CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Automatic Headlight Sensor

ted tcb

Anyone else do this with their new car?

My twilight sentinal appeared to be ineffective.

My headlights were on constantly, dark or sunny out.

When I turned my auto switch off, the DIC suggested "headlights needed".

With expensive Xenons, I drove with the twilight sentinal off, and ignored the

DIC warning on startup. I cleaned my photocell, but it made no difference.

Solution ... my rainsense wipers were in the "on" position, which automatically turns on

the headlights, even during bright sunshine.

Geez, I felt stupid. :unsure:

Parking the wipers, the auto headlights work perfectly.

Anyone else make the same mistake?

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

I thought you turned the rainsense wipers on by putting it to the first notch on the delay? I'm pretty sure mine is exactly like yours because mine is a canadian model.

Also, if I have my foglights on, my lights will always stay on. As soon as I shut my foglights off, the lights shut off.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Anyone else do this with their new car?

My twilight sentinal appeared to be ineffective.

My headlights were on constantly, dark or sunny out.

When I turned my auto switch off, the DIC suggested "headlights needed".

With expensive Xenons, I drove with the twilight sentinal off, and ignored the

DIC warning on startup. I cleaned my photocell, but it made no difference.

Solution ... my rainsense wipers were in the "on" position, which automatically turns on

the headlights, even during bright sunshine.

Geez, I felt stupid. :unsure:

Parking the wipers, the auto headlights work perfectly.

Anyone else make the same mistake?

I have rain sense wipers. I leave them on all time. My lights don't stay on. Mine is '06 DTS. Must be different interface with the wipers and lights.

If it starts raining and the wipers come on .... THEN the headlights come on. Also as 02 WhiteSTS said, if I manually turn on the foglights, the headlights also come on.

Just realized you said you PARKED the wipers. Do they not park automatically ? In my opinion they should. I'm sure I will get corrected if I am wrong. Maybe THAT is where your problem lies.

Looks to me like you should be able to keep the Rainsense wipers ON all the time. Thats why they ARE Rainsense Wipers. They work automatically when it starts to rain.

Posted Image

Looks to me like you should be able to keep the Rainsense wipers ON all the time. Thats why they ARE Rainsense Wipers. They work automatically when it starts to rain.

I don't have Rainsense Wipers, but that is the sort of behavior I would expect.

My Owner's Manual does not specifically address headlamp operation when Rainsense is active.

It strongly cautions, however, that the wipers MUST be off if you want to avoid damage at the car wash.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

If I put the wiper control arm in the down (lowest) point, the rainsense is not

activated, and the auto lights work perfectly.

If I put the wiper control arm up 1 position, I'm in the rainsense zone.

The headlights turn on immediately, even if the wiper blade hasn't moved.

Maybe it has something to do with the Xenon ballasts and bulbs being replaced in 2004 by the dealer?

Basically, if the wiper control arm is down (off), when the car is put in gear, the DRL's turn on, and the headlights are off during daylight. If I put the wiper control up 1 position, the light sentinal is overidden, DRL's go off, and the Xenon's pop on.

Weird, but no big deal. When I sense rain, I put the rainsense on notice.

All other times, I let the twilight sentinal control the lights.

Certainly something I can live with ... previous warranty work may have affected the headlight/rainsense interaction.

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

It seems like all the 2001 Caddy's work like mine.

This post refers to an 01 DTS which works identical to my setup.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/elect...atic+headlights

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Sounds counterintuitive . . . . and I'd find it annoying.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I believe the "Wiper Activated Headlamps" feature was introduced in 1996 on the FWD models. Some locales require headlamp usage while wipers are in use; it is good practice to activate the exterior lighting under conditions of impaired visibility.

It seems like all the 2001 Caddy's work like mine.

This post refers to an 01 DTS which works identical to my setup.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/elect...atic+headlights

They must have changed the computer interface for the lights and wiper sometime between '01 and '06. My lights only come on when the wipers actually start working.

As long as they are not moving (ie not raining) the daytime running lights are on. As soon as it starts raining, the wipers start up, the daytime running lights go off and the headlights come on.

When it stops raining and the wipers stop, after 5 or 10 minutes (not sure EXACTLY, probably dependent on ambient light) the headlights turn themselves off and the daytime running lights turn back on.

It all happens automagically. :):)

You have done nothing except drive. The car does it all by itself.

As Warren said, be sure to turn it OFF when going thru a carwash. When mine IS actually OFF, whenever you start the car, the DIC displays RAINSENSE WIPERS OFF.

Posted Image

I would expect the differences noted relate to '98 through '04 style Sevilles with OEM HID low beams. With HID lamps, you and GM would not want Rainsense to be toggling between low beams and DRL when driving in and out of a light rain. So, GM turns low beams ON whenever the wiper stalk is not in OFF or MIST.

