CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Weird groaning noise from engine

95SevilleSLS

Ok, so here is the deal. I have this weird groaning noise coming from the engine. I thought maybe it was the powersteering pump, but I replaced that and it wasn't it. Then I replaced the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley and that wasn't it. Now I'm lost. It sounds just like a bad power steering pump though. Any ideas?

95 SLS

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Or, just drive it around town with the windows closed and the radio on for about 20 minutes.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Ok, so here is the deal. I have this weird groaning noise coming from the engine. I thought maybe it was the powersteering pump, but I replaced that and it wasn't it. Then I replaced the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley and that wasn't it. Now I'm lost. It sounds just like a bad power steering pump though. Any ideas?

95 SLS

Is it constant or only in certain scenarios (when turning, accelerating, at idle, etc.)? Are you assuming PS pump from the sound or its' location?

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

95 SLS

Take the tension off of the serpintine belt while the engine is running, if the noise goes away check the alternator (my 1st guess) and a/c for play in the pulleys. If the noise stays, well that groaning noise will be coming from you :)

The noise is only at idle as far as I can tell. The sound seems to be coming from the top and it also sounds like a power steering pump (as if you were turning it all the way to one side and that groaning noise appears). I was hoping it wasn't the alternator, that does not look like a fun job. When I had the belt off, I checked for play in both the a/c pulley and alternator pulley and it didn't seem that there was any play.

If there was air in the system, wouldn't the fluid in the resevior be foamy or have bubbles when it's running?

I used a mechanics stethescope (sp?) and it almost sounded like it was coming from the cam, but that's just a hunch.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Archived