CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Premixed Dex-Cool

JimD

Maybe the price spread has always been this much since the makers of antifreeze started bottling a 50 / 50 premix and I just never paid attention. But this is a major gouge in the name of convenience!

Pure Prestone Dex-Cool equivalent = $9.88 per gallon or $2.47 per quart of antifreeze.

Premix Prestone Dex-Cool equivalent = $8.28 per gallon container for 2 quarts = $4.14 per quart of antifreeze.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I'm very aware of cost per unit pricing, but it's hard to beat the convenience of having that premixed half gallon in my trunk in the unlikely case of an emergency.

Before you click on this link ( http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec040304.html ), take a guess about the cost of a gallon of ink for your inkjet printer. :o

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

dont forget the cost of boiling water to make distilled water and

the labor involved by employees to pour the mix, stir and

repour into relabeled bottles ... hey, that is what i do .. well almost ..

i get ONE gallon of Prestone and one gallon of DISTILLED water and

pour into the old container, seal and place in trunk of car..

i even toss a tablet of the supplement into the mix, cuz i figure that if i

need to use it, i need everything that goes with it.

COSTCO often has the Prestone at much less than $10 / gallon.

Big-Lots and Walmart have the Bars Golden at around $1.

grocery store has the DISTILLED water for around $0.90

Maybe the price spread has always been this much since the makers of antifreeze started bottling a 50 / 50 premix and I just never paid attention. But this is a major gouge in the name of convenience!

Pure Prestone Dex-Cool equivalent = $9.88 per gallon or $2.47 per quart of antifreeze.

Premix Prestone Dex-Cool equivalent = $8.28 per gallon container for 2 quarts = $4.14 per quart of antifreeze.

Until I bought the (undiluted) Prestone labeled Dex-Cool yesterday, I had always purchased the Havoline branded Dex-Cool product. But a careful reading of the Prestone container reveals that Prestone is using the Dex-Cool label under license and Prestone states their product meets GM 6277M specifications.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

No - DexCool is more friendly to seals such as the water pump seal because it does not contain abrasive silicates like the old green coolant.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

what happens if you don't use distilled?

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

You add unwanted minerals to the system (iron, calcium, chlorine if you are on city water and whatever other minerals are in your water).

to expand a bit ...

the minerals attach to the metal surfaces like they do

in you faucets at home, and if enough of that happens

it clogs the system.

distilled water is devoid of minerals

You add unwanted minerals to the system (iron, calcium, chlorine if you are on city water and whatever other minerals are in your water).

Archived