CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Toyota recalls more vehicles than sold in US

Logan

Last year, Toyota recalled 2.38 million vehicles in the US- more than the 2.26 vehicles Toyota sold that year. This statistic resulted in a formal review by Toyota to determine what needed to change. After a 2 month review of its product development process, the significant lessons learned include:

Engineers in some cases may have rushed out products without conducting enough quality checks, nor building a sufficient number of physical prototypes.

Toyota also concluded that it outsourced engineering perhaps more than it should have, and relied on computer-aided engineering and other computer analysis too much.

Toyota is determined to build more physical prototypes in the future to quell recalls and other quality glitches.

Source: wsj.com

post-2-1170911703.jpg

Logan,

That was funeee!

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Logan,

That was funeee!

Regards,

Warren

Actually, our post is somewhat of a low blow toward Toyota. 32 year old car. But...the fact that they are recalling more cars...then they built and sold. Thats is news..

No car lasts forever. GM, Ford, Toyota, Mercedes, BMW etc.

New guys..

Kia, Hyundai etc have knocks comming. Simply the media press moving on. Media: 'We killed GM' lets move on.....'Toyota' now crashing with media. Make sense?

They ALL die sooner or later.

Rusted Toyota picture:

post-2-1170918194.jpg

"Toyota recorded record profits of $3.6 billion, up 7.3%, for the fourth quarter of 2006. The company also reported an increase in sales to $51.2 billion, a 15.2% increase. Toyota's global vehicle production for 2006 totaled 9.018 million vehicles, while GM's was 9.18 million, approximately 162,000 more vehicles. Toyota will almost certainly take the lead in sales this year with its new $28,000 Tundra truck, loaded with features that cost thousands more on similar GM products.

The American response to Toyota's growing dominance? In an effort to boost revenues, Ford will rename its slow-selling "500" sedan "Taurus." Ford introduced the original Taurus – its best-selling sedan ever – in 1985 and retired it only last year. If they'd only called the Edsel the Taurus... "

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I'm far from a Toyota fan, but honestly, it's pretty easy to recall more vehicles than you sell in any given year. Especially when one generation of vehicles might last through 5 or 7 model years. I remember when GM had to replace something small in the seat belt pretensioners of the C/K trucks one year...in 2001 or 2002 or so as I recall. Since all the C/K pickups and Tahoes and such used the same system since 1998, you all of a sudden had 4 million vehicles to fix. Ford also had to replace something in the cruise control mechanism in its trucks/Expeditions a few years ago and I believe that recall extended backwards to/through 1997 or whenever that generation came out due to the same parts used throughout.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Make no mistake, Toyota will learn from their mistakes and probably be better than ever.

Logan the picture of the truck looks exactly like my old 1985 4X4 truck minus the rust. It only had a 2.2l 4 cyl with a 5 speed tranny. It was a fun truck and I used to get 32 MPG. The family grew and so I needed a bigger truck. The cabs were sent from Japan and the beds were made in California and usually rusted out first.

I just read an article in Popular Mechanics and they did road tests of the Full-size trucks (4 door cabs).

#1 Nissan

#2 Toyota

#3 Chevy

#4 Ford

#5 Dodge

The chevy was noted as being better than previous years but not as good as Nissan or Toyota. Fords engine was under sized(5.4 v8) and Dodge was dated. The comment on the Ford was that "all of the other trucks were quicker carrying 1000 lbs than the Ford was empty".

Make no mistake, Toyota will learn from their mistakes and probably be better than ever.

Logan the picture of the truck looks exactly like my old 1985 4X4 truck minus the rust. It only had a 2.2l 4 cyl with a 5 speed tranny. It was a fun truck and I used to get 32 MPG. The family grew and so I needed a bigger truck. The cabs were sent from Japan and the beds were made in California and usually rusted out first.

I just read an article in Popular Mechanics and they did road tests of the Full-size trucks (4 door cabs).

#1 Nissan

#2 Toyota

#3 Chevy

#4 Ford

#5 Dodge

The chevy was noted as being better than previous years but not as good as Nissan or Toyota. Fords engine was under sized(5.4 v8) and Dodge was dated. The comment on the Ford was that "all of the other trucks were quicker carrying 1000 lbs than the Ford was empty".

We have a Chevy HD and an 06 Tundra for work trucks and I would have to pick the Chevy hands down as the better truck. A truck is a truck not a car I don't care if a truck can do 0-60 in 1 second I want it to haul stuff and go where I need it to go and take a beating and still be able to do what it is intended to do. Unfortunately the Toyota can't do any of this, when we first got the Toyota everyone was saying that for there next truck they wanted a Toyota now and blah blah blah blah. Now after a few months of owning it no one wants a Tundra, it just doesn't have the truck toughness (not to mention it's falling apart and is a total unreliable POS it left us stranded in the middle of the desert). I guess we'll have to see how the new Toyota's are but I still think if you want a truck to be a truck buy a Chevy, Ford, or Dodge.

I have been wondering about this. They're playing the fact that many just want a "Gentleman" truck. How tough is it really? Does it *really* fall apart after a while? Time will tell.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

We have a Chevy HD and an 06 Tundra for work trucks and I would have to pick the Chevy hands down as the better truck. A truck is a truck not a car I don't care if a truck can do 0-60 in 1 second I want it to haul stuff and go where I need it to go and take a beating and still be able to do what it is intended to do. Unfortunately the Toyota can't do any of this, when we first got the Toyota everyone was saying that for there next truck they wanted a Toyota now and blah blah blah blah. Now after a few months of owning it no one wants a Tundra, it just doesn't have the truck toughness (not to mention it's falling apart and is a total unreliable POS it left us stranded in the middle of the desert). I guess we'll have to see how the new Toyota's are but I still think if you want a truck to be a truck buy a Chevy, Ford, or Dodge.

The Toyota must have gotten bigger this year. It had a 5.7l V8 that got high praise. The article also noted the Toyota as "cavernous" and the most comfortable back seat.

I am a Ford truck man myself, I have 2, one needs a clutch at 166,000 miles and the other is still going strong at 107,000. Gas Mileage sucks though.

As for the 5.7L Toyota engine, I wonder if it will sludge up, too, like the other Toyota engines that were the subject of the recent lawsuit settlement. If/When it happens, will they blow off their customers again?

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Isn't that the truck from Back to the Future. :)

Those new Tundra looks good but I thought they were more expensive than the american made full sizes.

The article in Popular Mechanics truck prices base/as tested were:

Nissan - $31,550/37,125

Toyota - $34,500/43,500

Chevy - $33,940/41,494

Ford - $38,365/44,945

Dodge - $40,175/47,125

All trucks were 1/2 ton, 4x4's, and crew cabs fully loaded.

The new Silverado from what I have read has claimed a bunch of awards. People may say a Silverado is a re-badged Sierra....but that Sierra truly is a bit different and is higher up and interesting enough no one seems to compare their truck to them. That whole campaign about "professional grade" is no joke. Same truck that gets beat to hell at the highway department you can buy :) When you factor in all the engine and transmissions available for the GM trucks, you start to see they can build a truck to suite anyone needs, and beat Toyota in fuel economy.

The label or "slogan" that GM developed in the 90's....which in a way was true, was that the only thing then knew how to build were trucks and Cadillacs.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Archived