CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tranny acting up again

I took a 200 mile road trip today and recieved the PCM 0741 (I think that's the one anyway) twice. I reset the computer right after the check engine light came on and they were quite a ways apart. Someone mentioned earlier to me about doing something with the electrical connecter, I can't remember exactly what I was supposed to do. I'm thinking it is more than likely something electrical because it works fine for the rest of the time (no slipping) and the fluid is perfect.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

P0741 - TCC System Stuck Off

The slippage would be very minor and you would not be able to feel it.

Shoot. You could have just agreed with me and made me feel better! :rolleyes:

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

The wiring for that circuit goes through the round 20 pin connector located at the rear of the engine almost directly below the master cylinder. Open the connector and check for damaged pins, corrosion, pinched or stretched wires, fluids or anything else that appears to be unusual.

If you are comfortable using a VOM, we can provide details.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

VOM? What does that stand for?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I use volt meters all the time. How would I go about testing it?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

The code is coming on more and more. Usually it would come on going down the highway, but just a little bit ago it came on in a parking lot. What would I or a tranny shop have to do to get it fixed if it weren't just a corroded connector?

JimD, I don't see a connector beneath the master cylinder or towards the rear of the engine. The only connector I see is the one mounted near the strut and it's quite large. It looks like one side of it heads towards the computer mounted in front of the air filter. Would it be this one?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

All this is the way my '98 Seville is et up and I have no idea if your model is different or not (there can't be much difference).

The transmission to PCM connector (C100) is a round 20 pin connector attached to the same bracket that secures the shift cable bellcrank mechanism on the top of the transmission case. You will probably have to remove the engine air intake plumbing to see it; that large silencer chamber will be in the way.

Pin U of the chassis side will have 12 Volts with the key in ON or START. Pin T of the chassis side goes to the PCM C1-22.

On the transmission side pin U to pin T, the solenoid coil, should show some low resistance with no continuity to chassis ground on either pin. I'm not able to find a spec. for the coil resistance but every solenoid I have checked has fallen between 10 and 100 Ohms.

Inspect the connector pins and associated wiring very carefully.

Also, be 100% certain you do not have P codes other than P0741.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I'll check the volts a little later on. I don't have any other codes other than that P0741 code. Would the whole torque converter have to be replaced to fix this problem or is there something else causing the slipping? Would a fluid change maybe help?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Still no connector. I pulled the intake off and there is no connector there. I did notice though when I took my intake off that the stupid silencer thing was not connected, it was just sitting there not making a seal. Could it possibly be that the engine wa sucking air in through that hole not cooling off the PCM causing it to act funny? Or maybe it caused erratic conditions because it was sucking in after the MAF? I've heard of people thinking it's tranny problems when it ended up being a dirty MAF. Maybe that's what my problem was. I connected everything nice and tight so hopefully it doesn't come back.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I'll stand in the middle of Times Square dodging cabs and tell the world there is a connector down there.

And you might have found the problem. That would be a good outcome.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I'll stand in the middle of Times Square dodging cabs and tell the world there is a connector down there.

And you might have found the problem. That would be a good outcome.

:lol: you go ahead and do that! I'll send you some coffee after awhile ;) I'll take a picture here to show you that there isn't! :P

I just took her for a test run and I couldn't seem to get it to do it. I drove exactly as I did the other day in the exact same area, but it didn't come on. Could just be a coincidence, but hopefully that was the problem.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Tell me if you can see a connector besides the one in the last picture Mr. "There is to a connector there" :P

The only connector I can see is the one in that last picture which is mounted near the strut.

post-4558-1180642876_thumb.jpg

post-4558-1180642885_thumb.jpg

post-4558-1180642893_thumb.jpg

post-4558-1180642901_thumb.jpg

post-4558-1180642908_thumb.jpg

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Must be the difference between years. There has to be a connector; otherwise separating the engine and transmission would mean cutting a bundle of wires.

The tip of a screwdriver is sitting on the connector in my '98 model.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Yeah, I don't have that. I wish I did so I could check it, but it's not there. Well, hopefully this intake situation fixed it. If not...I'm not sure yet. I supposed I'll probably take it to my tranny shop.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Maybe this will help . . . .

EDIT: All FWD Northstars are pretty much the same where the basics are concerned. The connector should be right where JimD told you to look. Same on every model year. The attached is from your '02 FSM.

Automatic_Transmission_Inline_Harness_Connector_End_View.doc

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Huh...that's odd. I wonder where the heck mine could be then. Maybe canadian models don't have it :P

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Huh...that's odd. I wonder where the heck mine could be then. Maybe canadian models don't have it :P

Canadian Cadillacs have funny lights and silly speedometer calibrations.

They are otherwise the same as the U.S. versions. Look again.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I'd like to add that Canadian STS's have an extra 50hp and special 5 coat paint jobs :D

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

I'd like to add that Canadian STS's have an extra 50hp and special 5 coat paint jobs :D

Well . . . .

Posted Image

Canadian Cadillacs have funny lights and silly speedometer calibrations.

They are otherwise the same as the U.S. versions. Look again.

Regards,

Warren

Just look at the pictures, it's not there. The only other place I can look is underneath the engine.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I should point out that ted tcb remains my hero.

Thanks again, ted, from a USA kinda guy.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Archived