CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hudraulic Lifters 4.9L Engine Change

zuzzzi

Hi everybody,

I´ll try in my bad English, to describe my Problem.

I Rebuild my 4.9 L Engine from my Seville STS 1992. I got new Hydraulic Lifters from Rockauto. So the Lifters has one hole, who comes the Oil in it. So there are two way´s to Install the Lifters. Must look the Oil hole from the Lifters to Outside Engine or Inside Engine????

My Problem is, that when I start the Engine, who is Stand for 3 or 4 Hours, the Lifters are Knocking like a Diesel for 5 Seconds.

I also Try to Change different Oil Filters and Oil, but without success.

So they losing the Oil Pressure I think, and I don’t know, is the Problem the wrong Install, or Oil Pump or…….

Any Ideas?

Please Sorry for my Bad English

Best Regards

Marco from Austria/Europe

Marco,

4.9 engines do knock for a few seconds when it is cold outside. I would not bother to rebuild the engine because of that knock. It is harmless.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Marco,

4.9 engines do knock for a few seconds when it is cold outside. I would not bother to rebuild the engine because of that knock. It is harmless.

Hi, thanks for the answerd, i know that is harmless, but it also knocking when it is warm, and it is not Cadillac Style.... you know what i mean

Marco

Marco,

Hi, thanks for the answerd, i know that is harmless, but it also knocking when it is warm, and it is not Cadillac Style.... you know what i mean

Marco

Marco, some 4.* engines do knock when they are hot because of EGR system fault. It is very important to find what causes that knock. If it knocks when hot at LIGHT throttle, that's most likely because of EGR system. Another source of knock is #1 main bearing. The latter may be located if you put it in P or D and press both gas and brake pedals while someone loosens the serp belt.If knock goes away , it is the main bearing. Harmless but anoying. Use of heavier Rotella 15W-40 or similar oil may help.

Also, check for trouble codes by pressing Warmer and OFF simultaneously until codes are shown on driver info center. If you see EGR related code , first cleant two EGR tubes inside the throttle body, under the blades.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Marco,

Marco

Marco, some 4.* engines do knock when they are hot because of EGR system fault. It is very important to find what causes that knock. If it knocks when hot at LIGHT throttle, that's most likely because of EGR system. Another source of knock is #1 main bearing. The latter may be located if you put it in P or D and press both gas and brake pedals while someone loosens the serp belt.If knock goes away , it is the main bearing. Harmless but anoying. Use of heavier Rotella 15W-40 or similar oil may help.

Also, check for trouble codes by pressing Warmer and OFF simultaneously until codes are shown on driver info center. If you see EGR related code , first cleant two EGR tubes inside the throttle body, under the blades.

Sorry, but it knocks only when you start the Engine, cold or warm, i think they lose the Oil Pressure when the Engine is out for a view Hours, and i am not Sure if i have Installed the Lifters correct

And there is no Trouble Code

Did you use moly assembly lube on the lifter faces when you installed them? New lifters have been known to 'wipe' the face of the CAM if not properly installed with assembly lube. So you are saying that, the lifters could be installed upside down and not receiving proper oil?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Did you use moly assembly lube on the lifter faces when you installed them? New lifters have been known to 'wipe' the face of the CAM if not properly installed with assembly lube. So you are saying that, the lifters could be installed upside down and not receiving proper oil?

OK, i installed without assembly lube, but we look with open Valve Covers, a lot of Oil is coming up, and the Engine run about 10.000 KM now, but it deranges me, that alwys get a Noise when i start the Engine.

I think the Lifters are loosing the Oi Pressure when the Engine is not running, but i dont no why

Marco

OK, i installed without assembly lube, but we look with open Valve Covers, a lot of Oil is coming up, and the Engine run about 10.000 KM now, but it deranges me, that alwys get a Noise when i start the Engine.

I think the Lifters are loosing the Oi Pressure when the Engine is not running, but i dont no why

Marco

Marco, have they made this noise right from the beginning? Or did the noise begin over time? Yes there is OIL there, but from my experience, it is important to coat their faces with a "start up" lube, if you had the noise right from the beginning, they I doubt that you damaged them. Put an oil pressure gage on your system to see if your oil pressure is not coming up quickly. What oil are you using? If you are using synthetic use standard oil 10W30, I think. I am not sure why NEW lifters would leak down, they SHOULD hold pressure on their own. Make sure you DON'T have coolant in your OIL..

Did you have work done on your heads?, did they reseat or lap the valves?, if so they might have messed up the lash / clearance.

I just looked at my manual. The push rod can ONLY to into the CORRECT end of the lifter, its near impossible to put them in upside down, the push rod sits into a dish in the lifter.

Try to answer the questions I asked above.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Marco

Marco, have they made this noise right from the beginning? Or did the noise begin over time? Yes there is OIL there, but from my experience, it is important to coat their faces with a "start up" lube, if you had the noise right from the beginning, they I doubt that you damaged them. Put an oil pressure gage on your system to see if your oil pressure is not coming up quickly. What oil are you using? If you are using synthetic use standard oil 10W30, I think. I am not sure why NEW lifters would leak down, they SHOULD hold pressure on their own. Make sure you DON'T have coolant in your OIL..

Did you have work done on your heads?, did they reseat or lap the valves?, if so they might have messed up the lash / clearance.

Hello, it is very intersting.

OK, the noice is from beginning, and i dont use "start up" lupe, so is thie the end oh the Lifters?

So i think next step is to put a oil pressure gage in my sytem, because when i rebuild the Engine, i do nothing on the Oil Pump!

The Oil i´m using is synthetic 10W40, we can´t buy 10W30 in Austria.

There is NO coolant in the Oil

Yes, i work on the Heads, New Valve Size, and clean all the Holes

Marco

I just looked at my manual. The push rod can ONLY to into the CORRECT end of the lifter, its near impossible to put them in upside down, the push rod sits into a dish in the lifter.

I think there is only one way to install the lifters, unless you put them in upside down.

Sorry, but there two ways to installed the Lifters, but on the Manual you don´t read something about this, and i ask the Cadillac Dialer here in my Country, and he says, it is not Importend where the Lifter (Oilhole) is............. Idon´t know can i beleve him?

Marco

Marco

OK, the noice is from beginning, and i dont use "start up" lupe, so is thie the end oh the Lifters?

So i think next step is to put a oil pressure gage in my sytem, because when i rebuild the Engine, i do nothing on the Oil Pump!

Marco

Sorry, but you can Install the Lifter in two ways. You can Install 180 degree, and than the Oilhole is show inside or outside the Engine, and i dont know is thi Importent

Marco

Marco

Marco

Sorry, but you can Install the Lifter in two ways. You can Install 180 degree, and than the Oilhole is show inside or outside the Engine, and i dont know is thi Importent

Marco

I just read my manual. I do not see any text that states that the lifters must face any specific direction. But these appear to be roller lifters according to the photos in the manual (I did not know this). Now I understand why you say they can go in different directions 180 degrees. I will post a drawing out of the manual later, I need to get to work, but I understand what you are saying. Typically the indented part of the lifter is within the OILING PORT on the engine, and that indented part of the lifter where the hole is acts as an oil supply all the way around, so in my humble opinion, I don't think that it would matter which way the lifter faced. I will post a photo later, Mike

Here is a scan out of my 91 4.9 FSM:

49Lifters.jpg

Marco

Marco

Marco

I just read my manual. I do not see any text that states that the lifters must face any specific direction. But these appear to be roller lifters according to the photos in the manual (I did not know this). Now I understand why you say they can go in different directions 180 degrees. I will post a drawing out of the manual later, I need to get to work, but I understand what you are saying. Typically the indented part of the lifter is within the OILING PORT on the engine, and that indented part of the lifter where the hole is acts as an oil supply all the way around, so in my humble opinion, I don't think that it would matter which way the lifter faced. I will post a photo later, Mike

Hello, thanks for the pic. so i think also, it doesn´t matter how to Install the Lifters.

So, i belive I have two eventuality´s. The oilpump can´t hold the Pressure (leaking), or the new Lifters are damaged, because I forget the assembly lube.....

So, i belive I have two eventuality´s. The oilpump can´t hold the Pressure (leaking), or the new Lifters are damaged, because I forget the assembly lube.....

Marco,

The oil pump does not "hold pressure" when the engine is not running. You do not have to worry about that.

When BodybyFisher asked you about the use of assembly lubricant on the lifter face he was concerned about doing harm to the camshaft surface, not doing harm to the lifter. I would think that forgetting to use the assembly lubricant would not damage your new lifters. It "probably" would not hurt the camshaft either.

Good luck,

Warren

P.S. Like so many other U.S. citizens, I am not a student of languages. Your use of English is far better than I could muster in any other language! You need not apologize :) .

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Marco,

The oil pump does not "hold pressure" when the engine is not running. You do not have to worry about that.

When BodybyFisher asked you about the use of assembly lubricant on the lifter face he was concerned about doing harm to the camshaft surface, not doing harm to the lifter. I would think that forgetting to use the assembly lubricant would not damage your new lifters. It "probably" would not hurt the camshaft either.

Good luck,

Warren

P.S. Like so many other U.S. citizens, I am not a student of languages. Your use of English is far better than I could muster in any other language! You need not apologize :) .

Hi Warren, OK, but the Lifters must hold the Oil in it, so what do you think about this, why they left Oil, because i think that is my Problem, when the Engine is not running for a couple of Hours, the Oil comes out from the Lifters, and when you start the Engine they need a view seconds to fill with Oil, and in this time you hear a Noice from Lifters like a Diesel

Marco

The lifters SHOULD hold pressure on their own. Do they make noise EVERY time the engine is started or just when its cold? The oil pump does not hold pressure, its possible that it is not getting the pressure up quick enough. That can be caused by the oil being too thin, the main bearing clearance, a bad oil pump.

What exactly did you do to the engine, what was the extent of your rebuilding?

The lifters SHOULD hold pressure on their own. Do they make noise EVERY time the engine is started or just when its cold? The oil pump does not hold pressure, its possible that it is not getting the pressure up quick enough. That can be caused by the oil being too thin, the main bearing clearance, a bad oil pump.

What exactly did you do to the engine, what was the extent of your rebuilding?

They make noise, when the Engine is not running for 3 - 4 Hours, but than always. It is very Intresting for me, that the pressure is not Quik enough.

My "old" Engine was damaged, because i have loose all the Coloant Water during Drive, so i get no notice of this Problem. After this, i get a problem with the Mainbearing (at this moment the Engine runs over 310000 KM). Than i buy an complete Engine on Ebay, and start a rebuild, because this Engine stands over two Year.

All the Imortant things (i mean Mainbearing, Camchaft, Crankshaft, Heads....) i give this work a Engine Rebuild Factory, who i specialize of US Engines. But i forgot to buy a new Oilpump, i´m so angry about this, but thats it, and think that is the problem now. The rest of the Work is mda e by myself. I´m very happy with the Engine, i think i have over 200 Horsepower, it runs Quick an perfect. The only thing is the noise when i start the Engine, and this is not acceptable for me and for Cadillacs.

So, if there are no other proposals, I´ll change the Oilpump in first step, and hope the noise go away............

Thanks for all Comments, I´ll let you know when the change is done

Marco

Don't tear the engine down until you test the oil pressure with a gage. Understand that if the valves were worked on, in terms of reseating them, the length of the valves needs to be modified because they are now sitting deeper in the head. Because they are longer they MIGHT be putting undue pressure on the lifter and collapsing them more than they should.

You have NOT mentioned what OIL you are using, what type (synthetic or dino) and viscosity.

Don't tear the engine down until you test the oil pressure with a gage. Understand that if the valves were worked on, in terms of reseating them, the length of the valves needs to be modified because they are now sitting deeper in the head. Because they are longer they MIGHT be putting undue pressure on the lifter and collapsing them more than they should.

You have NOT mentioned what OIL you are using, what type (synthetic or dino) and viscosity.

Thats right, but we have testet and collimated the lengh, with shims, so we think the valve clearance is OK

I try 10W40 and 15W40, but witout success, the Lifters noise with both types

Warren is correct, I said "'wipe' the face of the CAM lobes". The assembly lube is to protect the CAM not the lifter. Now, you appear to have roller lifters, they are less prone to surface to surface damage than the rubbing element type. But the 4.9 FSM DOES in fact say to put assembly lube on the roller. Notice the term: Important!

It is certainly sounding like you have too much pressure on your lifters due to the valves being too long, find out what they did to the heads.

post-2998-1202995341_thumb.jpg

See valve stem lengths in this article

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/eb120441.htm

Thats right, but we have testet and collimated the lengh, with shims, so we think the valve clearance is OK

OK, this is a very annoying problem. Test your oil pressure with a gage

OK, this is a very annoying problem. Test your oil pressure with a gage

OK, yes i will do this in the first step, and let you know about the result.

Do you know how much pressure have the system?

Archived