CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

i dont know what happened...

It was supose to be a fun day today...decided to get down under and install th new solenoids...

1st Car didn't start early mornig...as if the battery was dead..nothing worked..car started after i left it for about 15-20 min

2nd after installing the solenoids...filling up the trans fluid and puting everything back to getther...BTW i have lots of pictures!!!..i start the car and let it get up to temp...

5 min into warm I notice all the fluid is spilling from the pan!!!!!!! it wasnt a leak it was basically spilling through the far end of the pan ...

so i jack the car up again and wait till all the new yet wasted fluid drain into the bucket of the old fluid..(had to ddint have anything else)

so i drop the pan once again and tighten all the bolts and do the same with the pan....

30 min later i finally get to start the car and see if it runs like new again...nope, wont even go into any gear!!! not R not D not 1 not 2 not 3 you get my point...its as if the tranny isnt even connected to the gear selector!!!!

and to make matters worse my dad was there watching me the last 20 min of wrking on the car BTW he wanted me to take it to the dealer and not miss school...so he gets real angry and we have to push the car into the driveway and tranny fluid all over the place and everything is just a mess...To be honest I really thought i did everything right...just trying to save the parents $300 but i probably made matter worse....sorry guys i failed..i dont think posting the pics anytime soon...oh and i forgot to mention fluid was still running down from the pan! big puddle on the driveway now...my dad was pushing the car and he got really pissed when he noticed that it was leaving a trail and almost slip on it ....i felt so bad...

its not the fact that the car is still un fixed or maybe worse, its that i missed school, to work on my car which made my parent's blood boil..i was walking around the house with myu tail between my legs.

they ddint even call to the table me for dinner. I just want to apologize to you guys here on caddyinfo...and to thank you for trying to help me....its my fault, i should have listened to my dad...

Did you use a new pan gasket and torque the bolts to the proper values? There is an initial, intermediate, and a final torque value for the pan bolts as well as a tightening order.

Were all of the check balls present and in the proper location?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

BTW,

After tightening the pan bolts, did you add new trans fluid to replace what leaked out?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Do not give up! It's called learning curve. Everybodu makes mistakes and learns. I am sure you did not scrue up anything. Just send your parents to Cancun, start everything from the beginning. You should be very careful putting the gasket and pan back. It's really hard to avoide leaks after oil/filter change.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Do not give up! It's called learning curve. Everybodu makes mistakes and learns. I am sure you did not scrue up anything. Just send your parents to Cancun, start everything from the beginning. You should be very careful putting the gasket and pan back. It's really hard to avoide leaks after oil/filter change.

my parents are leaving for palm springs tonight !!! funny you said that :D

i'll get to wrok on it tomorrow morning (saturday)

i know i was a bit dramatic in the post above..but i really thought i screwed up...i will re-do everything

i wouldnt call it a leak...it was bigger than a leak

Cadi, may i call you cadi for short...

Guru is correct! This is nothing you cannot fix! I have done the same thing myself, AND lived to tell about it...many years ago I was in college...it was finals week....I decided to change the trans fluid in my sister's 1977 Camaro on a Sunday when I should have been studying...just changing the fluid wasn't enough...I had to drain the torque converter TOO!... I talked to the neighborhood mechanic and he told me how easy it was to drill and tap and plug the torque converter...YAH FOR HIM!... I screwed it up during the pipe tapping for the plug...I had finals to study for...my sister was driving my car...I was riding the bus to school...I worked on that torque converter for four days and nights until I managed to silver solder a patch over the hole.... learned a lot from that experiance...do you have a digital camera?? if so, you might try taking pictures as you go, so you can recreate the situation later to figure out where you may have gone wrong...i have used a video camera a number of times when I worked on things that were foreign to me..give it a try... Best of Luck to you...jim :)

Don't get discouraged. You have been through the whole process once. Just tackle it again and you will likely find the problem. BUT, your Dad is right about one thing; don't cut school to make the repair. This is a good job for a Saturday. That way you won't be inclined to rush and you won't have your Dad breathing down your back. If you work on Saturday or Sunday, he may even lend a hand. Good luck. I am confident that you will succeed.

Yep, we've all been there and done that. The first time you do a what ever job and screw it up you feel dejected and stupid. The problem with the school of hard knocks is that the test comes before the lesson. The first time I packed wheel bearings at a Chevy dealer when I was in high school the guy came back with his bearings smoking :lol: I never did admit to that one.

If the trans fluid was "pouring" out it should be very easy to see where the leak is. Sure sounds like it is gasket related.

...i feel better about going back down there because my parents are hundreds of miles away...palm springs...

so i will e tackling the job tomorrow..can't wait!

BTW how much does a new gasket cost? wait first things first...a gasket is a rubber type sealer that goes in between the pan border and the actualy tranny housing?? just making sure...havnt even changed the oil of a car before...this is the first time i have ever got under any car...so wish me luck, i will keep you guys updated

again thanks alot guys...i cant thank you guys enough

Archived