CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2002 Deville

LINDAL

Just bought another Cadillac. 2002 Deville Burgundy. I can't find the heated seat controls.

It has one code on the computer as history. It is RIM CO1638. RIM is Rear Integrated Module. What does that mean?

No owners manual with this one. I will have to find one somewhere. I am trying to download one online but it is taking forever. I have dialup at home.

I had a test done on the head gaskets before I bought this one.

Congrats Linda. The controls are on the arm rest. Clear the code and see if it returns since it is history. Unless not so equipped. I think that may have been an option on the Deville.

Congrats Linda. The controls are on the arm rest. Clear the code and see if it returns since it is history. Unless not so equipped. I think that may have been an option on the Deville.

Thanks

I don't think it has heated seats. I thought they all did. Of course it was advertised as having memory and heated seats. I don't think it has either.

I will really miss those heated seats this winter. I may have to drive the STS on cold days. Ha! Ha!

It looks like the leather would crack without them in the winter too.

I finally got the owners manual to download, so now I see where the controls should be.

There is a slight discoloration on the driver seat. What is the best thing to clean the leather with? The guy said the mean green stuff that you get at Walmart. I would think that would be to harse.

I have some Leather seat cleaner and conditioner I was going to try on it. But I thought maybe there is something better to use.

It has been a long day. We drove all day to get this car. I am about ready to call it a day.

This is what I have from the codes:

P1638 Generator F-Terminal Circuit

P1614 Loss of RIM Serial Data

I don't have a code C1638 on the RIM. My data is from the WWW and my 1997 FSM, which has very little on the RIM, but my inclination is to re-check the code and make sure that everything is correct. For example, I don't think that there is a leading zero on the code if it's four digits. If it's a P1638 history, it could be something that came up from a temporary elecrical glitch when they power-washed the car under the hood or from underneath for the used car lineup.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I don't see a C1638 either, but here is the info I find on the RIM:

The RIM functions include the following:

Automatic level control

CIGAR relay control

Class 2 communication requiring RIM interaction

Content theft deterrent

Fuel door control

Fuel level sensor input

Heated seat control

HVAC blower control

LK/CYL relay control

Park brake relay control

Rear defog relay control

Rear park assist chime control

Retained accessory power (RAP) relay control

Reverse relay control

Transmission shift inhibit

Trunk release relay control

Various controls for the interior lamps

The C code sequence relates to antilock brake functions. The highest C code shown in the shop manual is C1295.

Perhaps C1638 could be a code to show that the RIM was not reporting the status of the parking brake ??

If the Code is C0638, not C1638, then is is a Electronic Suspension report:

DTC C0635, C0638, C0640, C0643, C1252, or C1253

Circuit Description

The Electronic Suspension Control (ESC) module estimates the road surface and communicates that information to the Electronic Brake Control module (EBCM). The ESC module provides a Pulse Width Modultion (PWM) signal to the EBCM through the left and right normal force signal circuits. The ESC module sends each normal force value twice to the EBCM. The possible values of the PWM duty cycle are 20%, 40%, 60% and 80%, with the valid range from 10-90%. The EBCM uses this information to provide improved rough-road braking performance

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I don't see a C1638 either, but here is the info I find on the RIM:

The RIM functions include the following:

Automatic level control

CIGAR relay control

Class 2 communication requiring RIM interaction

Content theft deterrent

Fuel door control

Fuel level sensor input

Heated seat control

HVAC blower control

LK/CYL relay control

Park brake relay control

Rear defog relay control

Rear park assist chime control

Retained accessory power (RAP) relay control

Reverse relay control

Transmission shift inhibit

Trunk release relay control

Various controls for the interior lamps

The C code sequence relates to antilock brake functions. The highest C code shown in the shop manual is C1295.

Perhaps C1638 could be a code to show that the RIM was not reporting the status of the parking brake ??

If the Code is C0638, not C1638, then is is a Electronic Suspension report:

DTC C0635, C0638, C0640, C0643, C1252, or C1253

Circuit Description

The Electronic Suspension Control (ESC) module estimates the road surface and communicates that information to the Electronic Brake Control module (EBCM). The ESC module provides a Pulse Width Modultion (PWM) signal to the EBCM through the left and right normal force signal circuits. The ESC module sends each normal force value twice to the EBCM. The possible values of the PWM duty cycle are 20%, 40%, 60% and 80%, with the valid range from 10-90%. The EBCM uses this information to provide improved rough-road braking performance

I will check the code again. I don't have the car right now so I will check it later. I am positive it is a RIM code. I will have to see the numbers again to verify the code.

The code is gone. I think I must have reset it by accident. Or maybe it is one that resets itself.

I will let you know it it shows up again.

The leather cleaner did the job on the seat. The car really needs to be cleaned inside and out.

I have a question about warranties.

Does anyone know anything about C.A.R.S. PROTECTION PLUS INC. WARRANITES?

I have the opportunity to purchase an unlimited miles value plus warranty for $895. Is this a good deal?

Should I even purchase a warranty?

Linda

If you decide to purchase an extended warranty, I would only get the "factory" GM Protection Plan Major Guard warranty.

You can find more info at their website http://www.gmpponline.com

There are online GM dealers who discount the GMPP warranty. http://www.gmoutlet.com/gmpp.htm has online pricing at a discount.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I can't get a GM warranty. I put the VIN # in and they say it is not eligable. CARS search on the internet has several complaints against it. I looked at the BBB reliabilty report and they have had judgements against them and had to change their business practices.

I have other companies calling with quotes on warranties. Anyone have a good one to check into? There are so many out there!

Linda

I have the opportunity to purchase an unlimited miles value plus warranty for $895.

Remember the old saying Linda, "If it sounds too good to be true............." Other than that I have no advice. Mine is certified, I never buy extended warranties.

Archived