And I applaud lawmakers in Georgia and other places that require headlamps ON when the wipers are operating.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

texas Jim

Mine works just like yours except for the last part where it tells you that rainsense is off.

Jimd

I have the OEM HID and mine does nothing like that. If I put my wipers to off I have DRL, I have it in the rainsense positions, I have DRL, no headlights. If the wipers start, then I have headlights.

I'm thinking that either they changed the way the rainsense worked for 2002 from 2001 or ted tcb has a very strange problem.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

....Jimd

I have the OEM HID and mine does nothing like that. If I put my wipers to off I have DRL, I have it in the rainsense positions, I have DRL, no headlights. If the wipers start, then I have headlights.

Right. I should have said.... when rainsense turns the headlights ON.

Which begs a question. With OEM HID lamps, when rainsense turns the headlights ON, do they remain ON after rainsense stops the wipers? Like until the next ignition cycle?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

....Jimd

Which begs a question. With OEM HID lamps, when rainsense turns the headlights ON, do they remain ON after rainsense stops the wipers? Like until the next ignition cycle?

Nope, as the rain slows and stops, the wipers automatically slow and then stop. A few minutes after the rain stops, the HID lights turn rhemselves off and the DRL's come back on, depending on the outside light level of course. If it is pretty dark because of heavy clouds, the HID's stay on till the ambient light level is bright enough to turn them off.

Posted Image

....Jimd

Nope, as the rain slows and stops, the wipers automatically slow and then stop. A few minutes after the rain stops, the HID lights turn rhemselves off and the DRL's come back on, depending on the outside light level of course. If it is pretty dark because of heavy clouds, the HID's stay on till the ambient light level is bright enough to turn them off.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's how it works. I've been made curious now and I have to go check!

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I was mistaken. When my wipers are in the rainsense or delay position my HID's come on. When I shut off the wipers, the lights shut off. Just found it out today after it rained and my lights were still on.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Just yesterday I thought I had a problem with mine (01 STS).

1. Headlight switch OFF, headlight twilight sentential OFF and wipers in sense mode (car in gear): DRL's are on and a "HEADLIGHTS SUGGESTED message on the DIC.

2. Headlight switch off, headlight twilight sentential ON and wipers in sense mode (car in gear): Low beams (HIDS) come on and stay on, irregardless if its raining or not.

WRT fog lamps, they have no interaction with the DRL or low beams whatso ever. They do go out when the high beams are on.

There are "always" lights on on the front of my car. Either DRL's, low beams or high beams.

YMMV and hope this helps!

Jim

I guess we are just supposed to put the rainsense on when it's raining!

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Assuming daytime .... With Twilight Sentinal "ON" and Rain Sense "ON" if it is not raining, my DRL will be on.

If it starts raining, the wipers start automatically, the lowbeam HID's come on and the wipers adjust their speed from intermittent to as fast as they can go, depending on how hard it is rqaining.

When it STOPS raining the wipers stop. After a few minutes, assuming the outside light is bright enough, the HID's turn themselves OFF and the DRL's come back on. All of this happens with zero interaction from the driver. The car does it all automatically.

I love Cadillacs. :):) They let me be lazy.

Posted Image

Apparently the older ones don't do that. Mine works the same way except for the HID's will stay on as soon as you put the lever to "rainsense." The only way to get drl's is to put the wipers back to "off." Oh well, I'll just have to put the lever down after it rains.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Assuming daytime .... With Twilight Sentinal "ON" and Rain Sense "ON" if it is not raining, my DRL will be on.

If it starts raining, the wipers start automatically, the lowbeam HID's come on and the wipers adjust their speed from intermittent to as fast as they can go, depending on how hard it is rqaining.

When it STOPS raining the wipers stop. After a few minutes, assuming the outside light is bright enough, the HID's turn themselves OFF and the DRL's come back on. All of this happens with zero interaction from the driver. The car does it all automatically.

I love Cadillacs. :):) They let me be lazy.

It just looks like they took it a step further on models beyond the 2001 model year. Actually, I rarely ever use my wipers as I have a water repell coating on the windshield and it's real nice not having those wipers going.

Jim

• 3 years later...

<!--quoteo(post=100851:date=Mar 22 2007, 10:59 AM:name=02whiteSTS)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(02whiteSTS @ Mar 22 2007, 10:59 AM) 100851[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->....Jimd

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Right. I should have said.... when rainsense turns the headlights ON.

Yes... the HID"S remain on even when the wipers stop. HID"S only turn off and switch too highbeams when your wiper lever is in the off position. When rainsense is in the on position the HID"S turn on and stay on all the time, during a clear sunny day. This feature is awesome safety feature. Cause you will be seen in the daytime and when it is raining and pouring.

GOOD JOB CADILLAC!!!!!!

Archived