CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Service engine soon

timothyr

the light came on while on a road trip and I put another 200 miles on it (completed the trip), car has ~64k miles on it, and the only thing slightly different since the light came on is the idle is now higher in the first 5~10 sec after startup....any thoughts?

TIA

timothy

it seems to be something minor like EGR if you could put another 200 miles. idle is higher...it might be because of the colder ambient temperature (it's pretty cold here in PA)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Wow, adallak was right it is a problem with the egr.

EO48 EGR system Problem

Could be a bad/loose vacuum line or dirty egr tubes, or a bad/dirty egr valve. I would start by cleaning the egr tubes, they are the two tubes that are under the throttle body blades. Carb cleaner should work fine. I would also make sure that the vacuum lines haven't popped off.

http://www.caddyinfo.com/stscodes.html

Use a coathanger to rod out the EGR tubes under the throttle plate.

I think the 4.9 had a vacuum operated EGR valve - if so, have a helper crowd the throttle while the car is in gear. While wearing gloves, feel the underside of the EGR valve and verify that it moves upward when the throttle is crowded.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

so, I was right. You can fix the problem sometimes just WOTing or drive like that ignoring the SES light. I have made some 50kmiles with code, no problem, excellent fuel economy and power. Only bad thing you prbably will not pass state inspection. Try WOTing somewhere on highways (some 2700-2900 rpm) for a few minutes, than clean the codes it will be gone for a while. good luck.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

• 1 month later...

egr is easy to remove. You have to bend and twist to get past fuel rail. carefull not to disconnect injectors. I cleaned mines with a barrel cleaner for a pistol. all you need and best thing I found is a wire brush. replace egr gasket. they can leak too.

Archived