CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

03 deville with 44 flowmasters

six6six

i just welded them on today im not to sure if im happy with the sound a little to quite for me i cut off the resovor muffler and welded straight pipe

i was thinking of puting a glass pack instead of the straight pipe any ideas if this would hurt anything?

I don't like the idea of glasspak mufflers because I have heard tales of fiberglas getting into things like the cat and causing problems. Stainless steel turbo (S-pipe inside) or super turbo (straight through) are better, and give you some choice of what the sound is. I use Borla super-turbos myself and I have a pretty good exhaust note (see my blog on this forum for sound bytes), no harshness except possibly at WOT and high RPM.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

the normal layout is cat-resonator-muffs. if the resonator is after the cat than i don't see how it could affect the cat? is the stock resonator all metal or does it have insulation inside?

the normal layout is cat-resonator-muffs. if the resonator is after the cat than i don't see how it could affect the cat? is the stock resonator all metal or does it have insulation inside?

i think it has insulation inside it kinda looks like the same as the cat o2 sensor is right before it . I just dont know if i should try that

or new tips

There are situations where there is reverse flow in the exhaust system, such as engine braking just as the car slows. Also, there are resonances in the exhaust system that are designed to provide torque peaks, particularly at low RPM and right at the horsepower peak near 6000 RPM, where the gas flows both ways even though the average velocity is out the tips, of course. Do a calculation and you will find that the average speed of exhaust gases is surprisingly slow, often lower than the vehicle speed in high gear. Thus a glasspack muffler right behind the cat is pretty much guaranteed to have fiberglass in the cat, and even behind the Y pipes gives it a chance to get into the cat.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Isn't the OE resonator right behind the converter a "glasspack" muffler, in essence? I thought it was simply a perforated tubing with fiberglass matting inside.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived