CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Newbie Questions

Manco

I used to own a '91 Deville, great car, loved it. I sold it to buy a '94 Camaro Z28. It's time for something different and I'm seriously considering going back to Cadillac. I've heard lots of good things about the northstars, and what they're capable of, and have always wanted one. I just hope it won't feel like TOO big of a step down in acceleration and handling. For those of you who know what the LT1 feels like, am I going to feel the need to rock back and forth in my seat begging for more out of a northstar? Although, if my 4.9 could do the damage it did at stoplights, I'd imagine the northstar will be quite capable ;).

Basically, I'd like to know a few genearl things. The STS seems to be the car of choice for those with a performance mindset. So what about the SLS? What are the major differences between the two that would make one more desireable than the other? Different suspensions? Same hp rating, correct? I'd imagine the SLS would have a few more interior toys.

If I'm looking for the quickest northstar out there, should I even consider an Eldorado? My logic says they should be quicker than an STS because 2 doors as opposed to 4 = lighter right?

I know Caddilac's aren't sports cars, but I want the sportiest (handling/acceleration) caddy I can get. Just want to know what I should consider and what I shouldn't while shopping. Thanks for any info.

Get an ETC. I think they are the best looking caddys and they have the same engine thats in a STS.

Andrew Morris

Dallas, Texas

1998 Black Eldorado:

full custom Borla exhaust

Custom intake

1500 watt Hifonics amp

3 12inch Boston Acoustic G2 subwoofers

I-pod integrated

18 inch Lexani Krystals with Z-rated tires

E&G classics Billet grill

BMW E36 Angel Eye Headlights

Ported SS heads

The STS should have more toys than the SLS, as they are the more expensive model. I think the STS has standard leather, power lumbar, heated seats, etc over the SLS. I think the STS has wider tires too.

The SLS has a little less hp but its optimized for use around town etc.

I would imagine the ETC would be slightly lighter, but the STSs look sooo much better :D

-Chris

What year are you looking at?

Man... the 2004 CTS rocks all around.

The 2005 CTS-V is gonna be the shiznit.

Man, I'm sooo glad Cadillac got it together. A few more years of great cars like this and the euro's are going to have to start taking after us!

-Randy

Howyadoin,

If you want sheer balls, I'd go with a '93-'97 STS. My '93 was just an animal off the line. SLSs have a bit more torque, but the gearing and shitft points are less aggressive, along with the milder cam profile. I love my '96 SLS, and it'll run hard, but I don't do the stoplight Grand Prix bit with it like I did with the STS.

The quickest models for the STS were '96 and '97, or so I'm told.

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

When you consider all the creature comforts, you will be impressed with the 'pull' of a Northstar. Just remember you will be accelerating a vehicle that weighs within a few heartbeats of 4,000 lbs.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

If you had a stock A/T LT1 with no mods, I think you're going to be surprised at how well an ETC or STS will keep up. I've surprised more than a few Mustangs around town, and all the ricers,:D , and mine's not an ETC! It wont keep up with an LS1 car, but they run pretty good! The STSs and ETCs have 300HP to the 275HP for the SLS and base Eldo, as well as more aggressive shift points and tighter suspension, as mentioned earlier.

Go test drive one, I doubt you'll be disappointed! :)

95 Eldo---Sold!

05 STS4-WooHoo!!!!!

Thanks for the replies guys. So the ETC and STS seem to be the best performing caddys... anyone have the direct experience to compare the ETC and STS head to head? Again, I think the ETC would handle better due to being a shorter car, and being lighter weight (if it is indeed lighter, I need to google that up).

Also there seems to be discrepencies as to which year is the fastest. Way back in the days when this board was a completely different format (about 3 years ago) I remember a post comparing seat of the pants feel between the years and it seemed a to the general consensus that a '95 had the most brutal pull. Either way I imagine it'd be hard to tell any real differences between years... but then I don't know, that's why I'm here, you tell me :).

Hmm this gives me more to go on anyway... now, if I can just locate a clean, low mileage 93-97 before I locate a Trans Am I might just be back in the caddy camp :D.

The only real difference between the Eldorado and Seville models exists only cosmetically. The curb weight and wheel base of the two vehicles is so close, it's not worth mentioning. It depends on your needs and your styling preferences. Obviously, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some like the Eldorado better, some the Seville, some both, and some neither.

In general, the 1995 and later cars are accepted as the "fastest", because they received an upgraded intake manifold system which released an extra claimed 5hp. 1995 is theoretically the "fastest", as it had the better intake, and it was also a speed density FI system, which means it had no MAF sensor. Starting in 1996, the cars received a MAF sensor, which in theory, might take 1-2 hp away. The claimed horsepower figures didn't change, and the seat of the pants performance would be way too close to call. Click here for a summary of 93-98 Seville performance times:

http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cadsls/northstar.html

The STS 0-60 time averages around 6.6-6.8 seconds. The SLS averages around 7.0 seconds (for the three they tested). I ran mine with a G-tech and got consistent 6.7 second 0-60 times. Performance will vary. Just as the Eldorado/Seville being very similar in performance, the STS/SLS and ETC/Eldorado variants are so close in performance, you should make your choice based on the cosmetic differences.

