CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Market Watch: V8 a go go

One thing that happened during the last oil crisis in the US was that seemingly overnight cars with large, performance V8 engine became yesterday's news and values plummeted. Cars that today are viewed as highly desirable and collectible you couldn't GIVE AWAY because everyone was terrified of having to wait in line to on odd or even numbered days to pay for gas to run them. How does that help us today?

Used car and truck values are skyrocketing for old Geo Metros and similar high mpg economy cars, and plummeting for SUVs, which are down 25% in used car values in the last

6 months in the US. Some dealers have stopped taking SUVs as trade-ins at all, because they take too long to resell. I have not heard that said of Escalades, Deville, or Sevilles. But I think we will see a similar trend in late model DTS and STS V8s, so these will become an even GREATER value for those of us who recognize that just because the have a V8 in them does NOT mean that they don't get great mileage. Something like a 2006 STS, which has not been a popular sales model anyway, with a V8 or even AWD and V8 could be a terrific bargain.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

From personal experience, I can tell you how true this is....

A couple of months back (before anyone saw $5.00 gas) I found an '05 STS, V8, AWD, 1SG, HUD, ACC, 21Kmile, really nice car for $23K

The cars first owner lost $2.00 a mile in depreciation Alone! ($40K to drive 21K mi)

So, yea, it says (with my lead foot) it's only getting 14mpg. - so what? I just saved enough to buy a ton of gas ;)

It's just GOT to be the most car you can buy for the buck right now, for the price of a Dodge Stratus? What Chevy could you get new for 23K?

Bet there's even better deals around now,,,,,,

Alot of people are sitting on the fence right now.

Already seeing alot of Suburbans with 'for sale' signs in middle Tennessee.

Wait about 60 days, alot of great deals on BMWs Mercedes etc coming. Very nice cars if gas is a non issue.

Think big; the entire Hummer production facility could probably be had at a bargain price.

I like your style Jim. :D :D :D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

May be a STS-V will come along ... :yupi3ti:

This does seem like a terrific car to watch for to me. It would match my wife's specs (4 door, auto) and be a lot of fun to drive.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived