CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

97 SLS Money Pit

greg129

For sale ’97 SLS – Great shape & Cheep: New engine @ 79000 miles (currently 88000 miles) nothing but problems great for parts (LOL)

Mechanic friend and I took an octopus to the A/C and I’ve about had it – bled off what seemed to be a couple of hundred pounds from the Low side of the A/C (and no oil spitting out etc. like I expected). Compressor clutch not engaging and now I have a Low Refrigerant and Compressor faults on the dash – wasn’t there before that and A/C not cooling either. Tried shorting the low side switch and still no compressor clutch. So I figure now need the pros and drove off … NOW – I’ve got Engine Idle Control Service (required I assume) error on drivers display.

Current DTCs:

PCM P0550 POWER STEERING PRESSURE SWITCH CIRCUIT

P1654 (HISTORY) CURSE CONTROL INHIBIT OUTPUT CIRCUIT

IPC B1552 (HISTORY) KEEP ALIVE MEMORY EROR

B1348 (HISTORY) VERLY LOW AC REFIGERANT

TCS C1255 (HISTORY) EBCM INTERNAL MALFUNCTION

PZM B1552 (HISTORY) KEEP ALIVE MEMORY ERROR

B1558 (HISTORY) BCM EPROM CHECKSUM ERROR

B2502 (HISTORY) AUTO TRANSMISSION SHIFT LOCK CONTROL SHORTED TO GROUND

ACM B1348 VERY LOW A/C REFRIGERANT PRESSURE

I’m quite sure the BCM is history etc. (door, trunk and gas locks will not open with the remote) plus the B1558 DTC. But that shouldn’t have anything to do with A/C as far as I can tell.

The Engine Idle – Service error is bothering me more right now than the A/C. Any ideas…?

By the way went to dealer and they said compressor without even looking at the DTC’s or asking any questions… now I’m worried about Cadillac’s, dealers, GM in general. I thought I knew something about taking care of my cars and I'm quite handy but this is out of hand.

’97 SLS Money Pit

The ACM won't allow the compressor clutch to engage when B1348 is thrown. This and other codes show that the battery was disconnected, or the voltage was low, or both. I would clear all the codes from the DIC and see if that fixes it. If not, get with your friend with the A/C gages and clear the codes while he watches the gages. If the gages show that there is freon in it, then you should see the low pressure side drop and the high pressure side rise when the compressor clutch engages. If the compressor clutch won't engage with the codes cleared, check for electrical problems or a bad or misadjusted clutch, hopefully with a meter, not just by shorting around things or with a test light. If the pressure goes really high or the pressure on the low side goes to a high vacuum, there is a clog in the system. It will throw the B1348 code when the low side goes too low. If the pressures don't change enough, it's the compressor; work with your friend in interpreting the gages and what to do to fix things.

Depending on your real plans with this car, you can consider the dealer for the compressor ($$$) and a GM lifetime warranty on parts and labor, or an A/C mechanic for a new or rebuilt compressor for less money and whatever warranty you can get.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

You are driving an 11 year old car that is a complex car with 88,000 miles on it. EXPECT repairs. If you are not mechanically inclined, do not have a basic set of tools in a TALL RED BOX, ( :lol: ), don't have the factory service manual and enjoy reading it before bedtime (and it gets you excited), if you need to take your car to the dealer for repairs, this is not going to be a fun car for you unless of course, you have deep pockets, but DON'T let it reflect badly on GM or CADILLAC. These are AMAZING cars for the right owners, however; negative, ludite, fat fingered, negative whiners need not apply (and there are no implications in that statement, its a fact). These cars need PROPER and regular maintenance and as it ages, repairs frequency will accelerate. If it was a 97 STS, I'd be willing to take it off your hands for a good price given that it has so many problems and does not appear to have been maintained properly :lol: However, we will be glad to help you out here if you would like to make a go of it. We once had a GM Powertrain engineer here who shared his knowledge with us. Many of our members, including myself had the opportunity to know and learn from him. Ranger refers to him as Yoda. I believe we are his disciples. :D This is sounding like a cult, :lol: Anyway, if you keep it positive, we would be GLAD to help you.

There are so many obvious problems with your post, Jim cited one the code that is stopping the compressor from starting. At your mileage, the compressor usually needs replacing, I replaced mine two years ago in a 96. In the old days we just CUT the belt off. The dealer has seen a lot of this an knows it needs a compressor.

The engine idle service is probably related to the throttle body needing cleaning and the throttle plate hanging open from dirt.

The transmission shift lock and the cruise control messages may be related there is a switch actuated by the brake pedal.

I would clean the battery connections especially the positive cable and see what codes come back. You are getting some codes related to low and intermittant battery power.

I will ask also... why did you bleed Freon from the AC?

ACM B1348 VERY LOW A/C REFRIGERANT PRESSURE

If I am not mistaken, this code will keep the compressor from coming on until it is cleared and recharged properly.

IPC B1552 (HISTORY) KEEP ALIVE MEMORY EROR

TCS C1255 (HISTORY) EBCM INTERNAL MALFUNCTION

PZM B1552 (HISTORY) KEEP ALIVE MEMORY ERROR

B1558 (HISTORY) BCM EPROM CHECKSUM ERROR

These all look like a bad cable, bad battery or it was disconnected recently.

B2502 (HISTORY) AUTO TRANSMISSION SHIFT LOCK CONTROL SHORTED TO GROUND

P1654 (HISTORY) CURSE CONTROL INHIBIT OUTPUT CIRCUIT

These two could be related to the brake light switch under the dash. Or the shift linkage may be out of adjustment... or as it says... may have a bad ground.

Posted Image

I need to correct my spelling above, its not ludite, its luddite.

Function: noun

Etymology: perhaps from Ned Ludd, 18th century Leicestershire workman who destroyed a knitting frame

: one of a group of early 19th century English workmen destroying laborsaving machinery as a protest; broadly : one who is opposed to especially technological change

- Luddite adjective

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Speaking of corrections..... I lied to you the other day. :huh:

I said no one had ever driven my Cadillac. Bruce drove it for a few minutes, a while back, when we were doing the acceleration testing.

Just wanted to keep the record straight. :D:D

Posted Image

Speaking of corrections..... I lied to you the other day. :huh:

I said no one had ever driven my Cadillac. Bruce drove it for a few minutes, a while back, when we were doing the acceleration testing.

Just wanted to keep the record straight. :D:D

This is becoming a trend, I drove Warren's car also when he bought it. I think he was disappointed that I didn't drive it hard :lol:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

This is becoming a trend, I drove Warren's car also when he bought it. I think he was disappointed that I didn't drive it hard :lol:

I kept waiting on Bruce to get on mine :D .... but he never did. I told him it was OK but he drove it like a gentleman. :D

Posted Image

Archived