The SLS is more of a traditionalist's Cadillac -- with some brightwork on the door mouldings, a stand-up hood ornament, bright chrome front grille, and the LD8 engine with a 3.11:1 final drive. Mileage with an SLS will be very good. I get 30 mpg on the road.

The STS is more of a "Europeanized" Cadillac (that's my term). The hood ornament is moved to the monochromatic front grille, no brightwork down the side, lots of plastic cladding around the bottom of the car, etc. It has the L37 engine with a 3.71 final drive. Most report highway mileage in the 23-27 mpg range with an STS.

You can see the principle differences in the LD8 and L37 engine on that link above. The LD8 has more torque, the L37 more horsepower. Field performance is, as you can see, very close. The particular '95 SLS they tested matched or exceeded the 0-60 performance of the particular test model STSes from 1993, 1994, 1997, and all five 1998 cars.

Either version of the Northstar will be very satisfying to you, especially if you consider the "damage" your 4.9 did at the stoplights. There's really no comparison. I think you'll even find it very competent compared to your LT1 cars.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I have a 97 STS, the Eldo looks clean because of its tail-lights.. but the STS has that massive look.. you guys know what im talking about, the look that when you pull in a parking lot that gives everybody that "I've arrived" entrance. personaly i feel that the STS is more of a "mobbin" ride and the Eldo to me comes in with the sport feel.. ultimately its your call.. are you going to be cruzin with a lot of people? or just you and a friend? all i know is im lovin this pearl red on the STS it has its own "bling"

Reggie

2 doors … or 4? As mentioned above, through the 97-model year, it's basically cosmetics. Starting in 1998 the Seville took on a slightly different appearance … inside and out. As previously mentioned, the performance differences between the SLS and the STS engines, transmissions and fuel economy et al.

However, one thing that I did not see mentioned was the handling distinction between the STS and SLS. The STS will simply out corner a SLS in stock form. When I was looking, I took them both out on some pretty hilly and curvy roads. The STS was by far the better of the two. I also don’t know if it is a suspension difference, wheels and tires, steering gear ratios, fatter sway bars or what, but there is a noticeable difference with regard to body roll between the makes of cars. Though, I must add, I doubt either one of them will out corner your Camaro. My guess is (though I don't know), the same similarities would be evident in the Eldorado ESC and ETC models.

Also, to my surprise when I was looking, (I, like you) thought the SLS would be the better equipped of the two. It's the other way around with the STS being the better stocked of the two.

Jim White

When I was looking for my Caddy I had my mind set on the Eldorado, because how sporty it looked. I loved it, but then two factors came into my mind. 1)2 door, all I really needed was my grubby friends climbing behind the seats scuffing against that precious leather with their feet. 4 doors is much better for anything.

2)The back brake light!, I love that huge, yet sleek light that just seems to catch anyone's eyes. I love that thing.

Anyways hope that helped.

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

2)The back brake light!, I love that huge, yet sleek light that just seems to catch anyone's eyes. I love that thing.

Yeah, that's one of the things I really like about the Sevilles also -- that really cool LED CHMSL. And it goes the whole width of the decklid! I think it looks really nice at night -- very eye-catching. And pretty much one of a kind -- I don't know of any other car (at the time) with full width CHMSLs like the Seville has.

I also really like the flowing lines of the Seville better than the Eldorado. The Seville is seemless, front to back. The Eldorado, in my opinion, looks discontinuous when you pan from front to back because the decklid doesn't follow the base of the C-pillar back to the back of the car -- the decklid intersects the C-pillar and side window about halfway up the window. When you look at one from the side, it looks discontinuous -- to me anyway. The Eldorado also doesn't have door window frames, which in my experience with other frame-less GMs, can sometimes lead to window seal breaches and wind noise. Don't know if that's a problem with the latest generation Eldorados or not, but I prefer a door with a window frame.

Anyway, just some additional, completely subjective thoughts. :D

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I wanted an Eldorado since the day I heard one at a gas station, probably about 93 or 94. My kids have grown up and I was really tired of the mini van soccer dad thing. My wife and I don't take trips with friends, so a 2 door is just fine. I had crappy cars in high school, and this is my chance at something that is fast, comfortable, and cool!

Love my Eldorado.

I got to admit I'm prejudiced, I love the low wide look, creased lines and the tight handling characteristics of my 93' STS.

If I was to change anything I would like to "marry" an Eldorado rear body to it. I do prefer the Eldorado taillights.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Archived