CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Need help figuring out my new 05 STS :)

RalPh

Wow does this thing have alot of Bells & Whistles !!!

05 STS-4 V8 w/1se package but I'm a little lost as to what it really does/doesn't have for options..

If I have all these buttons are they, necessarily, connected to those modules?

I think it has a HUD but I can't get it to work. The controls are there as well as the "box" in the dash with the window & mirror. It also look like it has the radar thingy behind the emblem in front (the manual says the Adaptive Cruise Control needs the HUD to be on to work - I have the controls in the wheel for it too) I also see a fuse in the fuse box marked "HUD" >

Does that mean it has HUD and I can't either get it to work or it's broken (still under warrantee so I'd just take it in)

If the wheel has the voice recognition button in it does that mean it's installed?

Also, occasionally, the DIC says "Service Tire Monitor" I guess it's telling me something's wrong there?

What about the Nav? The DVD has to be 4yrs old. Can I find a more current disk image somewhere?

I'd Really appreciate some insight into my new car by someone who's familiar with them :)

Also, I have a couple of weeks left on my CarFax month if anybody needs a VIN run...

I found this car, after a couple of months of looking, to replace my '97 STS I bought off-lease in 2000. Some "dope" traded it in with 21,000 miles for a Lexus!! (I got it from the Lexus dealer) He LOST HIS SHIRT for what he paid for it 'cause I got it for 23K and I think msrp was up around 60K when he got it ;)

That AC in the seats is pretty interesting,,, I think I'm in to the cold air in-the-crack ! hehehe...

Dont know about the HU display.

Some steering wheels have buttons for the cell phone. Little head talking. Not for VR.

Wow does this thing have alot of Bells & Whistles !!!

05 STS-4 V8 w/1se package but I'm a little lost as to what it really does/doesn't have for options..

If I have all these buttons are they, necessarily, connected to those modules?

I think it has a HUD but I can't get it to work. The controls are there as well as the "box" in the dash with the window & mirror. It also look like it has the radar thingy behind the emblem in front (the manual says the Adaptive Cruise Control needs the HUD to be on to work - I have the controls in the wheel for it too) I also see a fuse in the fuse box marked "HUD" >

Does that mean it has HUD and I can't either get it to work or it's broken (still under warrantee so I'd just take it in)

If the wheel has the voice recognition button in it does that mean it's installed?

Also, occasionally, the DIC says "Service Tire Monitor" I guess it's telling me something's wrong there?

What about the Nav? The DVD has to be 4yrs old. Can I find a more current disk image somewhere?

I'd Really appreciate some insight into my new car by someone who's familiar with them :)

That AC in the seats is pretty interesting,,, I think I'm in to the cold air in-the-crack ! hehehe...

The STS is different from the 2006 DTS that I have ... but some things are the same.

I will help with what I can.

From your description.. it DOES have HUD. Being a 2005 and with that mileage... it is still under warranty. Take it to a Caddy dealer and tell them it is broke. They will either show you how to work it... or fix it so that it DOES work.

Go to GMNAVDISK.COM to get the latest nav disk update.

For the tire monitor, have your Caddy dealer fix that.

As for the Voice Recognition... I think the 1SE with NAV has that. I know my 2006 does. It is also a 1SE with NAV. The problem "I" have with it is, it does not like my Texas drawl. It understands almost NOTHING I tell it. Kinda frustrating.

I have a list of commands for it that I can either post or e-mail to you.

I also like the AC seats. Down here in Texas .. thay are really nice in the summer time.

Good luck with your new car. Hope you have many wonderful, enjoyable miles.

Posted Image

So you all think an 05 STS would NOT have the radar transmitter and rectangular hole in the top of the dash (over the instrument panel) if it didn't have HUD. Gee I hope SO :)

Thank you for that GMNAVDISC site but,,,, those guys want $200 bucks!!! (I guess I'll try to find a torrent iso)

Any one own and 05 STS?? Do you have that HUD hole in the dash without having HUD???

Ughhh... I was afraid of this... Boy! did I look like a boob when I took it to the dealership :) (I knew this would happen, that's why I tried for help here ;) )

The manual talks about this "second detent" (actually the third position) of the button you push, and then PULL (it almost imperceptibly moves) to adjust the brightness and Voila on comes the HUD - pretty kewl !!!!!

Thanks all for the help (now if I can only find that iso.... ;) )

One more question... How do I pull codes?? The Caddyinfo.com talks about 99-04 Seville but not clear on an '05. I can still gets codes out of the DIC - can't I ?

On the new cars just ask ONSTAR for more info on any codes, at least for the 3.6L. Not sure if the 4.6L RWD cars preserved the onboard diagnostics capability, but you can ask ONSTAR in these as well of cse.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

OnStar??? Would I need an OnStar subscription for that?

I'm amazed that there's no way to read codes like I did in my '97 :(

So this isn't OBDII... Is there another kind of, external, code reader used?

Your '05 is still OBD II; that standard has not changed.

GM/Cadillac makes the decision about your ability to display the codes on the DIC.

External code readers abound on the web; this is my personal favorite http://obddiagnostics.com/index.html

Be aware that "most" aftermarket code scanners are designed to display only "P" codes.

Also, be aware the code reader interface standard could have changed (again, at the discretion of GM/Cadillac) for your model/year. Read the fine print on the above web page.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Jim - Thanks for the link (and the info).

Pretty reasonable interface, I've got extra laptops around :)

I've been so "indoctrinated" by my '97 into being able to get my own codes, I'd Really miss it!

Thanks to all for the help, and again, PM me a Vin & email for Carfax if you need one while my subscription still works ;)

The manual talks about this "second detent" (actually the third position) of the button you push, and then PULL (it almost imperceptibly moves) to adjust the brightness and Voila on comes the HUD - pretty kewl !!!!!

I wish my 2006 had HUD. I think I would like it. I love gadgets and toys. :):)

Posted Image

Archived