CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

water loss coming out of overflow

johnnydone

just came out of the shop could not find the problem after i shut the car off a small amount of water comes out the overflow about a half gallon a week car is not overheating 203 degrees constant

they checked for callasped hose themostat it didnt show up at the shop came home started coming out again car runs nice what more should i check ????

not overheating cap is relativy new cam from dealer i replaced thermostat and waterpumpn cover earlier this year can runs starts beautiful they did not do a carbon test but went through smog test without a -problem

not overheating cap is relativy new cam from dealer i replaced thermostat and waterpumpn cover earlier this year can runs starts beautiful they did not do a carbon test but went through smog test without a -problem

How full is the surge / overflow tank? Water expands a "LOT" when it gets hot. There is a lot of latent heat in the engine when you shut it off and the water quits circulating. It then expands even more than when the engine was running. If the surge / overflow tank is too full, that could cause it.

Posted Image

thats true but after a while i get the add coolant message its burping out about a gallon a week after i shut it off

Sounds like a bad head gasket to me. In this case it sounds like cylinder compression is forcing coolant back to the overflow tank. That's the only way to add coolant to the tank. It may be a slight difference but it may or probably be a big problem in the future. Do a compression check and go from there... My .02

-Jerry

You are not over heating, it is not smoking, it is not running rough at idle.

Have you seen it come out of the overflow? Is it boiling out or just reaching the caps pressure and pushing it out?

If it is coming out of the overflow, it means one of two things 1) Something is boiling the coolant and raising the pressure beyond the capacity of the cap or since you are not complaining about over heating, 2) your cap is defective, seal damaged, etc. I would try a known good cap before I went further. One of the most difficult problems to solve are ones we overlook because "it's new". Check the cap, and if its good, then move up the food chain, don't assume its good

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Sounds like a bad head gasket to me. In this case it sounds like cylinder compression is forcing coolant back to the overflow tank.

I'll drink to that.

Repalce the overflow tank cap and see if that works, if not, then have a garage perform a cylinder leak down test or check the coolant for the presence of cumbustion gases. You can do the coolant check yourself with the purchase of the kit from NAPA for 50 bucks.

Are you absolutely sure that it is coming out of the overflow and not a crack in the surge tank. My '97 developed a small crack on the purge line nipple. It was so small that I could not see it till it was pressurized and then slowly seeped. Yours might be on the bottom of the tank. Try pressurizing the cooling system (with a pump). Any external leak will eventually make itself known. The fact that you are not overheating leads me away from head gaskets.

That is what keeps getting my attention, its not over heating.. Why would superheated gases ONLY affect the cooling system upon shutdown? If anything it would be worse while running. This is not sounding like head gaskets.

Have you checked to make sure its a 50/50 mix? Pressurizing the system as Ranger suggests is a good idea. Check Sears for a cooling system pressurizer or go to a good radiator shop and ask them to pressure test your system and check your cap to see that it holds up to its rating and that its not blowing off at like 11 psi..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

here is the situation

car runs beautiful

not overheating

no air bubbles in surge tank

drive car leaks on right side under overflow hose after shut off

as far as i can tell not leaking when engine running let it idle until fully warmed up not leaking after shut off

will get new cap monday or tuesday must go to cadillac

thanks for the encouragment mike i hope your right

and thanks to everyone who has replied

here is the situation

car runs beautiful

not overheating

no air bubbles in surge tank

drive car leaks on right side under overflow hose after shut off

as far as i can tell not leaking when engine running let it idle until fully warmed up not leaking after shut off

will get new cap monday or tuesday must go to cadillac

thanks for the encouragment mike i hope your right

and thanks to everyone who has replied

What about the heater core hoses which connect to the bottom overflow tank. Could one or both be leaking?

received new radiator cap today mine was plastic this one is metal from cadillac and says ac delco

i guess we will see the plastic one came from gm parts direct

received new radiator cap today mine was plastic this one is metal from cadillac and says ac delco

i guess we will see the plastic one came from gm parts direct

Is your coolant color normal?

I had the same thing happen to my 1993 Deville.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Archived