CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Is there a way....

Dave in Texas

Yes, for the auto-pulldown unplug it, take it apart, wind it to the 'down' position, and put it back in. Leave it unplugged.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Great, thanks Bruce. I'm in the midst of replacing my engine and found out the hard way that I couldn't close the trunk unless the battery was installed......I thought for sure there must be a manual way to do that, but nope! Had to hook the battery back up just the close it!

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

An easier way might be to crawl in the trunk with a flashlight and have a TRUSTED friend close the lid. After it pulls down unplug it and then have him/her unlock it and let you out. DO NOT TAKE THE KEYS IN THERE WITH YOU.

Great, thanks Bruce. I'm in the midst of replacing my engine and found out the hard way that I couldn't close the trunk unless the battery was installed......I thought for sure there must be a manual way to do that, but nope! Had to hook the battery back up just the close it!

I ran into the same exact problem last year and manually operated the closer by jumping it with a battery until it was to a point that it pulled the lid down sufficiently so that rain water didnt get into it.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 4 weeks later...

"Yes, for the auto-pulldown unplug it, take it apart, wind it to the 'down' position, and put it back in. Leave it unplugged"

ok, so I got around to this part of my project. Took everything apart, did some contact cleaning/shuffled that blue-lube around, but the lid would not 'hook' the striker at the fully-down position so the operation is a bust. I decided to return to regular function, but something is wrong. The pull-down motor works/the release solonoid works, but the striker doesn't seem to contact the hook. It contacts it enought that it activates the pull-down motor, but doesn't grab the hook. The electical connector has a 'toggle' that faces the striker and I think that toggle is supposed to ride in-between the two 'lips' on the electrical-connector side of the striker to activate the up/down motion of that toggle. Mine does not do that. SO, my question is: What is the travel of the striker at it's fully Up position? I unwound the striker until it starting binding. At that binding point the toggle is not within the lips of the toggle activator, which is prolly my problem, but I want to be sure of the correct amount of striker travel before I take it all apart for the gazillionth time. The travel I have now is .3"/8mm. If it should be more, I have to figure-out what is binding and why.

Also: what is the function of that spring-loaded 'flap' on the top-side of the electrical connector?

Foolishly, I thought this would be a simple thing......LOL. I broke/bruised my mantra of: if it ain't broke, don't fix it, so it serves me right.

help..........? Thanks

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

Archived