CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Using anti freeze

wattsie

If it's not overheating when stressed at highway speeds, it's not a head gasket. I would have the radiator water tested and, if it passes, start looking for leaks. In particular, look at the radiator side tanks and the water pump.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

If it's not overheating when stressed at highway speeds, it's not a head gasket. I would have the radiator water tested and, if it passes, start looking for leaks. In particular, look at the radiator side tanks and the water pump.

Car is not over heating, or running hot , runs good, lots of power. Haven't checked for leaks. What about the water pump what should I be looking for. No water in oil.

Northstars rarely put coolant in the oil when a head gasket goes. If you're not overheating, why do you think your head gasket is bad?

If the water pump is bad, it will usually leak at the shaft seal. You'll need an inspection mirror and flashlight to see it.

There are many potential sources of leaks on the Northstar, mostly hoses of course. The toughest one to find is the little green hose that someone wrote about a few months ago. I think its on the back head, and you can't see it unless you have the car up on a hoist and looking up under the back head. I hope you can find a leak somewhere, by parking or running your car on a known clean surface, then trying to find out if it is actually dripping out somewhere.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

There are two hoses that go across the engine bay between the engine and the firewall. There are neoprene hoses on both ends but the hoses themselves are metal. If you run with a motor sopport out, they can get banged up and get tiny cracks. The pellets from your dealer or Bars Leaks HDC can fix minor cases but if the cracks get long or big they must be replaced.

If you are losing large volumes of coolant, like a quart a week, I would suspect a loose clamp on one of the larger hoses to and from the radiator, or a cracked end tank on the radiator, or a water pump seal.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Someone earlier mentioned a small green hose. There is one that runs from the black heater pipe into the crossover near the EGR valve. It is a pain to get to. It can be replaced without removing the crossover (I removed the throttle body and EGR-makes it easier) by using a little persuasion on the heater pipe, but not too much-you don't want to break it. Mine was the source of a very slow, annoying leak. It never left any puddles but you could smell the coolant. Took about 10-11 months for the low coolant warning to come on. Check that hose. Mine had dried up coolant on it which was the tip off (finally). No problems since. You may try snugging up the clamps on it first though.

Someone earlier mentioned a small green hose. There is one that runs from the black heater pipe into the crossover near the EGR valve. It is a pain to get to. It can be replaced without removing the crossover (I removed the throttle body and EGR-makes it easier) by using a little persuasion on the heater pipe, but not too much-you don't want to break it. Mine was the source of a very slow, annoying leak. It never left any puddles but you could smell the coolant. Took about 10-11 months for the low coolant warning to come on. Check that hose. Mine had dried up coolant on it which was the tip off (finally). No problems since. You may try snugging up the clamps on it first though.

We had someone else have a problem with the green hoses, try getting it from the bottom also. I just replaced mine when I did my crossover gaskets and made sure the clamps screw head was facing an open area just in case

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived