CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

p029

chuckgann

On the way home from a trip got code P094 (A Solenoid) and check engine came on and locked down into 2nd gear limp mode. It cleared ,drove fine for a while , and then reset P029 (B Solenoid). After resetting now (several times), I only get the P029. Should I replace both A and B Solenoids, or just B? Thank you! I had this happen to me about 3 years ago on my 93 Eldo with 108k and I am now within 1k of that on my 94 SLS! Go figure!

Should I replace both A and B Solenoids, or just B?

The solenoid kit contains PN 24211355 contains both solenoids. There are of a newer design and should never fail like the old design.

Buy the kit, do both.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

I am getting quotes all over the place, from $500 to $3000!!! Does anyone (BRUCE!!) know of any reputible tranny shops in the dallas area?? I read in the Archives that this can be done as cheap as $150 if you goto the right place.

Just found a Caddy dealer in Ft Worth that will do it for $350, that is unless someone on the board can suggest a good tranny place in the dallas/ft.worth area..

If that includes parts and all, that's a pretty good price, I don't suspect you'll find it much cheaper. The cheapest I ever saw posted in this site was $ 250.

To find a Tranny shop I started with the yellow pages. Then I called and ask if they worked on a 4T80E transmission. If they said, "huh", I said thank you, good by. If they ask me if it was on a caddy, I would tell them I would like them to change the shift solenoids. Then I ask them if they knew where the solenoids were (under the bottom pan). If they said side pan, just say good by. Just by asking a few tranny questions you can tell if they know what they are doing. Buy your parts at the dealer or online and save them charging you list price. The solenoid kit should be around $40-$60. The dealer charges 3-1/2 hours labor which is 2 hours longer than it actually takes. Check around. Ask other Caddy owners where they go. Hopefully someone from the board knows a good one close by you. Good Luck.

Liberty Transmission did the rebuild on my 96 STS 4T80e; they seemed very knowledgable on the tranny.

Liberty Transmission, (972) 596-1711, 4008 W Plano Pkwy, Plano, TX 75093

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Update. Frank Kent Cadillac in Ft. Worth was the dealership that quoted me the $350 price. I limped my car 56 miles to Frank Kent Cadillac and filled out my after hours slip, inserted my keys and was off. The previous day, I had told the Service Rep, Steve Henn, that I had error Code P029 (Shift Solenoid B problem) and that I wanted a quote to install GM part number 24211355, a valve kit , that contains both a and b solenoids. He came back with $350. This morning I get to work and there is a voice mail from Steve at Frank Kent Cad that he had made an error and quoted me for valve cover replacement in error. I hit the roof, and explained that I not only gave him the darn error code but the GM PART NUMBER as well. The manger called me back and said they would do it for $450. Despite the fact that the dealer 3 blocks from my house would have done it for $525 (and I would NOT have limped 56 miles to save $75!!) Well , I looked at Bruces post and called Liberty Transmission in Plano, they would do it for $250 - $300, so I called Fram Kent Cad back and asked if they had started it, they had, so I am stuck now, but did want to let anyone on the board in the DFW area know that Liberty transmission is a honest reliable option for 4t80e trannys...THANKS TO ALL!

I believe I would do some more talking loudly face to face in front of a few customers and see what kind of service I would get. I would also contact GM's area rep. and complain to him. Look in your owners manual and contact the Cadillac Consumer Relations Center @ 1-800-458-8006 24hrs/day.

Archived