CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Explosive start

adallak

With the northstar a backfire is often the sign of a failing fuel pressure regulator; perhaps the 4.9L has similar symptoms. The backfire itself can be very bad for the intake, and should be avoided. Long term I would say yes it will get worse until you diagnose and repair.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Thanks Bruce and Ranger, will check the FPR ASAP. I do check it from time to time, but probably need a closer look. Th ebackfire actually might be the reason the manifold developed a crack. :(

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The Northstar intake manifold has a handy little relief valve (or "door") that opens in the event of a backfire, thus saving your manifold from becoming plastic shrapnel. Surely the 4.9 has this as well? Anyone?

Pardon the ignorance, but I never owned a 4.9L.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

The Northstar intake manifold has a handy little relief valve (or "door") that opens in the event of a backfire, thus saving your manifold from becoming plastic shrapnel. Surely the 4.9 has this as well? Anyone?

Pardon the ignorance, but I never owned a 4.9L.

Regards,

Warren

Thanks Warren. I guess a leaky injector can cause that too. I checked them recently and all the resistances were within specs though.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived