CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Removing Gold plating - HELP!!

philipk

Hello All,

I just got a diamond white DTS with Gold emblems. No offense to anyone, but I like my chrome and not gold. Any one know what is the best way to remove the gold? Polish them? Re-Plate them?

Thanks,

Phil

I wish you had a '97 or I had a 2000, I'd love to trade you. Probably the cheapest way to go would be replace them would be my guess.

If you polish them, your emblems will look like stainess steel as opposed to mirror chrome. I would imagine you could work with them long enough to brong the mirror back, but when I tried to save an old faded emblem from my Concours that is what I ran into.

If you want the perfect mirror finish, just replace them all. That would be the cheapest way, then sell your gold ones on eBay if they are nice shape.

Aqua Regia (a mixture of hydrochloric acid and nitric acid) dissolves all gold however, it will leave the metal substrate exposed and I can guarantee you, it won't look pretty.

Get chrome medallions from the dealership or somewhere else and just swap them out and be done with it.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

New factory emblems are too cheap to fuss with. From memory....

DTS/ DHS / Deville emblems are like $10 each.

32Vnorthstar ...$10.

Cadilllac wreath and center emblem. Like $10 each new.

The only other is the hood ordiment. You can have mine.

Thanks all.

I think buying new ones, and selling the old ones on ebay would be the best thing to do.

Anyone want to trade their silver exhaust tips for gold ones? =)

Phil

Aqua Regia (a mixture of hydrochloric acid and nitric acid) dissolves all gold however, it will leave the metal substrate exposed and I can guarantee you, it won't look pretty.

Not to mention that an acid as strong as that will damage the surrounding paint finish....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Not to mention that an acid as strong as that will damage the surrounding paint finish....

I would think anyone working with Aqua Regia would be intelligent enough to REMOVE the emblems etc from the vehicle before working on them. LOLOL!!! :huh:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived