CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Broke off ignition key in lock cylinder

jcobz28

As I was removing my ignition key today, the tip of it snapped off inside the cylinder lock!! I couldn't believe my eyes. I didn't do anything weird or exert unusual force. It just snapped. There is NO way to grab at it with needle nose pliers, as it is way deep in there with no wiggle room. I tried putting some super glue onto the half of the key that did come out, and the reinserting it so that it touched the stuck half. Let it cure with hopes that it would bond just enough to pull the key out, but it did not work.

Looks like I gotta replace the lock cylinder. I assume this is going to be a biotch and a half.

I'm looking for people who have done this before (take a seville column apart) and tips / tricks / advice. Is this a DIY capable job? Or are there dealer special tools required?

I would call a locksmith - they seem to have all sorts of tricks in their tool box. You might not need to remove the lock cylinder.

If you do need to remove the lock cylinder, you will need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate compressor that pushes down on the lock plate enough to remove the circlip. It is not a bad job - you will need to remove the air bag spool and the turn signal switch assembly (not the stalk but the switch itself that is under the air bag spool.

Tape a string to the PASS key wires under the dash before you remove the lock cylinder so you can use the string to pull the wires back in to place upon installation of the lock cylinder.

Take the existing lock cylinder to a locksmith and they should be able to take apart the cylinder to extract the broken key.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

i have done a few and actually everyone has good ideas just depends on what way you want to go. i have gotten some out with magnatizing the end of the broken off half. in another case i got it free using two small flathead screw drivers. if you have to pull the switch out though once you pull the yellow push tab that holds the orange wires in the collum you might be able to tap the end out in your hand without taking the switch out any further. far as speacial tools a puller,torx head screw drivers,if i'm not forgetting anything might be the only semi speacialy tools. the job is not that hard though

Thanks for the replies. I tried the super glue and epoxy thing 2 times with no luck. I just ordered a new lock cylinder from Rock auto and it came in 2 days. It was only $30 so I figure that is probably cheaper than getting a locksmith involved. Got a uncut #15 key from ebay for $5.50, get it cut for $0.99 at the hardware store and I'm set.

I think autozone rents steering wheel pullers, but I'm concerned about this "lock plate compressor" I'm reading about. I wonder where I'm gonna find one of those...

I'm out of town for a week. Will give the project a shot when I get back and post any more questions then.

Thanks for the info, that's GREAT to hear it's not a major complicated job! Everything else on this car seems to be... lol.

You can get the compression tool at Autozone or any major part store. I bought one about 3 years ago for about $15 if that. All it is is a c shaped piece of steel with a threaded long bolt through it that threads into the column shaft and the ends of the "C" push the plate down so the you can remove the holddown ring.

Also a note to self ..when removing the cylinder there is a very tiny plastic piece on top of the cylinder that triggers the chimes contacts if the keys are left in the cylinder. Its very easy to break when removing the cylinder so watch for it ! No need to ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

I think autozone rents steering wheel pullers, but I'm concerned about this "lock plate compressor" I'm reading about. I wonder where I'm gonna find one of those...

Like Ken said, they are very simple. I just made one in anticipation of needing it to R & R a multifunction switch on my daughters '04 Grand Am. Turns out I never needed it, but was simple to make. Much easier than the water pump socket.

Sorry to hear you couldn't get the broken key out. I've replaced a turn signal switch assembly, which isn't a quick job. I would have at least called a locksmith as plan B to get an idea of what the cost would be to remove the broken key. You will have to remove the steering wheel, air bag, etc. to get at the cylinder, which is time consuming. I know you already purchased everything but it still wouldn't hurt to give a locksmith a call. If your going to do the job just make sure you have all the tools. You can search Caddyinfo and find posts regarding removing the steering wheel and the tools needed.

Also, be aware that you will need to disarm the air bag by disconnecting the battery, pull the SIR fuse, and disconnect a yellow wire under the dash near the brake peddle. You will also need to handle the air bag with caution.

You can get a COPEING saw blade and break off one end, far end with the teeth pointing toward you.

You may have to file it down to make it narrow enough to fit into the top groove of the lock cylinder.

With the teeth pointing out and down insert the blade into the top groove of the lock and try to hook onto the broken part of the key.

If that don't work insert the blade into the bottom groove with the teeth pointing up and try to ger it to grip on the key so you can pull it out.

A magnet is not likely to work on a brass key.

I have used this methoid succesfully on all kinds of locks.

Tonight I tackled the steering column. It took my about 3 hours to tear it down and get the old lock cylinder out. It was just as horrible as I had imagined... a LOT is taken apart. I'll tackle reassembling it with my new lock cylinder in a few days.

In the meantime... I have a question!

The FSM says to replace the snap ring that you pull off while the plate compresor is on. I can see why, I mangled it getting it off. Where do I get a new one of these? Is this something you can typically find at a hardware store? Or does GM really sell just the snap ring? (and not as part of a $1,000 steering column)

-Jacob

Tonight I tackled the steering column. It took my about 3 hours to tear it down and get the old lock cylinder out. It was just as horrible as I had imagined... a LOT is taken apart. I'll tackle reassembling it with my new lock cylinder in a few days.

In the meantime... I have a question!

The FSM says to replace the snap ring that you pull off while the plate compresor is on. I can see why, I mangled it getting it off. Where do I get a new one of these? Is this something you can typically find at a hardware store? Or does GM really sell just the snap ring? (and not as part of a $1,000 steering column)

-Jacob

I would suggest trying to pick up a snap-ring at Ace Hardware.

You can buy the circlip at the dealership - it won't be that much money and you can be sure that it is the correct part for the application.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived