CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Turn your iPhone into a dyno?

[best reason I have seen so far to get an iPhone! - bruce]

Introducing: Dynolicious

Dynolicious is the first automotive performance meter available for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Dynolicious uses the hardware built-in to your iPhone to measure the performance characteristics of your vehicle. No external wires or equipment is necessary, simply slip the iPhone into a cradle or cupholder and go!

Some of the performance metrics Dynolicious can measure:

* 0-60 Acceleration

* 1/4 Mile Elapsed Time

* Lateral G's

* Horsepower

Unlike other accelerometer-based performance meters, Dynolicious uses the advanced data-handling and display capabilities of the iPhone to make the most of your performance testing. Dynolicious maintains a history of test runs, showing you averages and trends in your results. Dynolicious also allows you to enter modifications performed to your vehicle, and will instantly show before-and-after results to easily identify gains or losses.

graph3.pngresults3.png

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Uh, if this is a Cooper mini, I can believe the 16+ second quarter mile, but the maximum realized horsepower of 229 hp doesn't hang with the other numbers, unless the car weighed over 5,000 pounds during the run. The left-hand displayed time of 13 seconds ET is more like a match with 229 hp, but how do you get 229 hp to the road in a Cooper mini?

Does the iPHone have an accelerometer in it, or is it just using a GPS?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Apparently the iPhone 3G has an accelerometer in it for the purpose of determining if you have flipped it sideways or not, so it can swap from portrait to landscape. So the software ($12) takes advantage of the existing hardware.

No way to comment on the consistency of the data in the screen shots; I was mostly interested to see what data was output, which seems fairly detailed.

Bruce

• 1 month later...

devtoaster

Here is an iPhone application that lets you use your Iphone as a OBD output engine monitor. Apparently they have the software working and a prototype of the remote for the hardware but are not shipping it yet.

Rev Features

Built-in Metrics (No special hardware required)

* Lateral and Forward Acceleration: Graph your cornering, braking and acceleration G-forces. (Available in Rev Lite)

* GPS Track: Visual track displays your location and acceleration data - see how you are braking and accelerating around corners. (Available in Rev Lite)

topo.png

OBD Metrics (Requires OBD-II/WLAN interface hardware)

* Vehicle Speed

* RPM

* Fuel Consumption

* Engine Coolant Temp

* Fuel Pressure

* Calculated Engine Load

* Throttle Position

* Intake Manifold Pressure

* Air Intake Temp

* Timing Advance

* Mass Air Flow

* Fuel Level

* Barometric Pressure

* EVAP System Vapor Pressure

* Fuel Trim

Visual Representations

* Gauge: Displays a moving needle and LED display to show current reading

* Graph: Displays current value over time

Engine Code Retrieve and Reset

Want to know why your Check Engine light is on? Rev will tell you why!

* Engine code checking

* Listing of all engine codes thrown by the vehicle

* One-button reset of your codes and Check Engine light

Auto-centric User Experience

Rev has been designed to be easy to use in car-mounted iPhone/iPod Touch installations.

While we OFFICIALLY DO NOT RECOMMEND USING Rev OR OTHER IPHONE/IPOD TOUCH APPLICATIONS WHILE DRIVING, we do think it would be a mind-bendingly awesome experience were anyone to actually try it.

* Quick taps for bumpy rides - double tap gauge to zoom in/out, swipe to graph view

* Car-mount-friendly orientations - landscape or portrait

* Dark background color scheme - easy on the eyes, day and night

Wireless Freedom

Simply connect to the OBD-II/WLAN device by approaching your car. While connected, your iPhone can still access the Internet via EDGE or 3G.

Bruce

These would sell me on the iPhone alright. I lost my pocket phone for a few days recently (darn you, phone eating couch) and considered getting an iPhone 3G as a replacement.

Bruce

Archived