CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 seville Exhaust

Nice, is that straight through?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I don't see any mufflers between the Y-pipes and the tips.

The Borla ProXS series are straight-through and give a deep throaty note, apparently by absorbing the harshness but not much else. I could see two inches of daylight through mine and was quite concerned until I heard them. However, I do have some hint of why truck drivers flinch when I nail it in second to catch a gap in traffic on the freeway.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The Borla ProXS series are straight-through and give a deep throaty note, apparently by absorbing the harshness but not much else. I could see two inches of daylight through mine and was quite concerned until I heard them. However, I do have some hint of why truck drivers flinch when I nail it in second to catch a gap in traffic on the freeway.

Pretty interesting. How is it at highway speed do you hear an increased droan?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Pretty interesting. How is it at highway speed do you hear an increased droan?

Nope, No mufflers, Straight out the back... It sounds exactly as a WS6 Firebird. The car has alot more pickup as if I needed more anyways, It is very throaty and at drive speeds its not annoying at all. Interior noise isn't that bad either... Once you get in it, it scares people. I love it! the stock mufflers were crazy restritive with pin holes for ports inside... never again!

Most people prefer the regular Borlas, which are Super Turbo general replacement. I got my ProXS Borlas because the Super Turbos were out of stock nationally and someone had rear-ended me and taken out the exhaust system behind the rear Y-pipe, and someone online told me that these were "equivalent" to the Borla part number that I was asking for. I was a little timid about the exhaust note at first but after a couple of weeks I got used to it, and now I wouldn't go back, even to the regular Borlas.

The Super Turbo mufflers of any make have an S-pipe in them with ports into silencing chambers. They are designed to provide as quiet an exhaust note as possible with no significant restriction. The Borla ProXS series are straight-through with ports into silencing chambers. I also have a low-restriction catalytic converter. The combination is that the underlying note of my exhaust system is the resonance of everything from the cylinder heads to the tips, and is an incredibly low bass. It still has that DOHC snap on top of it all. I have seen kids in tricked-out rice burners get a load of my exhaust note and get all bent, with layers of inferiority passing over their faces. And, the gas mileage is a little better.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Drove the car around last nite, man amazing! I absolutly love it! By the way, I did a test this weekend with iridium Spark plugs ( champions ) I was challenged to it, and I put my AC delco's back in.. Ran ok, But I liked the delco's better, So I have a set of plugs brand new about 100 miles on that if anyone wants to buy them for like 15 bucks plus shipping... Let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

To answer BBF's question about drone during cruise with the Borla XS mufflers, my wife loves the new mufflers, and she's a retired schoolteacher. She has heard the WOT note once or twice, too, on a freeway entrance or something. The interior is quiet and comfortable at 65 mph, and the radio is OK at normal volume at any speed.

• 2 weeks later...

how would throwing on a set of "cherry bombs" compare to straight pipes? i think a borla XS is a bit more than the other muffs. my son has done 2 full exhausts on his last 2 grand prix's and he tried 1 with a resonator and 1 without. he had major drone without. but thats a 6cyl motor. not sure how the northstar would compare. my exhaust is too quiet.

Archived