CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

After Diagnostics Definitions then what

Ok i checked my on board diagnostics and it gave me the following codes P042 current, P046 current, A011 current and S038 current. So I found out the definitions of the codes now what do I do to start fixing them. Because th definition of the codes are not explaining any thing that I can understand its like it is in another language so can someone hepl me please or give me a website that may be able to help me.

P042 Left Oxygen Sensor Signal Lean

P046 Right to Left Bank Fueling Difference

A011 High Side Temperature Sensor Circuit (Air Conditioning)

S038 Electronic Level Control Exhaust Valve Short to Ground/Open

The Oxygen sensor is used by the fuel injection to determine the amount of oxygen in the exhaust from each back of cylinders. Oxygen Sensors (O2 sensors) do wear out after 50k-100k miles, or can wear out due to rich fueling and other causes. An O2 sensor costs around $50-60 plus installation.

Right to Left bank fueling differences can be caused by the Cadillac compensating for an incorrect O2 sensor reading I suspect, so I would address the o2 sensor first.

Using the site Search I find that A011 is a problem in that circuit. KHE posted this helpful image to see where to start looking:

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=3235

S038 is a problem in the electronic level control, which is the system that controls the rear suspension leveling. This would need more diagnosis, following the tree in the service manual.

A shop manual is great for diagnosis and follow-up. They are written for GM trained mechanics, but I find them very helpful for regular people like me also. http://www.helminc.com sells new service manuals, or ebay can be great for finding less expensive used ones.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Ok i checked my on board diagnostics and it gave me the following codes P042 current, P046 current, A011 current and S038 current. So I found out the definitions of the codes now what do I do to start fixing them. Because th definition of the codes are not explaining any thing that I can understand its like it is in another language so can someone hepl me please or give me a website that may be able to help me.

P042 (E042) Left Oxygen Sensor Signal Lean

P046 (E046) Right to Left Bank Fueling Difference

A011 High Side Temperature Sensor Circuit

S038 Electronic Level Control Exhaust Valve Short to Ground/Open

Here is a link to a PDF file (over 6MB) containing information about the P042 & P043 codes. It's a large file so you'll have to scroll down quite a ways or use Adobe Reader's search feature to find information about your codes.

The S038 code indicates there is a short in your suspension air compressor which is located on the right rear side next to the gas tank. If you look under the car near the right muffler and look straight ahead and up towards the gas tank you should see the compressor. This problem is remedied by replacing the compressor because the short in located inside the compressor.

Regarding A011 (High Side Temperature Senor) code, it can be diagnosed through On-Board Diagnostics. However, you must to be familiar enough with the PCM/On-Board Diagnostics. First, make sure your A/C has sufficient freon. You can purchase freon with a pressure gauge at Wal-Mart. Don't just add freon unless you know for a fact that the A/C system needs it. Secondly, manipulate the wiring on the Temperature Sensor located on the A/C high side line. If by manipulating the wiring a bit the code ceases to set then there is a wiring problem. Otherwise, I would replace the sensor and perhaps it will solve the problem.

I have changed the oxygen sensor well first I had changed one of the front sensors and I used a universal one and the wires were different so we went by the diagram that it had and hooked it up the best way we could and that did not work, so we hooked it up another way and that really did not work because my car is running worse now than before. But I found out later that there are two oxygen sensors on the front of the car so we changed the other one with one that hooked straight up without splicing any wires but that did not work and the old one broke so I could not put it back on.

P046 might be causing P042. Check the FPR for a leak.

Where is the Fuel Pressure Regulator on the 93 Cadillac Seville STS 4.6 Northstar

It's underneath the cover on the left (driver's side) rear corner. The FPR can be purchased at autopartsgiant.com for $66.44. Do not try to start the engine on the '93 Northstar with the cover off because the cover is necessary for proper engine operation.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just wondering is there suppose to be a vacuum hose attached to the top of the fuel pressure regulator? Because mine does not have one connected but the picture that I have in my book has a vacuum hose connected to the top of the regulator.

"Do not try to start the engine on the '93 Northstar with the cover off because the cover is necessary for proper engine operation."

Why is this? I took my cover off (actually every car I've owned I've taken the cover) because I think that the vanity cover traps heat (keyword I "think")...with the cover off more heat is allowed to dissapate/escape....

"Do not try to start the engine on the '93 Northstar with the cover off because the cover is necessary for proper engine operation."

Why is this? I took my cover off (actually every car I've owned I've taken the cover) because I think that the vanity cover traps heat (keyword I "think")...with the cover off more heat is allowed to dissapate/escape....

This is NOT a vanity cover in the 93 and 94, it is part of the intake system, starting the engine with this cover off will result in UNCONTROLLED engine acceleration and possible engine damage.....

The NS while a great engine tends to be a bit noisy, the vanity cover helps keep the noise down. Keep in mind that when the engine was tested it is run at FULL throtte for 300 hours which equates to 12.5 days at FULL THROTTLE. :o If your cooling system is operating properly, there is no need to worry about heat.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

This is NOT a vanity cover in the 93 and 94, it is part of the intake system, starting the engine with this cover off will result in UNCONTROLLED engine acceleration and possible engine damage.....

The NS while a great engine tends to be a bit noisy, the vanity cover helps keep the noise down. Keep in mind that when the engine was tested it is run at FULL throtte for 300 hours which equates to 12.5 days at FULL THROTTLE. :o If your cooling system is operating properly, there is no need to worry about heat.

Oh, misunderstanding on my part...I have a 97 Eldorado ETC and the cover just bolts on...not part of the intake like the 93-94...I glossed over the previous posts too fast

-Tony

Archived