CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Brake pad issue.... need Help

Regis

I just finished installing a new front hub bearing. During the process I noticed that the inside brake pad separated from its backing plate and needed replacing as well. I replaced the pads and now I can't get the caliper with the new pads on because of the extra thickness. To make matters worse I accidentally depressed the brake peddle at one point. Is there a trick to getting the piston to compress so I can slip the assembly on??? Thanks and I'm right in the middle of this so immediate help will be greatly appreciated.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Use a "C" clamp to compress the piston back into its bore.

Losen the bleed screw or remove the master cylinder reservoir cap before compressing with a c-clamp.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Regis you had my cell number, you should have called!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Okay here's the update. Hehee.... well she's all put back together proper (did both sides). Thanks for the helpful posts guys. Mike I would have called and you were the first person I thought of. I was sure cursing myself for not writing your cell number down last night. Ranger and Adallak I remembered the C clamp thing after a few unsuccessful attempts with large channel locks. I called wife's poppy ( he restores classic vehicles and hot rods) to confirm the procedure and was fine compressing the caliper without bleeding or even removing the MC cap. Slow even turns. The whole project of replacing the right front wheel bearing took much longer than anticipated. Four separate trips back to Napa took a chunk out of the day. 1st trip I need the correct hub nut socket and long breaker bar. 2nd trip was because I discovered I didn't have a large enough hex socket for the calipers. 3rd trip was to get a T55 torx head socket for the 3 bolts holding the wheel bearing and picking up new brake pads. 4th trip because I didn't have a large enough C clamp.

I had trouble removing the wheel bearing from the rest of the assembly. There was a lot of rust and it was seized on. I really should have used a puller (that would have made it 5 trips to Napa) but got creative with a 3 lbs sledge and a 3" wide brick cutting chisel. Once I got it started it came off without too much fuss. Another issue were the 3 torx bolts holding the actual wheel bearing on. If it weren't for my impact wrench I don't believe they would have come off in one piece. It took at least 2-3 attempts on each bolt and standing on them with 30 second blasts. Those bolts were blazing hot when they finally came out.

Drove the car 3-4 houses down and came back. All was quiet and smooth. Tomorrow I'll have it out on the highway for a real test.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I had trouble removing the wheel bearing from the rest of the assembly. There was a lot of rust and it was seized on. I really should have used a puller (that would have made it 5 trips to Napa) but got creative with a 3 lbs sledge and a 3" wide brick cutting chisel.

A pneumatic chisel works wonders. Saved my a$$ doing the hub & bearings on my daughters first car ('98 Ford Snorus).

I had trouble removing the wheel bearing from the rest of the assembly. There was a lot of rust and it was seized on. I really should have used a puller (that would have made it 5 trips to Napa) but got creative with a 3 lbs sledge and a 3" wide brick cutting chisel.

A pneumatic chisel works wonders. Saved my a$$ doing the hub & bearings on my daughters first car ('98 Ford Snorus).

Those are really something in action. Unfortunately I can imagine myself getting carried away with one. Cut through stubborn bolts in seconds. I have a large hammer drill that I've been known to get a little "crazy" with.

"Burns" rubber

Regis, sorry the job was harder than expected. I figured you called me on your cell and it was in your call memory. So I was right about the Torx bolt holding the hub bearing.

Hopefully this job did not destroy the DIY urge in you.... It sounds like you did good however and adapted well to problems, good job, Mike

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Regis, sorry the job was harder than expected. I figured you called me on your cell and it was in your call memory. So I was right about the Torx bolt holding the hub bearing.

Hopefully this job did not destroy the DIY urge in you.... It sounds like you did good however and adapted well to problems, good job, Mike

Thanks Mike,

I don't think I'll ever lose the DIY urge. It comes down to a time and effort issue. The hub bearing was noticeably getting worse on Friday and Sunday was the only day I would have the use of my wife's car in case I needed to run for parts. So time was short. Replacing the hub bearing wasn't a difficult job. Not having the correct tools on hand made the day long and frustrating. The only thing that really had me worried was if I was going to be able to remove all the parts without breaking anything. 229K miles creates a lot of rusty parts. I felt lucky that nothing broke. If I have to do this again it should go much faster now that I have the correct tools. And hey, I only cut myself once during the job.... not bad if you ask me.

"Burns" rubber

Thanks Mike,

I don't think I'll ever lose the DIY urge. It comes down to a time and effort issue. The hub bearing was noticeably getting worse on Friday and Sunday was the only day I would have the use of my wife's car in case I needed to run for parts. So time was short. Replacing the hub bearing wasn't a difficult job. Not having the correct tools on hand made the day long and frustrating. The only thing that really had me worried was if I was going to be able to remove all the parts without breaking anything. 229K miles creates a lot of rusty parts. I felt lucky that nothing broke. If I have to do this again it should go much faster now that I have the correct tools. And hey, I only cut myself once during the job.... not bad if you ask me.

No that wasn't bad at all, not at all. I am lucky as I have been collecting tools my whole life, I have tools from my Dad from when we worked on cars when I was in grade school. Having the tools really helps a lot. My neighbor stopped over the other day as his car was dead and clicking and was shocked with my tool collection, I have shocked myself lately :lol: It helps.

As you know, I dropped my carriage and finally got it back up yesterday, my hands are ripped to shreds, I am embarrised here at work! :(

Hey, Santa is coming......ask for tools! If you were a good boy, maybe he will bring you SNAP ON... (but Craftsmen's new design is pretty nice now, so is HUFFY... :lol: oh I mean HUSKY, SK is nice also)

Archived