CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

License plate lights out

Chris

So I thought both of the license plate bulbs had burned out. After (finally) getting them out, I noticed that the filements looked ok. Stuck new bulbs in to test anyways but still nothing.

I haven't had much time lately so just left as-is but I really should do somethign about it. Do you guys have any suggestions on where to look for problems? Thanks!

-Chris

A really fast fix would be to jumper the wires to the closest taillight wires you can find. Not a professional fix, but it will do the trick, and will last a long time. I would use solder-less connectors, and tape them up really well.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

A really fast fix would be to jumper the wires to the closest taillight wires you can find. Not a professional fix, but it will do the trick, and will last a long time. I would use solder-less connectors, and tape them up really well.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

I'm looking at the 1997 FSM, pages 8A-110-8, -9, -10, and -11. In the Seville, the license lamps are on the same fuse as the left-hand tail light and side marker lights and the underhood lamp, which lights when the parking lights or headlights are on and the hood is raised. If none of the parking lights on the left hand side or the underhood light come on, check the 10 A fuse in the trunck compartment fuse block marked LT PARK FUSE.

The export wiring or the domestic wiring. The export wiring has three bulbs on the Seville (STS and SLS) and four bulbs on the Eldorado. Domestic wiring shows two license lamps for both Seville and Eldorado. You cite two license plate bulbs, so, apparently, your car has domestic wiring.

If the left hand parking lights and the hood light work, the only connector that I see that is unique to the licence lamps is labeled C408, which is in the trunk lid over the license plate. I would look at all the wiring in the trunk lid. It comes in through the left hand hinge, back to the curved part of the trunk lid, then right to the center of the trunk lid and C408. Then, both hot (from C408) and ground go down to the license bulb fixture. I'm looking at page 8A-201-50 figure 92.

If left side parking and marker lights are also out and you are looking for the trunk compartment fuse block, it's in the trunk high on the left side in the back under the velvet liner. There's lots of stuff there, like the radio amplifier, two modules, and two blocks of relays, three modules, etc.; everything except the fuses is accessed by removing the rear seat back. In the 1997 FSM, the picture is on page 8A-201-41 figure 76, which shows the view from inside the car with the seat back removed and is interesting for everything except the fuse bock, which is available from the trunk.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

On my STS I had those lights out. Changed them. Nothing. Had some of the small dash lights out as well. It turned out to be a fuse.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

"License plate lights out"

Good! Makes it easier to run from the cops!

(only joking).

Joke acknowledged. ;) Also makes it likely you'll be pulled over one evening. :o

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this: I find it very difficult to read a NY license plate if its frame is surrounded by one of those bright blue "neon" lights.

If I was a cop I'd really hate that. If I wanted to make it more difficult for someone to read my plate while I was on the move, I might like that.

I used to think it was just my eyes, but I've come to believe the NY plate color scheme (blue w/white background) is more easily obscured by the blue light.

Regards,

Warren

P.S. Great details Jim. That should help Chris a lot. As another thread pointed out, "I love caddyinfo."

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived