CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Automakers increasingly reuse plastics and fabrics to save costs, trash

Bruce Nunnally

Detroit Free Press

Empty water bottles, old carpeting and even old jeans are ending up in cars -- and not just thrown in the backseat or trunk. They're being recycled and turned into car parts, such as insulation and instrument panels, as automakers increasingly use recycled parts to cut costs and waste.

In the Cadillac XLR, CTS and STS models, GM uses a mix of new plastic and recycled tires as insulation to keep engine noise out of the vehicle interior. Nissan Motor Co. uses recycled front bumpers to make splash shields to go around the tires and also brackets that reinforce new front bumpers.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I'm not sure about recycled Hondas and Nissans in my Cadillac, except possibly as sound-deadening materials or fillers. :huh:

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I'm not sure about recycled Hondas and Nissans in my Cadillac, except possibly as sound-deadening materials or fillers. :huh:

Maybe we could grind some of them up and make undercoating out of them. :D

My Bridgestone tires are real noisy.

A good undercoating of ground up Nissans might quieten it down. :D

Posted Image

I just got a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960A Pole Positions, and they don't seem to be noisy. Of course, that could be because of my Borla ProXS straight-through mufflers and lo-restriction cat B) or perhaps my choice of music. Or, maybe this particular model of Bridgestone isn't as noisy as some other models of Bridgestone tires. Or some combination. Whatever.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived