CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Engine Stall, Previous Tranny Replacement

I'm hopeing someone can help me with this one. I have done I believe adequate research and yet haven't quite narrowed down the problem.

I have a 2002 Caddy Deville with approx. 25000 miles on the vehicle. The transmission was replaced last spring due to the vehicle shifting in and out of gear. Dealer fixed it.

Since then...

Two months ago I had to replace the battery. I don't know if this has anything to do with the stalling issue, but figured I would throw in the details. The vehicle has been stalling out perodically. This would normally happen after coming to a stop. While driving, the vehicle would seem to buck slightly, then turn itself off. The vehicle would restart without a problem. The car has not stalled during a rainy drive.

Checking the codes I did not come up with anything idicating the usual crank positioning sensors that seem to plague alot of caddy owners. I came up with only 2...

IPM B0429 : Temperature Control Rear

PDM U1714 : Window Motor Normal Speed Comm.

Today it happened again, but this time on the highway going 55 and had to pull off to restart. The check engine light illuminated as it does and I rechecked the codes and found only the same as previously listed.

Just recently I found this after the codes were cleared from what had transpired today.

IRC U1016 : Loss of communication to PCM.

I have cleared all codes in the event that it will happen again, as I know it will.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

:welcomesmiley: and thank you for posting.

You can find a stall diagnosis chart here that may be of use, although it is heavy on using a diagnostic tool to check stuff.

My guess with stalling in Northstars is always Fuel Pressure Regulator first.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Have you ever had the CKP (Crankshaft Position) sensors replaced? GM had a bad supplier from 2000 - early '03 and your symptoms are exactly what will happen. Sometimes they set a DTC and sometimes they don't. There are 2 "A" & "B" sensors. They are above the oil filter adapter, which needs to be removed to access them. If yours are original, change them both.

I agree with Ranger, if those are the original crank sensors you need to change them, 02 is like the worst year for the crank sensor problem.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thank you very much for everyones input.

Like I mentioned previously, I never received the crankshaft position system code so I "assumed" that it may be another cause. Ranger, if what you are saying is true about the bad batches Caddy had received for 3 years, then I will go ahead and replace them both. This appears to be the easiest and cheapest route to go first.

I'll repost after the change out of the sensors and give everyone an update.

Again, thank you. :)

• 2 months later...

my 2000 deville that i got a month ago has been shutting down after i leave it and it idles for about 5 minutes. it started the redlight stall thing too, periodically, and just today, after coming to a stop, i took off and it bucked, as it the transmission was going out all a sudden, then went on light nothing happened. the transmission seems to be shifting ok, i wonder if my crankshaft position sensors need replacing also. i dont get the code for that but i do get the code for the torque converter lockup, but the transmission seems to shift just fine.

If the code you are getting is for the TCC NOT disengaging, then that is your problem. It's much like trying to stop a standard shift without stepping on the clutch.

• 3 months later...

Well, it has been several months since I changed out the two sensors in the Caddy. And l just wanted to stop in right quick and let everyone know that the problem were the sensors. Since the replacement, I have not had trouble with it stalling or shifting since.

So once again, a big thank you to everyone for your help. You saved me alot of grief and heartache.

;)

Archived