CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Window problem..

I rolled my window down and up fine usually, a little slow at times but works. but yesterday it went down and wouldnt go all the way back up. i Opened it up and saw that the steel cable thats on the motor looks like it gets tangled where as sometimes its too much slack, and other times its tightened up but the window hasn't gone all the way up. anyone ever have this problem? what would i need to replace or can i take out the motor and untangle the wire?

p.s. i fixed the inside door handle.. cable got disconnected.

I rolled my window down and up fine usually, a little slow at times but works. but yesterday it went down and wouldnt go all the way back up. i Opened it up and saw that the steel cable thats on the motor looks like it gets tangled where as sometimes its too much slack, and other times its tightened up but the window hasn't gone all the way up. anyone ever have this problem? what would i need to replace or can i take out the motor and untangle the wire?

Dana, try shutting the door while pushing the window up switch

and see what happens ...

Dana, try shutting the door while pushing the window up switch

and see what happens ...

What would that do? I tried it but still did the same thing. i have to really play with it for it to go up or down.

"Dana, try shutting the door while pushing the window up switch

and see what happens ..."

Wrong information. This trick is for a different era of window motor.

Honestly, if you see cable everywhere. You best bet will be to replace the window regulator. I've redone the cable on 1 regulator, but it took quite a while to figure out..

That being said, these regulators have a plastic nugget that can fail. These are worth fixing. Cost maybe $1 to fix.

"Dana, try shutting the door while pushing the window up switch

and see what happens ..."

Wrong information. This trick is for a different era of window motor.

Honestly, if you see cable everywhere. You best bet will be to replace the window regulator. I've redone the cable on 1 regulator, but it took quite a while to figure out..

That being said, these regulators have a plastic nugget that can fail. These are worth fixing. Cost maybe $1 to fix.

What does the nugget look like? i piece of plastic was broken, it was laying at the bottom on the inside of the door.. it was white, plastic and looks like it was part of a pully, it was round shape(well before it broke) i will post a pic if i can find it.

The window regulator uses a plastic molded nugget to secure the horizonial part of the window regulator to the up/down motor cable.

Over time the plastic nugget fails. Hence the 'pop n drop' window problem.

This can be fixed with Devcon plastic welder or JB Weld. Crappy design.

If the cable is ok. The regulator can be fixed. I had one where the cable got tangled up.

The window regulator uses a plastic molded nugget to secure the horizonial part of the window regulator to the up/down motor cable.

Over time the plastic nugget fails. Hence the 'pop n drop' window problem.

This can be fixed with Devcon plastic welder or JB Weld. Crappy design.

If the cable is ok. The regulator can be fixed. I had one where the cable got tangled up.

no the cable is not ok.. i think thats the problem.. it looked tangled

When I try to roll down the passenger window there's a machine gun-like sound and the window will not move. Does this sound like the stripped molded nugget problem? It sounds like something is stripped.

When I try to roll down the passenger window there's a machine gun-like sound and the window will not move. Does this sound like the stripped molded nugget problem? It sounds like something is stripped.

i sorta get that sound also.. but more like the glass is grinding almost.. wheni looked at my glass there are no scratches, or chips. i believe its my wire making the sound.. i am going to try and find a rgulator...

Anyone know if its a lot of work taking out and putting in a new regulator? any special tools?

This is a pic of a regulator, i circled the plastic piece that i found broken inside my door. Im not sure if there are more than one of these in different places on the regulator, but from this pic it seems to be the only one.

regulator.jpg

Picture is worth a thousand words...

Never seen the round part break. Typically it is the center yellow plastic part that fails.

Picture is worth a thousand words...

Never seen the round part break. Typically it is the center yellow plastic part that fails.

I have no clue how it broke.. but now im searching high and low for a regulator

I think your car uses a different window regulator than the one that is in this thread - the crappy cable regulators came out in the '98 Seville and 2000 Devilles.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I think your car uses a different window regulator than the one that is in this thread - the crappy cable regulators came out in the '98 Seville and 2000 Devilles.

ur right... i tihnk the regulator in the pic is for an 02.. i just wanted to show the piece that i found broken. weather or not this is causing the problem, im not sure.

ur right... i tihnk the regulator in the pic is for an 02.. i just wanted to show the piece that i found broken. weather or not this is causing the problem, im not sure.

Dana,

My response was to MAC's question - his car is a '94 which I believe uses a different style regulator. Yours is very similar to the pictures you posted.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Dana,

My response was to MAC's question - his car is a '94 which I believe uses a different style regulator. Yours is very similar to the pictures you posted.

But it is different... the steel cable in mines is visible and is wonded on a spool connected to the motor.

Archived