5vdc then up to 14vdc. Possible bad diode-no! The man had it apart in 2 minutes, cleaned the comms. up, brushes were still 3/4" long-new are 1", cleaned a little oil from around the brushes, reassembled, tested and I'm on my way. He wouldn't take a dime! He saved me big time & the delco-remy will go back on tomorrow.

Turns out the battery is bad, sams club 108 mo. that's 44mo old. A new everstart maxx goes in tomorrow.

Checked alternator L circuit- its shorted to ground at c101 but not at alternator connector end, also no continuity on red L circuit wire from c101 to alt. end. Will run new wire.

Once I get batt. voltage to alternator L term., I should be good, I think! Just hope the short didn't hurt the PCM signal, I'll find out tomorrow & post results.

Roger

To paraphrase W.C. Fields, "Never trust a battery with two terminals." I would watch for bent terminals in the connectors as a possible cause of the short/open condition. If the L terminal connector is pushed back into the connector and shorting to another connector, that would mean that all you need to do is straighten the terminal and re-insert into the connector.

Last update: MY bad, I was checking the wrong c101 connector end, lol. Checked the correct end-no problems with red "L" wire. Solution: Alternator tune-up and a new battery-problem solved. Now showing 14VDC on DIC.

Thanks

Roger

Last update: MY bad, I was checking the wrong c101 connector end, lol. Checked the correct end-no problems with red "L" wire. Solution: Alternator tune-up and a new battery-problem solved. Now showing 14VDC on DIC.

Thanks

Roger

Roger what did you do, have your alternator rebuilt? Glad you got it fixed, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Hey Mike

I found an oldtime repair shop in Huntington, Wva, the guy said let me see that, tested it, said let's look at the brushes, he polished the slip rings (the copper commutator rings) and cleaned the brushes and brush holder, a little oil on them-don't know how it got there, of course he unsoldered & resoldered the brushes to get them out, reassembled it, tested it-done. No new parts were needed. He said there's not much to these things,lol. No, not to a pro! He wouldn't take pay either-another GOOD man!!

I did notice, with a test light, that I have a small parasitic drain. I'll put an amp. meter on it tomorrow to get the amount and if over 30mA see if I can find it. Thank goodness for the FSM.

Roger

Archived