CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Funny Horn Sound!

AaronM

I honked my horn today and I started to laugh like crazy. It is usually really loud and powerful sounding...like it should coming from a caddy. Well, I honked it and it sounded like one of those little cheap horns you by for a kids bike with the little pump thing on the end. It is a week little honk and sounds more like a goose, haha.......I guess you had to be there. The previous owner, also a friend of mine, told me that it goes back and forth between being normal and like this. I think I am going to go on eBay and buy a set of air horns. They have some that come with everything and they are 118db for only $25. I think I am just going to hook one of those babies up and get a horn worthy for a Cadillac!

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

I think I need to buy some of those air horns that are on the top of trains and mount them to the top my my roof. MOVE IT!!!!HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOONKKKKK!!!!!!!

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Maybe I should hook some horns for out the back for people who ride on my butt! Then they might get the point, haha! ;)

Rear air horn+spark plugs in tailpipes=lots of fun!~

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

I think the Cadillac has two or three horns, each producing different notes. For those of you with "weak" horns, I bet one of the horns is broken or froze or disconnected. Check the wiring to all the horns and try to trace the problem that way.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I honked my horn today and I started to laugh like crazy. It is usually really loud and powerful sounding...like it should coming from a caddy. Well, I honked it and it sounded like one of those little cheap horns you by for a kids bike with the little pump thing on the end. It is a week little honk and sounds more like a goose, haha.......I guess you had to be there. The previous owner, also a friend of mine, told me that it goes back and forth between being normal and like this. I think I am going to go on eBay and buy a set of air horns. They have some that come with everything and they are 118db for only $25. I think I am just going to hook one of those babies up and get a horn worthy for a Cadillac!

have a helper honk the horn while you hold your hand over each of the horns. You will be able to feel the horn that is not working. Check the electrical connection to that horn. If the problem persists, replace the horn.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

JimD - what/where is the horn 'relay' ? I have no horn sound at all

-Eric

I have no idea about parts locations on a '93. But there must be an underhood "Fuse/Relay" box and that would the first place to look.

Find an insulated (plastic) box, remove the cover and look at the underside of the cover for a diagram. Locate the horn relay and temporarily replace / swap it with a relay (with the same pin arrangement) from that box as a test.

There might also be a "Horn" fuse in there.

Horns can fail, but rarely. Relay contacts will oxidize / corrode. Fuses are supposed to "fuse".

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

my sister's old truck had this problem. when we got it, it had a goose souding horn. It sounded so *smurf* it was cool, so she honked it a lot apparently! Anyhow one day I got it and honked the horn for like 3 mins straight, until it worked normally. i think dirt dobbers were up in thur!! might give it a try?!

Another thing - Aaron.., Did you get your license yet?

-Eric

No :angry:! July 21. But, I am getting insurance put on it when later this month when we come back from Florida. I can drive with my permit with my dad. I can't wait! I start it up, put it in drive and then once I get the the end of the driveway which is a normal size small one, I have to stop....not fun! HAHA!

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

my sister's old truck had this problem. when we got it, it had a goose souding horn. It sounded so *smurf* it was cool, so she honked it a lot apparently! Anyhow one day I got it and honked the horn for like 3 mins straight, until it worked normally. i think dirt dobbers were up in thur!! might give it a try?!

HAHA! I will have to try that. I first will have to find somewhere where I can do it. My neighbors would not appreciate it, haha! Thanks for the tip!

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

I honked my horn today and I started to laugh like crazy. It is usually really loud and powerful sounding...like it should coming from a caddy. Well, I honked it and it sounded like one of those little cheap horns you by for a kids bike with the little pump thing on the end.

If I am not mistaken, there is an adjusting screw on the horns that varies the tone a little bit, atleast there used to be. See if you can locate that and play with it before replacing them. Might just be a bit out of adjustment.

I've looked at both fuse locations [under the hood and in the trunk] and I can't locate a 'horn fuse' Is there another location of fuses that I'm not aware of.. Or is the 'horn fuse' labeled something else?

I don't have my manual on me :(

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

Looking at the picture, did you ever consider that it might be FROZE? Man, get a new pic, I get cold just looking at that one!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Looking at the picture, did you ever consider that it might be FROZE? Man, get a new pic, I get cold just looking at that one!

huh? My horn hasnt worked since I bought it..

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

Did it stop working after it froze..? Or it jus didnt work WHEN it was cold out?

-Eric

Mine would not work only when it was cold. Once the heater warmed up the interior it would work again. It had something to do with the contacts in the airbag that contracted too much when cold or something like that.

Archived