CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1990 Seville outside temp sensor.. ?

The Fred

I notice that it has become inaccurate to the tune of 30 degrees,

It is fine when it is cold,

I blocked the radiator so I think heat builds up near the sensor,

My question is: Is the sensor up near the grille?

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

It is behind the grill attached to the latch support. Why in the world are blocking your radiator?
Fred is in Kansas which is iced over right now. In zero-degree weather, partially covering the grille can help the engine warm up in some high bypass applications. I've seen it on school buses in mid-winter. I don't think that applies to Fred's car but it might.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I used to have a 62 Volvo that had a chain pull below the dash that would raise a window shade type covering in front of the radiator. Temp controle was somewhat manual therafter.

Cardboard in front of the radiator is now like letting your TV set "warm up" for best performance. Sort of outdated.

Unless your in Alaska.

Yeah, I agree with Bill. That is an old school trick from back when you used to change from a summer thermostat (160) to a winter thermostat (180) every spring & fall. Blocking the radiator would avoid having to change the stat. Cooling systems where much different back then. I would not do that to todays cars. There should be no need for it. If your car is not heating up or your not getting cabin heat, you have a problem and blocking the radiator is not going to help. Most likely just the opposite.

I agree with Larry - there is no reason to block a radiator off. That is probably contributing to Fred's improper temperature display. Diesel powered busses and tractor trailer rigs are completely different story.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I agree with Larry - there is no reason to block a radiator off. That is probably contributing to Fred's improper temperature display. Diesel powered busses and tractor trailer rigs are completely different story.

Large truck engines are high-bypass applications -- engines that have a significant coolant flow bypassing the thermostat. With light load and very cold ambient temperature, the coolant might never get warm enough to open the thermostat. If, for example, the heater core is large and not on a valve, it could bypass enough to cause this effect in sub-zero weather in older passenger cars. If the bypass valve is stuck open on a Cadillac or other modern car, it will have the same effect. The remedy is to change the bypass valve.

I agree that if Fred is putting the blocking material ahead of the outside temperature sensor, the radiator will warm it, and this would result in the 30 degree reading error that happens only when the engine is warm.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Right yes it has been sort of cold here,

Not too bad,

Lowest was around 11F minus wind

The thing runs 192F almost all of the time when it gets cold out, the stat is 195 so that makes sense... the cardboard blockage gains me almost ten degrees so the heater puts out hotter air and my fuel mileage improves, see.

The only thing I was worried about was the fans possibly coming on and not being able to get enough air (then they'd work too hard and burn up) but I think they're fine because there's a good gap between them and the radiator.. and they won't come on unless it hits 220some

Yeah, I agree with Bill. That is an old school trick from back when you used to change from a summer thermostat (160) to a winter thermostat (180) every spring & fall. Blocking the radiator would avoid having to change the stat. Cooling systems where much different back then. I would not do that to todays cars. There should be no need for it. If your car is not heating up or your not getting cabin heat, you have a problem and blocking the radiator is not going to help. Most likely just the opposite.

"Old school"

and

"From back then"

That would be me ;)

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

Archived