CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel Systems Recall

rek

Today I got an E-mail from MSN Auto. NHTSA # 04V110000 Recall Notice. It's for cars(NorthStar equipped) built in 1995. Phone # 1-800-630-6537 The dealer is to replace the fuel rail and fuel return line with STAINLESS, if your model is one of the recall group.

rek

I just checked the NHTSA website...I am not sure, but it seems that it doesnt affect the 4.6 Northstar engine but only the 4.0l installed in Oldsmobile...Maybe Logan/Bruce/Guru might have a more definite answer for us!

My current guess is that all the plastic lines will get replaced with SS.

Its going to take some time.

The smaller lots will be fixed first. Auroras...

Then the oldest. '93s- 95s.

This one just popped up the other day on Yahoo site....

Recall Date : March 3, 2004

TYPE : VEHICLE

BUILD DATES : September 1, 1993 - June 30, 1995

MAKE : CADILLAC

MODEL : DEVILLE

Make : CADILLAC Model : DEVILLE Year : 1995

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V110000 Recall Date : MAR 03, 2004

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND

FITTINGS

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 483477

Summary:

SOME PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.0L V8 ENGINES HAVE A

CONDITION IN WHICH THE NYLON TUBING USED IN THE FUEL RAIL

CONSTRUCTION MAY DEGRADE AND CRACK. ADDITIONALLY, THE 1995 MODEL YEAR

USES A UNIQUE UNDERHOOD FUEL RETURN LINE THAT MAY CRACK AT UNUSUALLY

HIGH RATES. CRACKING OF THE FUEL RAIL OR RETURN LINE TUBING CAN

RESULT IN A FUEL LEAK INTO THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT.

Consequence:

FUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN

A FIRE.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW FUEL RAIL ASSEMBLY CONSTRUCTED OUT OF

STAINLESS STEEL. DEALERS WILL ALSO INSTALL A REVISED CHASSIS FUEL

RETURN LINE. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MAY 2004.

OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-630-6537.

Notes:

GM RECALL NO. 04014. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY

TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-

DOT (1-888-327-4236).

• 2 months later...

Ugh!!!! My 95 Eldo just sprung a fuel rail leak, I read all the supporting recall information and it reads like my car is covered. I called the dealer and they say my car is not affected. Has anybody had their fuel rail replaced by the dealer at no cost? If so, how did you get them to honor the recall.

There was something on AOL this morning about a government recall website. I thought the site was www.recall.gov but that didnt work. And now im at work so i cant check AOL's Welcome screen. i checked it out for sec before i had to go and they had all kinds of pdfs on the letters sent out by GM and other instructions on what to look for on the tubing. Something about white words and numbers (GMF-111 similar to) would not get replaced. maybe some can do a search for it. was diffrent from the other info ihave seen on here.

There was something on AOL this morning about a government recall website. I thought the site was www.recall.gov but that didnt work. And now im at work so i cant check AOL's Welcome screen. i checked it out for sec before i had to go and they had all kinds of pdfs on the letters sent out by GM and other instructions on what to look for on the tubing. Something about white words and numbers (GMF-111 similar to) would not get replaced. maybe some can do a search for it. was diffrent from the other info ihave seen on here.

http://www.recall.gov/ is the right site so why you could not access it I don't know.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Yeap...thats what we needed. The Cadillac recall will start in August. Here is a link to the documents. They are in a PDF format so you will need Adobe to see them.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems...IfsDocId=04V110

Since my 95 Eldo vin did not show up on a recall list the dealer wants me to pay around $460 dollars for the repair, and at a later date get reimbursed if it shows up on a recall list.

Can anyone shed more light on this? Is there anyway I don't have to float the $460 on a chance of never being reimbursed? Also, the parts are very limited out there and it may take for ever to come in.......

Your car IS being recalled. Look at the documents provided in the link.

Here is a specfic link showing a GM letterhead stating that the 95-97 Cadillacs are being added to the recall.....

http://152.122.48.13/prepos/files/Artemis/...04V110-5068.pdf

Your car IS being recalled. Look at the documents provided in the link.

Here is a specific link showing a GM letterhead stating that the 95-97 Cadillacs are being added to the recall.....

http://152.122.48.13/prepos/files/Artemis/...04V110-5068.pdf

After talking to the Cadillac Customer Assistance (number listed on the Product Safety Recall Notice) and reading this board, I came to the conclusion my car is not scheduled at this time since it's a new recall. Reading from previous threads I guess it's a matter of supply and demand. When the fuel rails come available, they will recall a certain vin sequence. So evidently, it should be recalled in the near future, possibly August explained in Logans post.

Looks like I have to float the cash until it finally gets recalled. Once it's recalled it takes around 90 days for GM to process the claim. :(

I was kinda hoping not having to bring the check book, but that's not the case. :(

I think that....if you print out some of the documents....show them to your dealer...insist that the dealer make some calls to GM. I think you will get the GM OK...

Logan, I brought every document you provided. The sad thing is the public receives the information via the internet faster then GM can process it and the suppliers gear up for it.

GM and the dealer all recognize I've been diagnosed with the problem, nobody is willing to fix it with out proper recall notice or $$.

Unless, somebody has accomplished this?

Capt'n Rob,

Someone on this board has accomplished this. The dealer made a call to the zone office and was given the ok to fix it with the fuel rail on hand til the new SS one arrive.

I was told the same thing about my 95 Aurora that was squirting gas from a line by the service managers in the Lansing Mi area. "Not covered". I called 1-800-442-6537 and talked to a woman named Darla (ext. 58186). She did some checking and got back to me a few minutes later to say that GM would replace it since the recall is pending for my car. She even called the dealer of my choice so the service manager would know what's going on. Called the dealer to schedule work and was told they had a twenty day wait. Seems they have one guy doing the job on all cars. Called back and talked to the service manager and they did it the next day. I was told at the time that I would get the old style rail until the recall was official, but when I got home and looked the new SS lines were on.

The number was given to me by one the parts guys at a dealership. Give it a try.

Archived