CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Wipers Won't Shut Off

Ranger

My daughter calls me at work to tell me her wipers came on when she started the car ('02 SLS) and won't shut off. Ever try explaining to a woman how to unplug the wiper motor over the phone or even how to locate the wiper motor for that matter? She is in a parking garage at work. Think someone would stop and help seeing a woman under the hood? Got her to locate the motor, but she can't get the plug safety retainer loose. So I send her to the fuse box. Got there OK, but she can't figure out which fuse from the diagram on the cover, so I send her to the owners manual. Either she read it wrong or it's a misprint because the fuse she pulled didn't help. By now a security guy comes to help and he finally is able to figure out the plug on the motor.

So, not only were the wipers running, but it pumped the fluid dry. That leads me to think the problem is in the stalk. Another clue is that she said after it was unplugged and she was about to leave, the wash button fell off the end of the stalk and when she popped it back on, it was depressed and did not pop back out. Obviously (this just happened) I have not seen the car yet and won't till this weekend, but I'm thinking it's the stalk. Whether or not I can repair it as opposed to replacing it is yet to be seen. Any of you Seville guys experience anything like this?

I can replace the stalk (not the turn switch) in my vehicle in under 5 minutes. I seem to recall reading on this forum that the Seville requires the column to be dropped in order to replace the stalk. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Looking at the '02 Service Manual I see that all descriptions of replacing the "Turn Signal and Multifunction Switch Assembly" refer to the column as being "Off Vehicle." It then links to info on removing the column. The instructions for assembly replacement vary according to whether you have manual/auto tilt and/or telescoping.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I checked the FSM this morning and it appears to be a pretty simple job. Doesn't look like the column has to be dropped. This stalk is on a dedicated wiper/washer switch. Not the "multifunction switch". It appears to be attached to the side of the column as opposed to down inside of it.

I checked the FSM this morning and it appears to be a pretty simple job. Doesn't look like the column has to be dropped. This stalk is on a dedicated wiper/washer switch. Not the "multifunction switch". It appears to be attached to the side of the column as opposed to down inside of it.

Excellent! I was afeared for you. Glad to hear it looks so much simpler. Regrets for my misunderstanding.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Excellent! I was afeared for you. Glad to hear it looks so much simpler. Regrets for my misunderstanding.

Regards,

Warren

Well Warren, as it turned out your fears where well founded. FSM always makes it look easier than it really is. I did in fact need to drop the column because there was no way to get at the connector that ran down the column and disappeared somewhere. I was bound and determined not to go through that. Good old Yankee ingenuity and stubbornness took over. I ended up disassembling the switches, unplugging the stalks from both switches and swapped the new stalk in the old switch and reassembled it. Worked like a charm.

Sometimes stubbornness is rewarded. Congrats! :yupi3ti: Any pix?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Archived