CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Headlight Protection

weephee

Hello. Can anyone lead me to a source of headlight protection covers for the 1998 to 2004 style headlights. I just had both head lamps professionally polished and I would like to protect them before I start driving in winter sand and salt. I have seen smoked type covers on ebay but I want clear. Thanks

Hello. Can anyone lead me to a source of headlight protection covers for the 1998 to 2004 style headlights. I just had both head lamps professionally polished and I would like to protect them before I start driving in winter sand and salt. I have seen smoked type covers on ebay but I want clear. Thanks

3-M sells a HEAVY plastic that covers them. I have them on my '06 DTS. I really like them. I also had the 3-M clear plastic bra put on it also.

They are thick enough that they should absorb quite a bit of impact without letting the REAL headlight cover break. They are also easier to clean and you don't have to worry about scratching your real headlight covers. Unless someone looks REAL CLOSE... they will never notice them. Of course "YOU" will, because you know they are on there. :D

Posted Image

3-M sells a HEAVY plastic that covers them. I have them on my '06 DTS. I really like them. I also had the 3-M clear plastic bra put on it also.

They are thick enough that they should absorb quite a bit of impact without letting the REAL headlight cover break. They are also easier to clean and you don't have to worry about scratching your real headlight covers. Unless someone looks REAL CLOSE... they will never notice them. Of course "YOU" will, because you know they are on there. :D

Thanks Jim, just what I was looking for. Can you tell me where I can purchase them.

Its called 3-m invisible bra. Its sold in rolls and kits for hood, rocker panel,

etc. protection.

Heres just one of many dist. of the stuff: http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.html

A quick google search under 3m invisible bra will bring up many dist.

It is most likely avalable at any auto body supply shop near you.

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

I had the 3M Paint Protection film applied to my headlights. I had them put it on my hood, fenders, outside rear view mirrors, foglamps, bumper, grille, door handles, and rear bumper sill.

Everything still looks brand-new.

When it comes time to take it off, a heat gun is all that is needed.

I found some guy who does this stuff out of his garage.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Weephee, if you have to re-polish the headlights, will you have to reapply the 3M coating?

It makes perfect sense on new headlights, but the buffing-polishing process on hazed headlights is usually

an on going treatment.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Weephee, if you have to re-polish the headlights, will you have to reapply the 3M coating?

It makes perfect sense on new headlights, but the buffing-polishing process on hazed headlights is usually

an on going treatment.

Yes, that's what I was planning to do so I wouldn't have to repolish again. I would be putting the 3M plastic over the newly polished lens. Am I missing something or I assume this would work.

That is what I did. The headlights were fogged up. The body shop guy buffed them out in quick order using his normal buffing tools. Made them look brand-new! Right after that, I had the 3M Paint Protection film put on them as well as other surfaces. To this day, the headlights still look brand-new.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

IPB Image

thu, that answers my question.

Whenever I've cleaned up my lenses, its been an ongoing maintenance program of buffing once a month or so.

Good to hear that after a professional buff, the plastic protection keeps them clear.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

I had my hood and fenders repainted. At the same time, I asked the body shop guy to see what he could do with the headlights. It was like magic. Presto and it was brand new again.

He didnt' charge me extra for it, so I dunno what it would actually cost you. Sorry. Since it's easy to do and hardly takes any time at all, I can't imagine it costing much. If I were you, I'd call around and ask what it would take to buff out the clear plastic headlights.

IPB Image

I have been away for a couple of days and have not had an opportunity to respond. Thanks for all the input and information. I will be ordering the 3M plastic for this job. The cost to polish headlights in this area is $80 per light. That's why I don't want to do it too frequently. Thanks again.

I have been away for a couple of days and have not had an opportunity to respond. Thanks for all the input and information. I will be ordering the 3M plastic for this job. The cost to polish headlights in this area is $80 per light. That's why I don't want to do it too frequently. Thanks again.

If you have an electric buffer.... go by a hobby shop and ask for some jewelers rouge. It is not expensive.

Use it to "GENTLY" buff the headlight covers. Don't apply too much pressure.

"THEN" put the clear plastic on them.

This site I found doing a web search ... I HAVE NEVER bought anything from them... it is just for reference and information.

http://www.hobbytool.com/index.asp?PageAct...D&ProdID=66

Posted Image

If you have an electric buffer.... go by a hobby shop and ask for some jewelers rouge. It is not expensive.

Use it to "GENTLY" buff the headlight covers. Don't apply too much pressure.

This sounds like a good weekend project. I noticed that the link TJ provided is a *Glass* polishing kit. I wonder if that means the compound and pads they use will be too harsh for the plastic. I really have no idea.

You might want to practice on some plexiglas or something first.

IPB Image

This sounds like a good weekend project. I noticed that the link TJ provided is a *Glass* polishing kit. I wonder if that means the compound and pads they use will be too harsh for the plastic. I really have no idea.

You might want to practice on some plexiglas or something first.

WRONG LINK.... Sorry about that. This one says it is safe for plastics.

There is also a chart showing which polishing stuff on which material.

http://www.hobbytool.com/index.asp?PageAct...&ProdID=439

I wonder if a fine polishing compound, ("NOT" rubbing compound), from your local auto store, would be ok for plastic?

Still would be a good idea to practice on something else first. :D

Posted Image

Archived