CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

99 STS, Trunk and Fuel door keeps opening

jking220

My dad picked up a 99 STS a couple weeks ago before vacation. The night before the vacation, my mom was driving it to a birthday party and hit deep water.

At the party, I look out the window and see the car with the trunk wide open. So I run out in the pouring rain to close it. After getting back in the house, the trunk would be open again. This went on until she left.

Dad pulled the fuse and thought it would be ok, but you had to open the trunk to fill it with gas. Then one time the trunk wouldnt close.

He got some codes, but I didnt write them down so Ill try to get them tonight. It is a Canadian car, so it has export codes. I havent been able to find any websites with export code definitions. Anyone know of any?

I plan to next go clean and check out the fuse boxes, esp. the one under-hood.

Anyone experience similar symptoms?

Thanks guys

Jonah

Cleaning and inspecting fuse panels is always a good idea with flakey electrical problems; I would start with the under seat fuse box.

Has the engine failed to crank / start recently and had to be jumped with another battery? Flakey electrical symptoms can point to a battery that is on the edge of failure.

Dealing with a 9 year old used car is going to be a challenge.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I can't speak to the inadvertent trunk door opening, but it is well known that a low battery voltage causes the fuel door to open inexplicably.

I'd clean the battery cables and do a battery load test before I investigated any other things.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Is there any chance that the button on the remote key was being depressed by

something in you Mom's purse ???

I can't speak to the inadvertent trunk door opening, but it is well known that a low battery voltage causes the fuel door to open inexplicably.

I'd clean the battery cables and do a battery load test before I investigated any other things.

Regards,

Warren

He did mention he though the amps on the DIC ran low in his opinion when it was running, but it seemed ok and on par with my 01 STS. I think it has a "newer" batt., but we will get it tested, this could easily be the problem.

Jonah

....He did mention he though the amps on the DIC ran low in his opinion when it was running,....

This makes no sense; "amps on the DIC ran low". Perhaps you meant to say "Volts on the DIC ran low"? If so, what was the observed voltage value with the engine running at above idle?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

You might consider disconecting the electric unlock mechanism

in the trunk until you find your problem ...

Then you should be able to put gas in it, without having to go

into the trunk and pull the release ...

....He did mention he though the amps on the DIC ran low in his opinion when it was running,....

This makes no sense; "amps on the DIC ran low". Perhaps you meant to say "Volts on the DIC ran low"? If so, what was the observed voltage value with the engine running at above idle?

Yes, sorry, volts were low. Ide have to ask him but I think he couldnt get it to go up over 13.2. I told him mine runs between 13.5 and 14.5 on the way to work and he was a little less concerned.

Ill call and ask him today what voltage he is getting now.

Thanks guys

Jonah

Yes, sorry, volts were low. Ide have to ask him but I think he couldnt get it to go up over 13.2. I told him mine runs between 13.5 and 14.5 on the way to work and he was a little less concerned.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

have you Father, turn on everything that he can turn on ...

bright lights , AC on high, radio , windshield wipers, inside lights, etc. ...

and if he is still getting 12+ anything volts, then he is good to go ...

Does he have exceptionally long legs? (or short arms) The buttons to open the fuel door and trunk are mounted below the dash, in a manner that the driver's left knee might hit the buttons.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Does he have exceptionally long legs? (or short arms) The buttons to open the fuel door and trunk are mounted below the dash, in a manner that the driver's left knee might hit the buttons.

No, it happens randomly with noone in the car.

Jonah

No, it happens randomly with noone in the car.

I had the same problem with my '99 STS last year. I inadvertantly left the sun roof open while I was playing golf. There was a terrific rainstorm when I got back to the clubhouse. I ran out to close the roof, only to find the trunk was open. Closed the roof and trunk and went back inside. when leaving the golf club the trunk was open again. Closed it and went home. Incidently the inside of the car was soaked. Got home, went inside the house. looked out the window and the trunk was open again. I went out and closed the trunk and stood there and waited. Sure enough the trunk popped open all by itself. I pulled the fuse to prevent it opening again. The dash was wet from the rain, so I dried it off as best I could. The water had run down the dash and into the trunk and fuel button switches below. I think that this was the problem, as soon as they were dried out the problem went away. The fact that you drove through some water may have caused the problem. Once everything has dried out put the fuse back and you may have the problem solved. Good Luck

• 1 year later...

If it happens when cranking the vehicles is doing it as designed. If it senses a low voltage no start it will pop the trunk and fuel door, because those are the 2 places you may need to get into to help start it back up :)

Mechanic friend told me about that and I have confirmed it with the 98 Deville and 03 Seville that are my fathers, when both had batteries go, both experienced this behavior.

My bad on bumping an old thread, but was searching for a door lock issue and figured I add for anyone searching the issue.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Archived