CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trunk Lock and Locked keys

kcd1184

Automatic trunk opener has acted up three times over the last year and a half. Quit working but came back twice. Not the battery because door locks work. There is a clicking that seems to be located in the driver's side trunk area , behind the trunk hinge.

Locked my keys in the trunk yesterday. Lake Forest. Called WEIR(sp?)CADILLAC in Libertyville. Long story short. Took co-workers car and they made a door key for me. Got back and it didn't work. Weir said maybe locks were changed, I said no. Told me of a closer affiliate, Shepard Chevrolet.(Lake Bluff) Drove over there and found out that a mistake hade been made on the code. Punched out a new key and all was good. Both places said Merry Christmas, No charge. Mistakes happen but Weir stayed with me and helped solve the problem the easiest way . Thanks to both businesses.

Any ideas on the trunk opener? Glove box button doesn't work either.

Kent

Look at the Valet Mode button in the glove compartment.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Your pulldown may just need a little lube. If I'm not mistaken this issue of the pulldown not pulling down has been a very recent issue and all involving 94 model Cadillacs...so far. Try a squirt of WD-40 down into the motor/ pulldown pin area. Where the pulldown pin or shaft goes up and down may be dry.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

The trunk pulls down fine. Getting it to automatically release is the problem. I will check and see about the relay. Thanks Ranger. Received new oem rear air shock lines (tubes) from New GM Parts. Two new projects. Working back in town right now so that helps.

Kent

Hmm, maybe there is no relay. I know my wifes '96 Bonneville has one. When the trunk would not open, I replaced the release mechanism only to find out it was the relay that was bad.

Hi,

What I see in this book I have is the trunk release is controled by the keyless entry module that is located in the trunk.

The module is in the area that would be the back seat support on the upper left side as you are looking in the trunk.

There are 3, 10 amp fuses in the fuse block in the trunk that may or may not be powering the module as well as a 30 amp circuit breaker located in what is called the left maxi fuse block. No location is given for this maxi block.

Space C3,C5,and A11 are the fuse locations in the rear trunk fuse block.

Sorry but this is all the information this book has on the subject. It's not a very good manual to say the least.

Hope you find the cause.

I have pulled All the fuses just to visually check and I think they are OK. Also the fuses that you mentioned are also related to other functions( I believe) that are still working. I pulled some of the side carpeting away in the trunk and there is nothing on the left side. The clicking that I hear when I press the trunk release comes from right under the left rear speaker.I didn't pull the back the carpet board yet , but I am assuming that is where the receivers are.

I called the Dealership and talking to the parts guy found out that there is a switch assembly on the trunk release that sometimes goes bad. $28 Solenoid is $60 Still trying to figure out how to test them. I figure if I am hearing clicking, that the receiver is good.

Kent

I guess I didn't do a very good job explaining where the receiver was.

The area you hear the clicking is close to the speaker but is infact located on the flat panel that would be the back of the rear seat in the trunk. (back wall of the trunk)

There are several modules mounted to this panel behind the cover. The rss,abs,keyless entry,and a few others.

If I remember right the entry module is mounted to the upper left.

If by chance you still have the owners manual it shows the location of the fuse panels and of course what each fuse does to a point. The manual shows that there are many fuses that power the entry system or parts there of but it doesn't say what fuse controls the trunk release per se.

The fuse labeled THEFT and BODY 1 in the trunk fuse panel are related to the entry system as well as IGN 1. But as you say other parts connected to the system are working so it may not be a fuse.

It may help if you try using a test light where the release is plugged in. If the light comes on when you press the release button you know the selnoid / release is the problem. If the light stays off you'll need to work back from that point.

I have found that there is a trunk release relay in the relay center located in the trunk. This panel is mounted on the back wall of the trunk as well. The panel should have 13 relays in all and the relay located in the right top position as you are looking at this panel is the trunk release relay.

Hope you find it.

It may help if you try using a test light where the release is plugged in. If the light comes on when you press the release button you know the selnoid / release is the problem. If the light stays off you'll need to work back from that point.

I checked my old '95 manual, which I believe is the same as your '94 at least as regards the trunk release circuitry.

I'm sure "what job" has steered you right.

There is no trunk release relay; the solenoid is directly driven by the RKE (Keyless Entry Module). This is protected only by a 30amp LH Maxi Fuse Block circuit breaker under the hood. Were that bad, half your car wouldn't work.

Try the test light.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

(EDIT) I have found that there is a trunk release relay in the relay center located in the trunk. This panel is mounted on the back wall of the trunk as well. The panel should have 13 relays in all and the relay located in the right top position as you are looking at this panel is the trunk release relay.

Hope you find it.

Well, it would seem I over extended myself in suggesting my '95 was the same as your '94. Since both of youse have the FSM, I'm only muddying the waters here.

I'll butt out.

Sorry,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived